The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

I've followed F1 since the 1950s when, if you were really lucky the news might show a car drive over the finish line as they told you the result. Occasionally the local motor club got film of a race, but by modern standards the coverage was very poor.

As coverage on TV increased I watched every race in the season, these days we have a household embargo in news before the Highlights races, as the BBC, in particular, take great delight in telling you the result.....without any warning!

If F1 goes pay-for-view in any shape or form I suspect that will be the end of my viewing. I too refuse to donate any money to the Murdoch family. I suspect many will pay no matter where it goes. However many won't as has been shown in countries where coverage is behind a pay wall.

For entertainment and damn good, if sometimes dirty, racing the BTCC package is a lot better than F1, but the prototype nature of F1 has its own fascination. 

• Like 3

I've followed F1 since the 1950s when, if you were really lucky the news might show a car drive over the finish line as they told you the result. Occasionally the local motor club got film of a race, but by modern standards the coverage was very poor.

As coverage on TV increased I watched every race in the season, these days we have a household embargo in news before the Highlights races, as the BBC, in particular, take great delight in telling you the result.....without any warning!

If F1 goes pay-for-view in any shape or form I suspect that will be the end of my viewing. I too refuse to donate any money to the Murdoch family. I suspect many will pay no matter where it goes. However many won't as has been shown in countries where coverage is behind a pay wall.

For entertainment and damn good, if sometimes dirty, racing the BTCC package is a lot better than F1, but the prototype nature of F1 has its own fascination. 

Like you, I have a News Blackout in our place, and that now includes coming on here until I've seen the Quali and Race Highlights, I used to watch the Rallying many years ago, but will need to have a look at BTCC once we lose F1.

Like you, I have a News Blackout in our place, and that now includes coming on here until I've seen the Quali and Race Highlights, I used to watch the Rallying many years ago, but will need to have a look at BTCC once we lose F1.

I can thoroughly recommend it. The coverage is incredibly long with several formats in the card. I record the whole 7hrs*, then watch only the races missing out a lot, but not all of the talking and the adverts. 

Give or take!

• Like 1

Unfortunately Virgin isn't... The sooner it does, the better... i had this discussion with one of their operators when i had my annual discussion on how to reduce their increases... I'd love to be able to get rid of all the crap channels...

It’s a shame that the Liberty that own Virgin is not the same Liberty that owns F1.

I can thoroughly recommend it. The coverage is incredibly long with several formats in the card. I record the whole 7hrs*, then watch only the races missing out a lot, but not all of the talking and the adverts. 

Give or take!

Which Station is it on?

Having just seen the 2018 Silverstone F1 eye watering admission prices , I find it amazing anyone goes/can afford to go anymore,  £85 for a child (11-15 years) just to walk through the gate. I haven't been since Brands Hatch lost the race.

Silverstone is not even close for viewing quality, dead flat and you can only see one corner anywhere on the circuit at any one time.  They even have the nerve to charge for car parking nowadays.

https://tickets.formula1.com/en/3226-silverstone/

BTCC is on ITV4, highlights on about 1am the following Monday and again the next weekend . Timing maybe different this year, it won't be long to find out !.

btcc

Edited by micklner

• RMweb Gold

Having just seen the 2018 Silverstone F1 eye watering admission prices , I find it amazing anyone goes/can afford to go anymore,  £85 for a child (11-15 years) just to walk through the gate. I haven't been since Brands Hatch lost the race.

Silverstone is not even close for viewing quality, dead flat and you can only see one corner anywhere on the circuit at any one time.  They even have the nerve to charge for car parking nowadays.

BTCC is on ITV4, highlights on about 1am the following Monday and again the next weekend . Timing maybe different this year, it won't be long to find out !.

btcc

And Silverbum is cursed with a very poor road network, so getting there at busy times is a nightmare. I'm with you that Brands was a much better, much more demanding circuit then and now. Accessibility was and is also more diverse. Of course the BRDC, aka the British motor racing establishment, full of blokes in blazers, owns Silverbum, so that's that. 

He is indeed. Who do they think they are kidding when they say it is to saves costs? What are the FIA expecting the teams to do, sit out the rest of the seasons once they've blown 3 engines just so they can "save money"?

Instead of 'burning them up on the dyno' maybe the teams should run the engines in during the actual race, they could reduce the power output and for safety put a sign on the back of the car saying 'running in please pass' as we used to do during the 1970s and 1980s.

I always thought F1 was supposed to be about pushing the boundaries etc, now its just endurance racing but the 'racing' is spread over a few days/continents.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

Perhaps a candidate for the <a href="http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68755-sure-railway-modelling-is-expensive-but-compared-to-other-hobbies/">thread</a>in Wheeltappers.Perhaps they looked at the football ticket prices...

And Silverbum is cursed with a very poor road network, so getting there at busy times is a nightmare. I'm with you that Brands was a much better, much more demanding circuit then and now. Accessibility was and is also more diverse. Of course the BRDC, aka the British motor racing establishment, full of blokes in blazers, owns Silverbum, so that's that. 

Brands Hatch was much better? I don't agree. Located in Kent so badly located for most of the UK, also poor road access, about half the circuit had no spectator viewing areas,  impractical pits area (I was involved in a club level 2L sports racing car team, in the late 60's so experienced it first hand). I don't think much has changed over the years.

• Like 1

Jol beat me to it, exactly what I was thinking... I find it funny that if something is on in the SE, especially Kent, it is seen as "easily accessible"... It's anything but to the rest of us who live north of the M25! London-centric bias, eh!

• Like 2

Well to those of us who live in the south, things in the south are easily accessible. And stuff in Yorkshire (for example) is not.

Just a function of living in a country that's larger than Lichtenstein...

Though Kent is only easily accessible if you're starting from Kent...

Brands Hatch was much better? I don't agree. Located in Kent so badly located for most of the UK, also poor road access, about half the circuit had no spectator viewing areas,  impractical pits area (I was involved in a club level 2L sports racing car team, in the late 60's so experienced it first hand). I don't think much has changed over the years.

Jol beat me to it, exactly what I was thinking... I find it funny that if something is on in the SE, especially Kent, it is seen as "easily accessible"... It's anything but to the rest of us who live north of the M25! London-centric bias, eh!

At least Brands has it's own ready made Car Park, it's called the M25.

I went to the last Brands when Mansell won after Pequie crashed and the race had to be re started.

We arrived about 6 am with Car Park passes and were told by a very helpful Policeman just to park on the Grass and walk the last mile, as the Car Parks were full. We Stayed about an Hour, sold our Tickets to a Ticket Tout on the way out, drove back to Portsmouth and watched it all on TV. Our neighbours who we were supposed to meet had set their Video machine, but due to the delayed start they only had half hour of the Race, luckily for them, I had taped it as well.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Very true  But it would be great to see McLaren with an engine and chassis combination that is at least remotely competitive on the grid this year.

I'll be optimistic at this stage...until the DNF prove otherwise.   

Would you expects them to say otherwise when they linked up with Honda?

At least they are moving to an engine supplier who has consistent experience in F1 and has supplied championship power units mere recently than Honda.

Edited for typo!

Edited by Jol Wilkinson

Well to those of us who live in the south, things in the south are easily accessible. And stuff in Yorkshire (for example) is not.

Just a function of living in a country that's larger than Lichtenstein...

Though Kent is only easily accessible if you're starting from Kent...

Cornwall to Kent? I suspect Yorkshire would just as easy! No M25 either... ;)