The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

I tend to follow these things on BBC (they have the radio rights I think, so it gets a reasonable level of coverage), but today I could find the top 3, but it seems like whoever finished 4th - last is some kind of big secret, hidden away behind fluff about how great Lewis/ Mercedes is/ are.

So who did come 4th?

I tend to follow these things on BBC (they have the radio rights I think, so it gets a reasonable level of coverage), but today I could find the top 3, but it seems like whoever finished 4th - last is some kind of big secret, hidden away behind fluff about how great Lewis/ Mercedes is/ are.

So who did come 4th?

You can always check out ESPN.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/

It's a poor headline really. The halo mirror is not banned, and is actually a very good idea. It is the way they have mounted it, to gain additional aero advantage, which the FIA do not like.

How will any driver check his make-up before leaping out of the cockpit without it? Surely we are not going to return to the days when they had to bend down in front of a wing mirror to check their hair was ok? Fred wanted a vanity case next to his steering column, but I think they drew the line at that?

• RMweb Premium

Yes that came out before Barcelona - Mozza Models posted it last week. Ferrari just cried off that they couldn't do it before Barcelona.

Interesting that teams have gone all in on the hyper soft tyre for Monaco - most teams taking the full 11 sets per driver. Maybe we'll see some more 2 stop races and it'll make for a less dull race than it usually offers!

• Like 1

I think that Lowes, (as I still call it) hairpin and the swimming pool flick right / left will be interesting with the quicker tyres. especially with the less experienced drivers and Roman G!

• RMweb Premium

Is that like Loews hairpin? ;)

It's sector 3 where it usually goes spectacularly wrong, the super fast left right into the swimming pool right/left. Screw the first bit up and the chances of kissing the wall are huge (particularly based on my PS4 attempts!), the amount of speed they'll be carrying through that section will hopefully make for some 'interesting' moments!

Or it'll be a massive snooze fest like it often is, with no overtaking whatsoever. Would be good to see some attempts at Sainte Devote too, Ricciardo on the brakes maybe...

• Like 1

Is that like Loews hairpin? ;)

It's sector 3 where it usually goes spectacularly wrong, the super fast left right into the swimming pool right/left. Screw the first bit up and the chances of kissing the wall are huge (particularly based on my PS4 attempts!), the amount of speed they'll be carrying through that section will hopefully make for some 'interesting' moments!

Or it'll be a massive snooze fest like it often is, with no overtaking whatsoever. Would be good to see some attempts at Sainte Devote too, Ricciardo on the brakes maybe...

It always amazes me how the drivers manage to see anything when they exit the tunnel prior to the swimming pool twists! Easy to miss the braking point when you're half-blinded, and with these extra grip tyres, I think it might not be such a procession, with drivers taking extra risks. A few more SC's this year I reckon.

I think it might not be such a procession,

I hope so but I don't think it will be anything different to previous years, the cars are too wide and the circuit totally unsuitable.

I hope so but I don't think it will be anything different to previous years, the cars are too wide and the circuit totally unsuitable.

True, but I am not sure Verstappen, Grosjean and one or two more, have yet realised that!!

• Like 4

How can the circuit be 'totally unsuitable'? That would be like buying TGVs for the WCML then complaining that the loading gauge is too small.

There has been a regular Grand Prix there since 1929 on almost the same layout, long before any modern cars were designed. The cars are all designed with this circuit in mind regarding steering lock, low speed grip etc.

From a publicity & sponsorship perspective it is still the most important race of the season, so it won't get dropped any time soon.

I like the fact that Monaco gets rid of the argument about track limits. I believe a driver should be penalised whenever all 4 wheels leave the track at the same time, regardless of whether they are deemed to have gained an advantage. Monaco's barriers solve this argument

• Like 2

...There has been a regular Grand Prix there since 1929 on almost the same layout, long before any modern cars were designed. The cars are all designed with this circuit in mind regarding steering lock, low speed grip etc....

Talk to an F1 designer and get an alternative opinion. The cars are far off optimum for Monaco: because if they were they would then not perform on all the other circuits in the F1 calendar. If I were running a championship contender F1 team, I'd arrange a safety critical failure on arrival at Monaco, leading to the cars necessarily being withdrawn and save the money. (Not a proper sporting type, didn't get any of that public school 'play up and play the game' bollocks ethos rammed into me.)

I am waiting for the day that it all goes horribly wrong and half the pack 'unforeseeably' piles up and several cars rocket over the barriers into the yachts, incinerating a number of the attending glitterati. That might end this nonsense event.

• Like 2

I like the fact that Monaco gets rid of the argument about track limits. I believe a driver should be penalised whenever all 4 wheels leave the track at the same time, regardless of whether they are deemed to have gained an advantage. Monaco's barriers solve this argument

Where there are still barriers. They have been steadily moved back, and disappeared altogether in a few places, since I started watching F1 in the 1980s.

Alain Prost drove a vintage F1 car around the circuit last year (I think, may have been the year before) and commented afterwards on how much easier it was now with the barriers being moved back or dispensed with altogether in some places.

• RMweb Premium

Monaco generates too much money to be scrapped.

Agreed, but that doesn't stop it (often) being far and away the most dull race on the calendar.

There are so few overtaking moves it's just not interesting usually, unless there's a safety car period and pit strategy comes into play. Hopefully having Playdoh tyres this year will help as it adds a new dimension we've not seen previously.

They should invite Maldonado back for this race each year, not let him near a car otherwise, just to really up the chances of a safety car! Imagine Button from last year, but with someone who was never good at not crashing!

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Where there are still barriers. They have been steadily moved back, and disappeared altogether in a few places, since I started watching F1 in the 1980s.

Alain Prost drove a vintage F1 car around the circuit last year (I think, may have been the year before) and commented afterwards on how much easier it was now with the barriers being moved back or dispensed with altogether in some places.

Conversely there was a video of Graham Hill driving the first part of the lap in (I think) 1970 doing the rounds on social media and it was far more open than it is now.

I can't think of any sections not barriered, and can only assume Prost (and I remember the comments) was meaning around the chicanes, where there are now big run off areas. With the best will in the world, I imagine Prost wasn't quite doing the same speed as even the Saubers on his recent jaunt!

How can the circuit be 'totally unsuitable'? That would be like buying TGVs for the WCML then complaining that the loading gauge is too small.

There has been a regular Grand Prix there since 1929

The cars have developed beyond what the circuit can manage, that's why. Just because a GP has been held there since whenever should not be a criteria for keeping it going if the formula itself has outgrown it. If you wanted to run bigger trains then you'd get the infrastructure changed so it can handle the new stock... Or build a new line...