The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

I think we'll have to agree to differ, in my view it's not the Drivers or Teams fault.

The fault lies with the Rules which allow this to happen.

I want to see drivers race on the track, not in the pits.

• RMweb Gold

I think we'll have to agree to differ, in my view it's not the Drivers or Teams fault.

The fault lies with the Rules which allow this to happen.

I want to see drivers race on the track, not in the pits.

I’m sure we all echo the last sentiment, but since pitstops became mandatory to increase the comedic aspect, that game has been lost. In the good old days, pitstops were only taken out of necessity, with John Bolster on hand to talk to the luckless pilot. “What seems to be the matter, Graham?” Hill, wearily “It won’t go!”
  • Like 1

The rules changed last year to allow more downforce. This leaves a bigger vortex behind each car which makes them more difficult to follow. I do not understand why they did this.

They seem to be significantly quicker this year.. probably because they have even more downforce, so passing will be even more difficult.

The only way to increase passing is to allow less downforce.

An aspect of F1 which I do like is that it introduces new technology to the automotive industry: turbos, fuel injection, flappy paddle are obvious items. The hybrid power unit is another. Mercedes developed theirs to be 50% efficient last year. That's a huge milestone & we should expect to see technology from this type of engine in road cars in a few years time.

Less obvious is shape of exhausts, tyre technology but the knowledge all stems from F1 & similar formula.

Aero does little for this because you can't add front wings to road cars, so let's have less of it in F1.

As for pit stops being used for shuffling the order, it sounds like Ferrari sacrificed Kimi's 2nd position for a 3rd to hand the lead to Seb. So even when they are on equal points & having a better weekend, they made him no.2. How annoying is that?

It is not the first time someone has benefitted from a pit stop during a safety car.

Renault also forced a safety car to benefit from an out of sequence pit stop back in I think 2006 but no rules have been changed to prevent any further exploitation of loopholes like this.

The commentary team know exactly how long a pit stop moves the driver down the field & they can easily calculate how much extra time it takes when travelling at safety car speed, so how hard can it be to add this time as a stationary period to any car pitting under the safety car?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Are we keeping a lid on results until after the C4 - i.e. UK terrestrial - broadcast this year? We did that at one time, but it was reversed, I think. It certainly is difficult for those overseas - not including me - to know when that broadcast takes place, so if they have watched it live, they may want to offer opinions! Views?

I think people should continue to feel free to talk about the race as soon as they want. I deliberately kept away from this thread and all media until I managed to watch the race on catch-up today. It's not hard to do.

A new bit of jargon - the excitement of CFD results. Eh?

Looked it up, and assuming he did not mean a kind of investment model, it would appear to be Computational Fluid Dynamics. Whether that confirms that reducing downforce is the primary solution, or something else (or a combination of several things, I suspect, as both Mercs were complaining of overheating when they stayed close, as their air intakes were too small), or it is all complete rollocks, we will only find out when a) the teams agree to equalisation measures in the first place and b) the recommended solution works in real life.

But, I agree - hooray - Brawn has recognised boring when he sees it. This is a big improvement on Eccles who would have just laughed, told us that Ferrarri said it was all fine, and said shut the door on the way out as his fifty pound notes were flying all over the place.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

CFD has been around a long while. From the article, I suspect they are not looking at reducing downforce per se, but how to allow a car to run behind another without losing it's downforce. They alluded to this for last year's regs but it never materialised -along with the increased mechanical grip from the bigger tyres, they were talking about increasing the influence of the underside of the car which is not affected as much by turbulence as the wings.

CFD has been around a long while. From the article, I suspect they are not looking at reducing downforce per se, but how to allow a car to run behind another without losing it's downforce. They alluded to this for last year's regs but it never materialised -along with the increased mechanical grip from the bigger tyres, they were talking about increasing the influence of the underside of the car which is not affected as much by turbulence as the wings.

But there's the rub. "It never materialised" suggests the leading teams have an issue with degraded performance (which is where most of their hard earned goes) to allow better racing. This will require an outstanding combination of science and negotiating skills. Liberty have shown the desire, but, so far, not the competence, to achieve that. Let's hope they can.

• Like 1

Who sets the regulations? Liberty or the FIA? I thought it was the FIA.

