The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

Alonso walking back to the pits clutching a wheel bearing really does beat all, doesn't it? I mean, they've had the whole Winter to get the thing put together in the right order! 

They said that, fundamentally the Car was the same as last years, does that mean stopping on lap 1? :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

• RMweb Gold

Alonso walking back to the pits clutching a wheel bearing really does beat all, doesn't it? I mean, they've had the whole Winter to get the thing put together in the right order!

I wondered where he intended to stick it when he got back to the garage...

I think growing up in Britain, with a world-class free-to-air broadcaster (annual fee excepted), we take enforced pay tv rather ill. My tv will get even dustier from next year!

Most people are happy to pay for Sky or Virgin* but baulk at paying for specific programs or channels but Liberty Media have paid through the nose for the rights to F1 so need to recoup their investment, and guess what, we are the ones expected to pay for it.

I enjoy F1 but not that much so I am out as well unless I can find it for free on one of my other boxes.

* other broadcasters are available.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 3

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/22595076/formula-one-launch-live-streaming-service-f1-tv

Wonder if this will come to the uk or if Bernie stitched it up with the sky deal. At $8 to $12 a month it’s a lot more palitible than handing anything to the Murdoch empire.

Digital is no good to me, my wife and I both want to watch it properly, not on a Laptop between us.

• RMweb Premium

Most people are happy to pay for Sky or Virgin* but baulk at paying for specific programs or channels 

I pay my licence fee and that's about it when it comes to TV viewing in the NB household. We're all too busy doing other (meaning better/more productive/enjoyable) stuff than to sit in front of the tellybox for longer than is needed.

It is not a life or death thing - I will survive without F1 [*]

Cheers,

Mick

[*] = more modelling time..... maybe

I pay my licence fee and that's about it when it comes to TV viewing in the NB household. We're all too busy doing other (meaning better/more productive/enjoyable) stuff than to sit in front of the tellybox for longer than is needed.

It is not a life or death thing - I will survive without F1 [*]

Cheers,

Mick

[*] = more modelling time..... maybe

Just lately our TV picture has gone a bit dark on a few occasions, and the Good Lady and I both said, if it goes on the blink, then we will just use the internet for News, and see if we miss it.

Won't it be nice to re arrange the Lounge WITHOUT having to think about looking towards a TV in the corner.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just lately our TV picture has gone a bit dark on a few occasions, and the Good Lady and I both said, if it goes on the blink, then we will just use the internet for News, and see if we miss it.

Won't it be nice to re arrange the Lounge WITHOUT having to think about looking towards a TV in the corner.

A large screen for a PC is not too expensive these days, and would almost certainly run off your laptop. 

[Tangent]

I think growing up in Britain, with a world-class free-to-air broadcaster (annual fee excepted), we take enforced pay tv rather ill...

We don't get free to air in the UK, we are compelled to pay a tax just for the pleasure of owning a television. And then the BBC gets the lion's share of this torrent of compulsorily extracted money. If the BBC really were world-class they would be selling their package competitively against the other options. How much more news of mismanagement by the BBC will it take for people in the UK to say 'enough already'?

[/Tangent]

• RMweb Gold

[Tangent]

We don't get free to air in the UK, we are compelled to pay a tax just for the pleasure of owning a television. And then the BBC gets the lion's share of this torrent of compulsorily extracted money. If the BBC really were world-class they would be selling their package competitively against the other options. How much more news of mismanagement by the BBC will it take for people in the UK to say 'enough already'?

[/Tangent]

I pay some sort of tithe to have a tv here - but never watch French channels. 

• RMweb Gold

[Tangent]

[/Tangent]

At a personal level, the licence fee is well spent. If I add up all my non-BBC viewing, there's very little that I would especially miss. A couple of the ITV whodunnits (definitely not including Marcella), some of the car programmes on Quest and The Big Bang Theory would be about it.

I usually only watch the F1 highlights even on the few occasions when the whole race does get screened live on terrestrial. 

Strictly speaking, there's nothing I need to watch live (the radio is better for news anyhow) and I could structure my viewing to see it all on catch-up with no need for a licence.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

Actually the US coverage of F1 has been very good. Hosted by David Hobbs and Steve Matchett it is very informative without all the hysteria (I think David has retired now, alas).

I can catch 3 different PBS stations at home and can watch all the BBC programs I wish to see, free. Whisper: Also some decent ITV ones too, also ad free. I don’t usually watch mainstream US TV which is pretty dire but really enjoy the Smithsonian TV, National Geographic and Velocity.

I forgot, I recently got hooked on “Hinterland” which was shown on PBS as two episodes one after the other every week (as is Midsomer Murders). Good escapist stuff.

Not too bad at all. 

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 3