The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Unable to check for Windows Updates Win7

Metr0Land

• RMweb Gold

I never allow MS to update automatically and had it set to ask/remind me about updates which used to come through thick and fast.

It occured to me I hadn't had any nagging for a while now so went into the control panel.  This was showing a red shield with a large X on it, and saying Check for updates for your computer with a button 'Check for Updates'

When I click on the 'Check for Updates' button I get the message 'Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer'

Needless to say rebooting doesn't start anything.  Given the way MS use American English I'm not sure if this means the service is not running at the Microsoft end, or some 'service' ie program isn't running on my pc.

Can anyone shed any light on this pls?

I never allow MS to update automatically and had it set to ask/remind me about updates which used to come through thick and fast.

It occured to me I hadn't had any nagging for a while now so went into the control panel.  This was showing a red shield with a large X on it, and saying Check for updates for your computer with a button 'Check for Updates'

When I click on the 'Check for Updates' button I get the message 'Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer'

Needless to say rebooting doesn't start anything.  Given the way MS use American English I'm not sure if this means the service is not running at the Microsoft end, or some 'service' ie program isn't running on my pc.

Can anyone shed any light on this pls?

See https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2730071/-windows-update-cannot-check-for-updates-error-message-when-you-try-to

• RMweb Gold

Thanks but as mght be expected MS help is a misnomer.  I downloaded the prog (twice) and it ran some things which tweaked registry settings and Background Intelligent Transfer Service Properties, also I restored the system to a point in mid-Dec to no avail.  It's offering me another point back in 2012 but not sure what will happen if I select that option.

• RMweb Gold

Curiouser and curiouser as Alice would say.  I've just had another sort of manual screen pop up which allowed me to get access to Windoze updates and check what I'd missed (which wasn't actually much)!   Fortunately I'd had an email from Bullguard about Spectre and the other one which says they ought to catch those problems if MS don't.