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/2018_sporting_regulations_2017-04-30.pdf

If Ross Brawn is an employee of Liberty, who bought the commercial rights to F1, can he change the regulations? Or have I got it all wrong?

FIA needs to do a bit more to at least maintain their credibility:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135071/rivals-want-magic-haasferrari-investigated

I don't think I'm too fussed at all if there are close technical tie ups between teams, If it means the same 6 blokes aren't at the front of the grid every race and it brings some unpredictability to the racing with a couple more players elevated from the mid pack to mix it up, then bring it on.

Back in the day a new player to F1 could go over and see the blokes from March or whatever and buy parts or even a complete car and go racing, Crikey even Ken Tyrrell and Frank Williams bought March cars from Max Mosley at one point, Graham Hill bought a car off Shadow, Rob walker bought various Lotus' (Loti?) it goes on and on. Williams were selling cars for the likes of Rupert Keegan etc.

The same finger pointing was going on at Torro Rosso a few years back, so We all know it happens, I bet by next year there will be more of a technical tie up between Alfa and Ferrari. They should just make it open and transparent and move on, it's already happening. 

Remember all that time there were officially no team orders between teammates. It still went on but with some Academy award winning performances especially with Shuey and Rubens. So they just made it legal to stop the charades.

As long as the parent team aren't seen to be manipulating the efforts of it's customer's and ultimately the results, then bring it on I say.

Anyway, the current cars all look so identical to Me that they all seem to have copied someone, If you pained them all matt black, I reckon even the teams would be hard pressed to pick their own cars out of a bunch :D

post-23233-0-47908700-1522300838.jpg

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 6

Puts things into perspective doesn't it.

He was a bloomin good driver and was expected to go onto great things before the crash, I see no reason that has changed.

All power to him.

And compare that to an OVER PAID Football Player that hurts his finger in a game and has to be almost stretchered off crying. :no:

I don't think I'm too fussed at all if there are close technical tie ups between teams, If it means the same 6 blokes aren't at the front of the grid every race and it brings some unpredictability to the racing with a couple more players elevated from the mid pack to mix it up, then bring it on.

Back in the day a new player to F1 could go over and see the blokes from March or whatever and buy parts or even a complete car and go racing, Crikey even Ken Tyrrell and Frank Williams bought March cars from Max Mosley at one point, Graham Hill bought a car off Shadow, Rob walker bought various Lotus' (Loti?) it goes on and on. Williams were selling cars for the likes of Rupert Keegan etc.

The same finger pointing was going on at Torro Rosso a few years back, so We all know it happens, I bet by next year there will be more of a technical tie up between Alfa and Ferrari. They should just make it open and transparent and move on, it's already happening. 

Remember all that time there were officially no team orders between teammates. It still went on but with some Academy award winning performances especially with Shuey and Rubens. So they just made it legal to stop the charades.

As long as the parent team aren't seen to be manipulating the efforts of it's customer's and ultimately the results, then bring it on I say.

Anyway, the current cars all look so identical to Me that they all seem to have copied someone, If you pained them all matt black, I reckon even the teams would be hard pressed to pick their own cars out of a bunch :D

attachicon.gifShadow.jpg

Its total nonsense anyway Alfa and Ferrari are both owned by FIAT . For some reason, they still try and pretend they are are seperate companies like many others do in the commercial world.

The current cars sums up F1's big problem there is no room for any creativity , a huge fuss if someone dares to even attempt to "bend" the rules, or add a new part or shape . The only place for invention is in the engine/gearbox which no ever sees , that is where the big money goes . The rule book is too far to restrictive, as I said before the budgets should be capped before its too late.

Its  far too sanitised nowadays,the god awful Halo sums is up , I understand the thinking behind it , but sadly you might as well put a roof on and call it open wheel sportscar  racing. There needs to be a element of danger, otherwise there is  no challenge or excitement for anybody including the drivers.

They will probably ban going into the pits during safety cars periods next. Another source of possible entertainment for the watcher to lose. Mercedes will be throwing their handbag about as they lost in the last race.

Get rid of all the electronic controls, go back to  manual gearboxes and small wings, then we might see some racing, not yet another two weekly procession. 

And compare that to an OVER PAID Football Player that hurts his finger in a game and has to be almost stretchered off crying. :no:

Nothing compared to the cry babies from Australia... You got caught cheating, crying won't get you any sympathy (apart from overpaid television presenters) so get over it!

