The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

In Bahrain this weekend for the GP (my cousin lives out here) and have been at the track every day since Thursday.

I think that the constructors should take the penalty for the engine part changes rather than the drivers as these grid penalties are potentially stifling the entertainment that the “sport” is allegedly striving to emcourage.

That said, starting 9th on the grid, Lewis Hamilton is going to have to work for a living today...

Cheers

Darius

post-29162-0-39818200-1523176377_thumb.jpeg

post-29162-0-17643600-1523176441_thumb.jpeg

post-29162-0-02263400-1523176580_thumb.jpeg

post-29162-0-38995000-1523176659_thumb.jpeg

post-29162-0-72967800-1523176693_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 8

Lando - Pole, flag to flag in first race - move over Fred!

Sudden lack of interset in F1 (only taken 50 years!) recorder set for ITV4 10:15 - BTCC. Will start watching after lunch to miss the ads and Steve Rider's BS. Set to record F1 as well, may or may not watch it in the morning.

• Like 2

recorder set for ITV4 10:15 - BTCC. Will start watching after lunch to miss the ads and Steve Rider's BS. Set to record F1 as well, may or may not watch it in the morning.

Lots of lap 1 activity

• Like 3

I think that the constructors should take the penalty for the engine part changes rather than the drivers as these grid penalties are potentially stifling the entertainment that the “sport” is allegedly striving to emcourage.

The problem is that the constructors title is very much a lower tier competition than the drivers title. If they don't penalise the driver then the big teams would use 25 engines.

I agree with the sentiment that the driver is punished for the team's mistake, but I don't see a better way.

• RMweb Premium

As much as I like Max and his style, he still has some learning to do

"He drove into my back wheel".     

Yeah, like he had nowhere else to go......

Cheers,

MIck

• RMweb Gold

The problem is that the constructors title is very much a lower tier competition than the drivers title. If they don't penalise the driver then the big teams would use 25 engines.

I agree with the sentiment that the driver is punished for the team's mistake, but I don't see a better way.

There's big money in the constructors championship, so they won't be throwing that away by burning up engines.

That was an amazing race. Puts to bed the idea that overtaking is not possible, that it is just a procession, and all the other gripes. It would probably have been even better if the Red Bulls had managed to keep going.

If only more of them could be like this. Perhaps they will now?

There's big money in the constructors championship, so they won't be throwing that away by burning up engines.

Perhaps not, but if you ask them to make a choice then 99 times out of 99 they'll prioritise the drivers championship.

Bottas did his best but I think it showed that he isn't quite the top tier that his team mate is. Fair does to Vettel, I'm not his biggest fan but he did hang on well with (essentially) knackered tyres.

steve

Great race that.

The whole issue with Kimi’s pitstop wasn’t good, broken leg for the poor mechanic. I imagine whoever cleared the lights feels awful.

One of the TV pundits said it was an automatic system linked to the wheel guns, but some other teams rely on a person pressing the button.

• RMweb Premium

As much as I like Max and his style, he still has some learning to do

"He drove into my back wheel".

Yeah, like he had nowhere else to go......

Cheers,

MIck

I didn't know that the Red Bull Young Drivers Program taught "entitlement" because it seems like every incident that Max is in isn't his fault...

Edited by OnTheBranchline

I didn't know that the Red Bull Young Drivers Program thought "entitlement" because it seems like every incident that Max is in isn't his fault...

It's normal these days amongst young people, I get it every day when checking if they have tickets for their journey... It runs alongside the grossly over-used (or should that be miss-used) word "respect" which they assume I should give them regardless of how many laws they have broken...

Most  motor sport teams   consider the constructors or team prize as the pinnicle as  it means thay have got everything right including driver choice .In lower formulas drivers come and go but that team prize sticks in the cup cupboard .The financial aspect is also important as  it is a great  calling card on getting sponsors and the next lot of rich spoilt  drivers fathers to cough up .Dunno where it went wrong at Williams .Stroll pere must be sick as a pig .Money cant buy him love or a functioning team .

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There's a fair degree of arrogance required to get to the top in just about anything, business, sport, music, whatever. What often seems to happen is that once there you mellow slightly, Max certainly seems to be a little hot-headed still. It was a shame he took himself out of contention yesterday, would've been good to see some more great overtaking from him.

It's normal these days amongst young people, I get it every day when checking if they have tickets for their journey... It runs alongside the grossly over-used (or should that be miss-used) word "respect" which they assume I should give them regardless of how many laws they have broken...

I took my 15 month old son on a bus on Saturday - he loves them. The patronage were entirely over 70, and among the rudest people it's even been my displeasure to endure. Sure they're the first to moan about "the youth of today" as well!

• Like 2

Just found ITV4 on my Flip Flop from a wet and soggy Brands Hatch, so just going to watch the Clio Cup and then the BTCC Round 2, could this be the way for 2019?

I really miss Brands Hatch. Was this on the full GP course including Dingley Dell (yeah, I know it is spelt Dingle Dell)? I just wanted to type that.......

Best, Pete.

• Like 3