The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

Just digressing from the subject for a mo, whenever I post from my tablet and try to insert a grinning emoji thingy, it comes up on my typing, but dissappears when the actual post appears. Can make my postings seem a bit abrupt, especially if some of the readers are a bit humourously challenged and need a pointer.

Just type the words, SMILLEY, ANGREE, CONFUSED, FRIENDLY ETC. :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

• Like 2

Not sure I belive this from Alonso, I'm sure an offer from Red Bull would have been GRABBED WITH BOTH HANDS.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/24454180/fernando-alonso-says-red-bull-offered-daniel-ricciardo-seat

Take two. Different story.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45289011

Edited by Andrew P

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/formula1/45289018

Force India renamed as Racing Point Force India (Name to be changed next season)

Lose constructors points but allowed to race as a mid season entry

Also, drivers to be allowed to retain points garnered so far. I wonder how that places a transfer of Stroll Jnr before the season end?

Not sure I belive this from Alonso, I'm sure an offer from Red Bull woudl have been GRABBED WITH BOTH HANDS.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/24454180/fernando-alonso-says-red-bull-offered-daniel-ricciardo-seat

Take two. Different story.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45289011

I have decided to cease to care about this any longer......

• Like 1

I'm going out on a bit of a limb here, and say what I feel, although I know many will disagree with me.

I am getting a little worried about Alonso, he has taken to making statements almost everywhere telling people how great he is.

Now I don't dispute he is one of the finest Drivers of his generation, and maybe sometimes it is not always Fernando, but the Media that makes things look worse than they are. but as an example, winning at Le Manns, it was Alonso who won the Race, no real mention that Toyota and a three man team, including Alonso won the Race. 

Now he says he was wanted by Red Bull.

Previously he has stated that having a decent Car, he would have more World Championships, I don't dispute that, but so might Kimi, and a few others.

Alonso is a good Driver, but if he were as good as he says he is, would he be looking to retire.

Please don't shout at me, it's only my opinion, and I may be way off the mark.

• Like 3

I'm going out on a bit of a limb here, and say what I feel, although I know many will disagree with me.

I am getting a little worried about Alonso, he has taken to making statements almost everywhere telling people how great he is.

Now I don't dispute he is one of the finest Drivers of his generation, and maybe sometimes it is not always Fernando, but the Media that makes things look worse than they are. but as an example, winning at Le Manns, it was Alonso who won the Race, no real mention that Toyota and a three man team, including Alonso won the Race.

Now he says he was wanted by Red Bull.

Previously he has stated that having a decent Car, he would have more World Championships, I don't dispute that, but so might Kimi, and a few others.

Alonso is a good Driver, but if he were as good as he says he is, would he be looking to retire.

Please don't shout at me, it's only my opinion, and I may be way off the mark.

He is the most self confident man on the grid ...apart from all the others

• RMweb Gold

with Forces India been sold they loses all there points so now Williams are no longer last but will it still be like that by the end of the race on sunday

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/constructors-world-championship/standings

Interestingly in both FP1 and FP2, a Force India car has been the best of the rest behind the Star 6. Ocon this morning, Perez this afternoon. This is a team with its tail well and truly up. And they have been told that while they now have zero points this year, the $36.8m prize money from 2017 will be theirs. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Lando Norris faster than Vandorne, and only two slots slower that Fernando.

Yes I know they were trying different set ups, but he and the Team must be impressed with that.

https://www.pitpass.com/62685/Belgian-GP-Practice-team-notes-McLaren

That chap Hamilton also came through the McLaren ranks - and look where he is now!

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the force India situation it seems odd to me in one respect, they have lost all the previous points for this season and financial reward that could bring, but been stuck with the engine allocations and could face penalties accordingly later in the season and lower prize funds at the end of the season...

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the force India situation it seems odd to me in one respect, they have lost all the previous points for this season and financial reward that could bring, but been stuck with the engine allocations and could face penalties accordingly later in the season and lower prize funds at the end of the season...

I think there needs to be a disincentive to avoid flybynight teams only doing half a season and then deciding they’d rather be doing powerboat racing or some such. We all relish the retention of a good team as here, but while this was a distress sale, it could also be that a team might just sell to a new owner and make money, while the new owner would have a promised dowry from the accumulated points. Stability within a season is paramount, I think. Even so, I suspect one or two corners have been cut to get the Panthers on track this weekend for the common good.

Extraordinary that Hamilton still managed to beat Vettel to pole, despite the clear advantages to the Red machine. Perhaps Raikkkonnnen could have done it if, he had had more petrol.

But what a performance, once again, by the man with the bling!  Can anyone really still think he has his mind disgracefully on other things and is not worthy?

Tomorrow should be good (even if likely to be dry), especially if the Indias can match their qually performance.

It's been shown time and time again that Hammy is incredible in damp conditions which those were... Look at the first lap he put in on the Top Gear track when it was damp and oily and he damn near beat the best time but looked as though he was just playing around (considering how slow that car went he probably was!)... Incredible car control and I agree with DC (or Weber) who said that the video of his pole winning lap didn't do justice to the skill involved...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I suspect that if the race is dry tomorrow, Vettel will win. He has a much better record of demon starts than Lewis, and after two defeats will be dead keen to reduce those 24 points Lewis has over him. I also think that the pendulum of luck ought to be swinging back his way, after two poor races. 

The Panthers will struggle to keep their positions if it is dry, but may well end up with honourable points all the same. 

Will Ricciardo's car mysteriously fail yet again?

Is this Williams's last season?

Can Gil de Ferran find the magic bullet for McLaren? I suspect some configuration management within the whole organisation might be needed to get the right people working together. 

• Like 1

I suspect that if the race is dry tomorrow, Vettel will win. He has a much better record of demon starts than Lewis, and after two defeats will be dead keen to reduce those 24 points Lewis has over him. I also think that the pendulum of luck ought to be swinging back his way, after two poor races. 

The Panthers will struggle to keep their positions if it is dry, but may well end up with honourable points all the same. 

Will Ricciardo's car mysteriously fail yet again?

Is this Williams's last season?

Can Gil de Ferran find the magic bullet for McLaren? I suspect some configuration management within the whole organisation might be needed to get the right people working together. 

How many AGREE BUTTONS can one man have Ian?

But I still think Lewis will fight every inch, proving the Red or Pink Cars don't take him out on Turn 1.

Max should be the one to watch, I feel a Podium coming on there, if the Car keeps going.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I saw Gil de Ferran drive in the early '90s at Brands Hatch, I think. 

An implausible piece of trivia I got from Wikipedia - de Ferran holds the world record for an average lap speed, set on October 28, 2000, during CART qualifying at California Speedway, at 241.428 mph (388.541 km/h), which is knocking on, but now 18 years old. Perhaps speeds had got too high and measures are in place to hold them down. Certainly at Le Mans, Roger Dorchy's top speed of 250.1mph, (400 kph) in a WM Peugeot in 1980 was the reason for a couple of mean chicanes on the Mulsanne Straight. But measured speeds at Spa this weekend seem well in excess of 200 mph, so there is hope!