They will probably ban going into the pits during safety cars periods next. Another source of possible entertainment for the watcher to lose.

Heaven help F1 if that is regarded as entertainment... I want my entertainment out on the track, it's called motor racing not motor wheel changing...

• Like 1

Nothing compared to the cry babies from Australia... You got caught cheating, crying won't get you any sympathy (apart from overpaid television presenters) so get over it!

Heaven help F1 if that is regarded as entertainment... I want my entertainment out on the track, it's called motor racing not motor wheel changing...

Well that was the entertainment in the last race !!  :scratchhead:

If this is about the cricket, No one in Australia is crying, as a general rule the Australian Public is totally peeved at the antics certain members of the cricket team, Just about everyone I've spoken to, fully support the bans that have been put in place and most of us think they haven't gone far enough. So I don't know where your getting your information from.

Crikey talk about drawing a long bow to try and support an argument discussion about F1. (Perhaps your still a little miffed about the Ashes) :O

PS if you learned a bit more about us instead of jumping to conclusions or making decisions on what you may have seen or heard in various Media, You might understand that, Yes We are mad on sport and Yes We like to win, but We don't accept cheating. You can have a look at the reaction from the bulk of Australia when the Essendon Football club got caught up in a drugs scandal a few years back, virtually the whole club (Players, coaches, medical staff and officials) received lengthy suspensions or lifetime bans and the bulk of Australians supported the punishments.

Edited by The Blue Streak

Its total nonsense anyway Alfa and Ferrari are both owned by FIAT . For some reason, they still try and pretend they are are seperate companies like many others do in the commercial world.

The current cars sums up F1's big problem there is no room for any creativity , a huge fuss if someone dares to even attempt to "bend" the rules, or add a new part or shape . The only place for invention is in the engine/gearbox which no ever sees , that is where the big money goes . The rule book is too far to restrictive, as I said before the budgets should be capped before its too late.

Its  far too sanitised nowadays,the god awful Halo sums is up , I understand the thinking behind it , but sadly you might as well put a roof on and call it open wheel sportscar  racing. There needs to be a element of danger, otherwise there is  no challenge or excitement for anybody including the drivers.

They will probably ban going into the pits during safety cars periods next. Another source of possible entertainment for the watcher to lose. Mercedes will be throwing their handbag about as they lost in the last race.

Get rid of all the electronic controls, go back to  manual gearboxes and small wings, then we might see some racing, not yet another two weekly procession. 

Well said Mick. But getting back on to the subject of wings, I like the Idea of wings on an F1 car, it's part of the DNA of them since the early 70's and it's a look that people immediately think of if you mention F1.

But I do agree that that should not only be reduced in size but also be restricted to a maximum of two planes front and back, ie a main plane and a gurney flap type smaller plane.

As for all the other things you've mentioned, I think many would agree. Lets get back to it being the World Drivers Championship. Not a championship for the having most gizmos that get you to the front  but cant run further back than first without losing all the performance :)

• Like 1

If this is about the cricket, No one in Australia is crying, 

I was talking about the crocodile tears from a couple of the players, not about Australians in general... Watch the TV Sports News... They were only "crying" (i.e. showing "remorse") because they had been caught... We were talking about individual football players in the previous post, not the General Public, please don't read stuff into things that isn't there! ;)

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If this is about the cricket, No one in Australia is crying, as a general rule the Australian Public is totally peeved at the antics certain members of the cricket team, Just about everyone I've spoken to, fully support the bans that have been put in place and most of us think they haven't gone far enough. So I don't know where your getting your information from.

Crikey talk about drawing a long bow to try and support an argument discussion about F1. (Perhaps your still a little miffed about the Ashes) :O

PS if you learned a bit more about us instead of jumping to conclusions or making decisions on what you may have seen or heard in various Media, You might understand that, Yes We are mad on sport and Yes We like to win, but We don't accept cheating. You can have a look at the reaction from the bulk of Australia when the Essendon Football club got caught up in a drugs scandal a few years back, virtually the whole club (Players, coaches, medical staff and officials) received lengthy suspensions or lifetime bans and the bulk of Australians supported the punishments.

Errr.. he's referring to this, not saying Australia as a nation is crying.