The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

After such a dismal Tuesday, good to see Alonso beating 1m 20 this morning, although Lewis has since gone faster. Despite several battery failures on Renault-powered cars yesterday, Renault are shrugging and saying that’s the point of testing. I wonder if RB and McLaren see it so clearly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lewis has just gone half a second quicker than his pole last year. So much for him not liking the new surface. Oh, and he’s still on mediums. Another championship that is Mercedes’s to lose, I think.

Both my son's have some form of subscription service, either one costs a lot more than the TV licence. 

Having watched some programmes at their homes, I will never pay for a service that has more advertisements/hour than ITV.

• Like 1

I hope the street circuit fad passes quickly. I can see the appeal of the locations, but roads that are designed to get access to bits of cities and maybe allow traffic to flow as well as possible don't usually make good racing circuits...

I hope the street circuit fad passes quickly. I can see the appeal of the locations, but roads that are designed to get access to bits of cities and maybe allow traffic to flow as well as possible don't usually make good racing circuits...

I hate them, Monaco and Montreal may just about pass as an exception, but all the rest are PANTS.

Give me Monza, Spa, Japan etc..

• Like 1

I hate them, Monaco and Montreal may just about pass as an exception, but all the rest are PANTS.

I’ve got a soft spot for Singapore, under the lights and all. I’m just surprised the cars are allowed on the circuit without the road charging devices that have to be fitted to drive there...

Will Alonso loose his cool, he has spent more time in the Pits than anyone else, just like 2017, Oh and 16, Oh and 15 :no:

Meanwhile the Honda engine is looking pretty reasonable this year.

I've had a soft spot for McLaren for a long time, but you do wonder what they've done to anger the racing gods so much...

• RMweb Premium

If Monaco didn't have the 'glamour', that circuit would have been dropped a long long long time ago. 

• RMweb Gold

Spa actually was a road circuit, back in the 80's we drove over part of it in the bus bringing us to a school trip destination :P.

Spa’s former glory is still wonderfully obvious in the roads near the circuit that used to be part of it. Ancient Armco barrier that saw Clark, Hill and Stewart is very visible. And some of the bends must have been great fun at racing speeds.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

An intriguing fortnight of testing has actually told us very little, except that Honda is rather better, and McLaren can still have problems when equipped with a better engine. But many of the leading times were set on hypersoft tyres - which wil not be available until Canada, 7th race of the year. Mercedes didn’t even bring hypersofts with them. Force India appear a bit further back than expected, while Williams and Sauber didn’t make much impact, either. Haas looked stronger, Renault are a bit mid-pack, but the Big 3 still look like the podium-seekers to me. Oz will tell all.

An intriguing fortnight of testing has actually told us very little, except that Honda is rather better, and McLaren can still have problems when equipped with a better engine. But many of the leading times were set on hypersoft tyres - which wil not be available until Canada, 7th race of the year. Mercedes didn’t even bring hypersofts with them. Force India appear a bit further back than expected, while Williams and Sauber didn’t make much impact, either. Haas looked stronger, Renault are a bit mid-pack, but the Big 3 still look like the podium-seekers to me. Oz will tell all.

Yes I agree Ian, but I think that McLaren will be in the hunt for a top 4 or 5 in ANY Race they finish, but it's still not a winning machine, or even really a Podium getter, unless a Merc, Ferrari and a Red Bull all have a car each removed somehow. Where's Vettle when you need him, (think Singapore).

Disappointed with Williams though, I still think they need a better pair of Drivers, 

Edited by Andrew P