The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

You can't draw too many specific conclusions from testing, but I think that's about right.

If McLaren can get 2 cars to the end of the race they'll score decent points, but Alonso isn't winning a title this year. I'm most interested in Torro Rossi and how Honda get along.

And I'll be rooting for Danny & Max this year. Ricciardo would be my first choice, but I could handle Verstappen doing well. Basically I've seen enough Mercedes dominance, and I can never support Ferrari.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Stats now up for laps and mileages reveal Mercedes did the most - over 1k laps, for just over 3k miles. Bottom of the distance heap were McLaren, but even they managed 599 laps, for 1732 miles.

How many laps did McLaren manage in races last season??? ;)

So, My predictions for 2018. Ball on the line here Lads, hahah

1, = Lewis Hamilton.

2, = Danny Riciardo.

3, = Max Vestappen.

Although Max and Danny could be swapped around, I just think Danny deserves it, as Max will win it next year,  Just a shame I won't be able to watch it next year.

Manufactures.

1, = Mercedes.

2, = Red Bull.

3, = Ferrari.

Anyone else want a punt?

A daft question-

Do they use race engines power packs during testing or are these spare/extra engines and these are not part of their (stupidly small) quota of available race power packs?

• RMweb Gold

How many laps did McLaren manage in races last season??? ;)

Can’t tell you, but this year they managed 40.9% more mileage over the test fortnight, and instead of being 2.7 secs off the pace, were second fastest. It seems they will be thereabouts this year when it all hangs together. “New engine, new packaging developing as we get to understand it” seems to be the message. Fair enough, but Toro Rosso also have a new engine this year, and have managed to get the package right straight away. So much for McLaren’s rich heritage of race-winning design.

• RMweb Premium

Can’t tell you, but this year they managed 40.9% more mileage over the test fortnight, and instead of being 2.7 secs off the pace, were second fastest. It seems they will be thereabouts this year when it all hangs together. “New engine, new packaging developing as we get to understand it” seems to be the message. Fair enough, but Toro Rosso also have a new engine this year, and have managed to get the package right straight away. So much for McLaren’s rich heritage of race-winning design.

I got the impression that last year, McLaren had a very good chassis, but was badly let down by power unit issues.

With a bit lot more faith in the engine package, then I hope that they do perform well in 2018

Given the chance Alonso is a very good driver. I can see him mixing it up a bit amongst the current big 3 (edit) teams

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

I got the impression that last year, McLaren had a very good chassis, but was badly let down by power unit issues.

With a bit lot more faith in the engine package, then I hope that they do perform well in 2018

Given the chance Alonso is a very good driver. I can see him mixing it up a bit amongst the current big 3.

Cheers,

Mick

Trouble is Mick, 3 is actually 6, as both RB Drivers can win, as can Bottas and Raikonen on their day. 

• RMweb Premium

Trouble is Mick, 3 is actually 6, as both RB Drivers can win, as can Bottas and Raikonen on their day. 

Oops - post edited - I meant the big three teams.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

No, they won't. They're hired to play (drive) second fiddle to their star driver (Lewis/Seb resp.) and there are no replacements available that suit the situation with sufficient skill/speed not to look like grid fillers :rolleyes: That is even w/o the expense of ripping up signed contracts mid-season :yes:

Yes I meant to go at the end of the Season, (assuming Danny R and maybe Ocon available) but your right about playing second fiddle, but the Bosses will still want them 2nd / 3rd to the main driver, to get BIG Team Points, not regularly beaten by the RB guys or Al Fonso.

Not the analysis of the three main sites I have been reading. Torro Rosso did have a familiar Honda moment on the final day (anomaly on readings, causing a shutdown) and consensus seems to be that they will remain mid-pack. Whereas, McLaren remain a possibility for fourth, according to the pundits, something they have not suggested for the previous two years, and perhaps better. Because their new aero and traction package simulates very well, and their actual final day performance showed that, reliability issues eventually solved, and tyre, cruising and reliability testing issues aside, they could have returned to being a serious player. Only Brawn have ever achieved success with a new chassis and traction package in their first year (in recent decades), so I would not expect a miracle from McLaren, but there are far better indications this year than before.

Edited by Mike Storey
  • Like 1

Hoooooo Rayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy AT LAST

C4 has updated it's Website.

http://f1.channel4.com/

Well, sort of Andy. Just a race calendar. No comments whatsoever on recent testing or any other current issues. The Beeb are giving more coverage of F1 news than C4, and they can't even show any of the races.

Poor show really.

Well, sort of Andy. Just a race calendar. No comments whatsoever on recent testing or any other current issues. The Beeb are giving more coverage of F1 news than C4, and they can't even show any of the races.

Poor show really.

Yeah, I have to agree, they don't even mention the fact that NONE Live races will be shown as highlights, bad really.

Also in the pic at the bottom of the Team from last year, Ben Edwards is not there. bad really.

Left click on it to expand to full size , Steve Jones and Ben Edwards then appear .

Thanks Mike, If I had a brain, I'd be lethal.  :no:  :no:  :no:

I really shouldn't be aloud out without an Adult, hahha :sungum:

• Like 2

Yeah, I have to agree, they don't even mention the fact that NONE Live races will be shown as highlights, bad really.

Is it? They also say in the same section that all Live Races will be available on Catchup on All4 together with the Highlight Programmes when they are not live...

Is it? They also say in the same section that all Live Races will be available on Catchup on All4 together with the Highlight Programmes when they are not live...

I don't have Catch up, I just watch the highlights on normal C4 later in the day, and stay away from TV / Radio and here until I've watched it.

The British Touring Car Championship Launch is at Donnington Park next Tuesday 27th March, and it's only half an hour from home, and it's FREE. It starts at 9am, and there are Test Sessions in the afternoon, what VALUE.

https://doningtonpark.msv.com/DP-18-BTCC-MEDIA-DAY

I want to have a look at it, up close and personal, to see if it will replace F1 for 2019 and beyond. Race Weekend entry for pensioners, 28th / 29th April, is only £37 or Sunday only is £28.

https://doningtonpark.msv.com/DP-18-BTCC-1

• Like 5