22 hours ago, 7mmin7foot said:

Probably what he meant  😄,  tis a nice model though.

Steve

Sorry guys I meant RHD

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to get one of these

Lab-23-1.jpg.24ae6399efa138143e090bf11505917d.jpg

It's the Heljan BG in Research department livery. I bought it because it used to work with the APT POP train although a model of that will be several years away yet!

I have only. bought Dapol MK1s in the past because of the incorrect body profile of Heljan MK1 coaches and now having got one its even worse than I thought.

Lab-23-6.jpg.eff64d748763dcbf38280f421be5a8d5.jpg

There is hardly and curvature at all on the end. If it waste for the livery I wouldn't have ought it as life is too short.

Lab-23-4.jpg.793ebc0b7fa2b56602e6ea28c040d18d.jpg

Here is the model up against my Westdale BG. The ride height on the Westdale is about 1.5mm too hight due to the way the bogies are mounted and I need to shave something off the central bolster to lower it. However the Heljan rides at the same height so I am thinking something is not right. The sole bar on the Heljan is much lower so they probably have the chassis correct so I can only assume the body is out. I need to check it against the Dapol and have a further comparison.

Lab-23-3.jpg.02f849b8ba46d3758b165f01b1095e77.jpg

Roof detail 

Lab-23-5.jpg.4eefd4fcc906446a1105b3edeac5ee70.jpg

I think the weld seams are overdone too. 

Lab-23-2.jpg.b93f48deb63b7f9e34b079742bf205b9.jpg

The glazing bars may also be a bit too prominent.

Perhaps I am being over critical but for a cheaper price you can get a better MK1. Its a pity Dapol didn't do the BG!!!

Paul R

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, pwr said:

Perhaps I am being over critical

I dont think so. I'm not convinced the proportions are quite right either - not sure if the windows are too low down or the roof too high* or its just the effect of the flat sides but they never look quite right to me even from side on.

The Bachmann brass which have come right down in price (got mine for under £100) are a very good match for Lionheart in profile and ride height etc although a bit basic in comparison

Not convinced Dapol/Lionheart will ever do a BG as there is relatively little they could re-use. I've toyed with cutting two BSKs in half but the chassis design doesn't lend itself to that so decided the Bachmann is good enough.

*edit - actually you can see the Heljan roof is much taller than your Westdale as starts lower and ends at the same height.

2nd edit! How easy did you find lining your BG? I've been meaning to do my BG blue grey for some time and keep chickening out

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium

I'll start by saying I don't have any O gauge Mk1s and would struggle to justify one*. But I think the Heljan ones are also let down by the very heavy bar at the top of the door droplights, which makes the door windows look too small in comparison to the other windows. 

Considering the relatively limited O gauge market, it's remarkable how many different manufacturers have made RTR Mk1s:

• Lima
  • Bachmann Brass
  • Skytrex
  • Lionheart/Dapol
  • Darstaed
  • Heljan

In addition to several kit ranges such as MMP, Westdale and Easy-Build.

* A few Mk1s did make it onto MSC metals in association with 'Transpo 73' but I'd be stretching Rule 1 to its limits.

• Agree 1

On 28/06/2024 at 09:27, Hal Nail said:

2nd edit! How easy did you find lining your BG? I've been meaning to do my BG blue grey for some time and keep chickening out

Hal - I used HMRS transfers. Originally bought for my Easybuild SK but still not got round to finishing!!!!!

On the Easybuild I did try using a lining pen but it just didn't work despite me having successfully lined out locos with it before. Maybe I was using the wrong paint. I gave up until I had the transfers but have been too distracted to finish it. I think in part this is due to the roof not fitting well.

Paul R

• Like 1

Here awesome wagons I have just finished.

Warm-1.jpg.9fe13bd599fda1dfdc2642a27237b169.jpg

Warm-2.jpg.64ff05c7230012bd38e18a7d5074195f.jpg

Warm-3.jpg.b86a5a778e9e25f3cbfc794ecdb2560a.jpg

Warm-6.jpg.c7f3dc40c722df6e94ab1a0101ce50cf.jpg

Warm-7.jpg.3dbf6e5ea91222526a245ae5ba1d8455.jpg

Warm-8.jpg.7ae1e8699ce3cc6ceedc45ae37594655.jpg

Warm-4.jpg.423b662871b8e677bb1689b8eccafbde.jpg

Warm-5.jpg.f909e709b132b1cbcb55b068cf704312.jpg

Warm-9.jpg.b20cb76495729d42c0b64741d1221937.jpg

The weathering of the wagons is a combination of airbrushing and dry powders sealed in with a coat of Railmatch matt varnish.

I have yet to weather any of my diesel fleet so the class 15 stands out somewhat.!!

Paul R

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

I've not posted recently but I have been getting on with the station building. 

Station-update-1.jpg.6efe6a274458bd7e7335000b061fae0c.jpg

Station-update-2.jpg.ea8be679d8bbf085851c5ba888818381.jpg

Just the window cills to paint and then the roof and canopy can go on. 

Need to make some poster boards for the end wall and cut out a totem sign for the wall next to the LH door.

Trying to source an ex GER station seat bit so far no luck. Any ideas?

Paul R

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

That building really captures the style of the railway structures in that bit of East Anglia - nice work!

40 minutes ago, pwr said:

Trying to source an ex GER station seat bit so far no luck. Any ideas?

This one failed to sell earlier this year - might still be available?

https://www.gwra.co.uk/auctions/great-eastern-railway-platform-seat-bench-complete-2024mar-0204.html&image=2

Or did you want a 7mm scale one ;-)

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

This one failed to sell earlier this year - might still be available?

https://www.gwra.co.uk/auctions/great-eastern-railway-platform-seat-bench-complete-2024mar-0204.html&image=2

Or did you want a 7mm scale one ;-)

Yes thats what I want but 43.5 times smaller!

Modelrailwayscenes.com do one in 4mm and when I made an enquiry about a year ago they said they were going to do this very soon in 7mm like their GWR seats. Nothings ever happened and enquiries to their website via their chat function just go unanswered. 

Paul

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, pwr said:

Yes thats what I want but 43.5 times smaller!

Modelrailwayscenes.com do one in 4mm and when I made an enquiry about a year ago they said they were going to do this very soon in 7mm like their GWR seats. Nothings ever happened and enquiries to their website via their chat function just go unanswered. 

Paul

Duncan Models do GWR and MR types in 7mm, but not GER I'm afraid.