The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

Ooh, Ray! I'd need to take one of my tablets before watching that!

One woman is more than enough for you; 14 would overwhelm you!

I do hope Ian's on good Blood Pressure tablets, ahaha :no:

Edited by Andrew P

Anyway, back to the Race, or more importantly the Season so far, 3 Races in and Williams have shown no signs of scoring any Points in the next few Races. The Car, according to DC was slower through the speed traps, and slower lap times than China last year.

• RMweb Gold

That IS quite a possibility, they all push to the limit, and all have weak power units, RB has used one this weekend, so that I think (I may be wrong) is one down.

Back to my comment = The Championship could be won by the Driver who drives carefully, and has less penalties come November.

And while we're at it, why not award points for highest mpg achieved.......... :jester:

Didn't it used to be the USP of F1 to be outrageous and cutting edge, not just a faster version of the production formulae.

If they ever put Formula E cars on to something better than the glorified kart circuits they currently "grace" it might make F1 wake up.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Did my old eye's and ear's deceive me, or have we just had a Grand Prix with NO PENALTIES, apart from time / driving ones in the actual Race?

I think you’re right. Ricciardo had an engine change after FP3, but it didn’t seem to trigger a penalty.

A couple of points, (if you'll pardon the pun).

Raikonen has had 2 X 15 points, had he not had to pull out in Bahrain it could well have been another 15 or more, he would then have been on 45 and Lewis would have had less if he had.

Danny Ricciardo  has had 12 plus 25, and a DNF in Bahrain where he could well have been on the second or top step, so he would be on at least 45 points, once again points would have gone away from Lewis.

And then look at what Max might have achieved, and had Bottas not messed up in Aus, and we do have an exciting Championship in the making.

http://en.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/season/242226.html?template=standings

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Mercedes appear to be on the wane ? well the BBC think so !! . BBC again,  McLaren again they say are still clueless, yet are 3 points short of what they achieved for whole of last year already!!

The excitement re Honda lasted one race at the moment , back to the back of the grid again this time , it was good to see however that they never lost any more engines so far. 

Williams very strange it would appear they are struggling with a lack of cash, pay drivers and no money perhaps for latest updates ?

Force India 1 point so far , Econ and Perez are starting to throw handbags again at each other so not a happy camp !!

Interesting times ahead. Formula E in Rome zzzzzzzzzzzzzz watched 10 minutes, more than enough for me . Two weeks to BTCC whoopeeeeeeee!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Great race I thought!

Real 'hero to zero' for Gasly, poor qualifying and then stuffing it into his team mate at the hairpin! Max is trying far too hard to prove himself still. He needs to calm down and stop trying for insane manoeuvres in desperation. It feels a bit like he spent a couple of years making "incredible" overtaking moves, he's still trying it but they're no longer working! Hamilton a bit off the boil, strong driving by Bottas. Great stuff.

• Like 2

Good to see Ricciardo strut his stuff. Wonder how much he took out of his new engine though? Expect this to be the Red Bull story this year, essentially running interference by snatching wins and podiums when the wind blows in their favour.

Thrilling potential event in prospect: Alonso on Verstappen: move over kiddo, age and guile coming through. Priceless hearing Vettel whining, Alonso was ahead on track, you have to allow him his choice of line...

Mercedes appear to be on the wane ? well the BBC think so !!  ...

I'd rate the BBC's expertise in this field somewhere below their pay equality know how...

• Like 1

The only pre race penalty was Ericsson with 5 places for ignoring yellow flags in qualifying.

Cheers Gareth, I forgot about that, he went from qualifying 20th to ermmmm             20th, Pointless Penalty.

• RMweb Gold

Would some one lump that squawking idiot Ben Edwards with piece of 4" x 2" to scream like he did yesterday he must clearly be mental.

It was nice to hear Team Red Bull in the comentary box as well praising themselves, bias or what.  

Mercedes appear to be on the wane ? well the BBC think so !! . BBC again,  McLaren again they say are still clueless, yet are 3 points short of what they achieved for whole of last year already!!

The excitement re Honda lasted one race at the moment , back to the back of the grid again this time , it was good to see however that they never lost any more engines so far. 

Williams very strange it would appear they are struggling with a lack of cash, pay drivers and no money perhaps for latest updates ?

Force India 1 point so far , Econ and Perez are starting to throw handbags again at each other so not a happy camp !!

Interesting times ahead. Formula E in Rome zzzzzzzzzzzzzz watched 10 minutes, more than enough for me . Two weeks to BTCC whoopeeeeeeee!!

Not sure why you are picking on the BBC? The Autosport site and Channel 4 agree with them. Mercedes (according to both Lewis and Toto) cannot work out why they do not have as much pace as Ferrago - they have not said that for many years. McLaren are better off than before, but have given interviews in which they admit they are disappointed, and hope that further upgrades will make a difference - they kept blaming Honda before, because their chassis was "race-winning", but they came in behind all the other Renault powered cars, bar one.

Should the BBC not report the same things as the others, or not report what they are told in interviews?

Perhaps because every BBC report I read has a dig at McLaren, I would call that bias , as too other teams they are just as bad at times without the same comments  ad nauseam. I have never read a Ch 4 report, their commentators are enough for me thanks.

More criticism of Max but consider this: did he get to where he is by driving less aggressively?

Also, Senna & Schumacher used to be ruthless in the same way early on in their careers. This paid off later on because drivers saw them coming & left the door open rather than allow a collision to b e caused.

Time will tell but in 3-4 years time, Max may be benefiting from this.

Good race but I do find it a bit annoying that it takes a safety car incident & quick pit lane thinking to make the race more interesting.

Before this, Ferrari made a huge mistake by allowing Bottas to undercut Vettel & showed that they really are a 1 car team by completely sacrificing Raikkonen's race for Vettel.

• Like 1

Could Lando come in early, possibly after the summer break to release Fernando to do other things?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43780515

My Spanish is about as good as my Greek.....but it would appear that in other interviews that Fred has accepted that the delayed upgrades will not show the true mettle of the McLaren package until Barcelona next month.

I would guess, as perhaps this Spanish commentator has done, that Fred will not hang about if there is no big performance gain at that point. I can't see him deciding to jump ship prematurely, unless there is an opportunity that he could not refuse - where is that right now? It would be great to see a new British driver, but not if the car is still a pile of poo.

Look who's got a NEW PADDLE!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43872000

Haven't got a clue what any of that means, but the watches look nice!

But perhaps it is like the new switch I have found in my Ferrarri Doblo, since my No.1 grandson has become old enough to reach the rear door controls from his heavily strapped in, carbon fibre, monocoque seating position - is a child lock needed now in F1 for younger drivers?

Look who's got a NEW PADDLE!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43872000

Haven't got a clue what any of that means, but the watches look nice!

But perhaps it is like the new switch I have found in my Ferrarri Doblo, since my No.1 grandson has become old enough to reach the rear door controls from his heavily strapped in, carbon fibre, monocoque seating position - is a child lock needed now in F1 for younger drivers?

Ejector seat to fire them through the Halo? :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :sungum: