The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

The cars have developed beyond what the circuit can manage, that's why. Just because a GP has been held there since whenever should not be a criteria for keeping it going if the formula itself has outgrown it. If you wanted to run bigger trains then you'd get the infrastructure changed so it can handle the new stock... Or build a new line...

F1 cars need to be able to work on a variety of circuits of which Monaco is one extreme. They must therefore be designed to do so. On that basis, I disagree that they have developed to beyond what the circuit can manage.

If you had claimed that without Monaco, F1 car design would be more optimal for faster circuits & as a result we would see better performance at these, then I would definitely agree with you.

I stand by my earlier statement that Monaco's publicity & sponsorship generates too much money to be dropped from the calendar, so making the cars work at there will remain one of the compromises designers will continue to complain about.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You're making two separate arguments:

- Monaco is too lucrative to drop, which I agree with

- the cars are, in part, designed for Monaco, which I disagree with

I think Hobby is right and whilst the circuit maintains the glitz and glamour and whatever, the cars have outgrown it. It's 20% shorter than the FIA's "mandatory minimum race distance" because it's so slow. It's not that it's the slowest by a whisker, it's in a whole different league of slowness! It doesn't make for interesting racing.

The cars don't really need to be designed to handle Monaco because it's all about mechanical grip. They could do away with most of the aero accouterments and go no slower. The fastest lap in 2017 was less than 6 seconds quicker than in 1985!

F1 cars need to be able to work on a variety of circuits of which Monaco is one extreme. They must therefore be designed to do so. On that basis, I disagree that they have developed to beyond what the circuit can manage.

As I understand it F1 is "motor racing" then I stand by my claim that it's outgrown Monaco. The cars are quite capable of going fast round there, that's not in question, and they are designed for many types of circuit, that is also not in question.

What is in question, and the main reason I have said that they have outgrown Monaco is that they find it virtually impossible to overtake if two fairly evenly matched cars are racing round together, and that we have to rely on pit stops to change the order which I feel is unacceptable...

Unless F1 has turned into Drag Racing (another type of motor sport) it's time we moved on, but as others have said it's a money spinner, pure and simple... I'd go to watch Heritage F1s round there but they'd have to pay me to go and watch the current F1 cars, and that includes watching it on TV...

Edited by Hobby

What is in question, and the main reason I have said that they have outgrown Monaco is that they find it virtually impossible to overtake if two fairly evenly matched cars are racing round together, and that we have to rely on pit stops to change the order which I feel is unacceptable...

Sadly I think this is true of many circuits, with Monaco being the worst culprit.

I would far prefer to see passing on the track rather than with pit stop strategies.

I am sure I was not the only one to enjoy Ricciardo's passing in China, but this only happened because they changed pit stop strategy when the safety car was deployed. It would have been unlikely if the race had been under green flag conditions the whole time.

• RMweb Premium

But there were loads of on track overtakes in China, it's not just about the leaders.

It's not uncommon for an entire Monaco GP to take place without an on-track overtake. It is, in the truest sense of the word, a procession.

• RMweb Premium

Sadly I think this is true of many circuits, with Monaco being the worst culprit.

I would far prefer to see passing on the track rather than with pit stop strategies.

I am sure I was not the only one to enjoy Ricciardo's passing in China, but this only happened because they changed pit stop strategy when the safety car was deployed. It would have been unlikely if the race had been under green flag conditions the whole time.

Right but Monaco is a lot lot lot narrower than China. 

It's not called "riding your bicycle in your living room" for no reason.

• RMweb Gold

TBH, that's the case on most of the circuits, most of the time, and not just confined to Monaco.

I think most F1 races would be improved if overtaking were made a bit easier but the problem with that is, if you overdo it, you make outright speed the dominant factor and the finishing order will be the same in nearly every race.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The cars have developed beyond what the circuit can manage, that's why. Just because a GP has been held there since whenever should not be a criteria for keeping it going if the formula itself has outgrown it. If you wanted to run bigger trains then you'd get the infrastructure changed so it can handle the new stock... Or build a new line...

The Monaco GP is an iconic "event" but it ceased to be a real race many years ago.

The cars just became too wide to weave their way round one another at the speeds they became capable of sustaining. .Nowadays, passing only happens when somebody crashes, breaks down, goes straight on over a chicane, or makes a badly timed pit stop.

Restoring real racing to Monaco would require the cars to be made narrower, or the track wider; neither of which is going to happen.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

So why bother...

(Of course its the money... Nothing to do with the fans who want to see real racing... Silly me... )

People who want to see real motor racing stopped watching F1 years ago.

The only aspect in which it remains the pinnacle of the sport is the amount of money involved.

A good start in finding more entertaining stuff is to avoid anything with Formula in the name. :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

It's a Bank Holiday Weekend, what were you expecting, bright sun shining down on herds of wildebeest roaming across the village green?! :) :)

Edited by Hobby

It's a Bank Holiday Weekend, what were you expecting, bright sun shining down on herds of wildebeest roaming across the village green?! :) :)

I attend an annual event in Castle Combe which coincides with Monaco qualifying.

The weather alternates each year...warm & dry one year then chucking it down with rain the next.

We had a warm one last year so this weekend will be a wet one!

Now I've opened my mouth, the weather will stitch me up  :nono:

• RMweb Gold

But there were loads of on track overtakes in China, it's not just about the leaders.

It's not uncommon for an entire Monaco GP to take place without an on-track overtake. It is, in the truest sense of the word, a procession.

Is it just me that’s disappointed channel 4 waste a live view on Monaco, would prefer they keep them for tracks with some overtaking myself and just show highlights of Monaco....

Is it just me that’s disappointed channel 4 waste a live view on Monaco, would prefer they keep them for tracks with some overtaking myself and just show highlights of Monaco....

In the first couple of years of C4, Monaco was highlights, and I was disappointed as I wanted to see it LIVE, now though I do tend to agree with you, and I think it's because we now have such wide cars that all perform at about the same level on a Street Circuit, hence the reason the Bulls were so quick on Thursday.

EDIT = Still won't need to worry next year, I won't be seeing ANY. :O

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

You're making two separate arguments:

- Monaco is too lucrative to drop, which I agree with

- the cars are, in part, designed for Monaco, which I disagree with

I think Hobby is right and whilst the circuit maintains the glitz and glamour and whatever, the cars have outgrown it. It's 20% shorter than the FIA's "mandatory minimum race distance" because it's so slow. It's not that it's the slowest by a whisker, it's in a whole different league of slowness! It doesn't make for interesting racing.

The cars don't really need to be designed to handle Monaco because it's all about mechanical grip. They could do away with most of the aero accouterments and go no slower. The fastest lap in 2017 was less than 6 seconds quicker than in 1985!

Where did you get those fastest lap numbers from Captain? From Wikipedia....

[1985] Pole = Senna 1.20.450 // Race Fastest Lap = Alboreto 1.22.637

[2017] Pole = Raikkonen 1.12.178 // Race Fastest Lap = Perez 1.14.820

In 1985 the New Chicane after the tunnel had not been added yet either, it was a fast left/right flick, although the Swimming Pool section was slower.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

8, not 6. Good counting on my part.

Ricciardo showing great pace today. Shame Max threw it all away for absolutely no reason, again.

Edited by njee20

Oh dear Max. How much longer will Red Bull forgive before they ditch.

Daniel K was ditched, but Max has a newish Contract, although that means nothing to RB, he could have a 3 Month demotion to TR as a punishment for being SILLY.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3