The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

Mmmm Freddy bars....https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/formula1/mclaren-f1-staff-revolt-over-25p-chocolate-bars-given-to-them-as-a-reward-for-their-hard-work/ar-AAyYSTs?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout

Have seen several workplaces manage to turn a “reward” such as doughnuts into a farcical demovitional event in the past...normally through a tightwad ensuring everyone gets their single one and don’t dare take a second...

• RMweb Premium

Getting a bit / LOT to big for his boots now?

www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/23861393/fernando-alonso-my-le-mans-win-was-greatest-all

I still struggle to see how someone can claim to have 'won Le Mans' when there are three drivers per car .   :scratchhead: 

• RMweb Gold

I still struggle to see how someone can claim to have 'won Le Mans' when there are three drivers per car .   :scratchhead:

Point taken, but there is a tradition of doing so. Goes back to Graham Hill, for example, in the 60s, albeit in those days there were two rather than three pilots. And Nico Hulkenberg and Brendon Hartley have the same recent qualification.

I'm going to seriously struggle with this weekends racing. Looking at all those wavy blue lines around the entire course is giving me a headache*. It looks like painted tarmac so I take it that the track is about 100 metres wide all the way round so no real penalty if you go off line. Bring back gravel traps.

*the red and white doesn't seem to jar as much.

Edited by Gareth Collier

• RMweb Gold

Talking of Hills, I thought of the American Phil Hill, who won Le Mans three times - in the days when winning cars there had the engine at the front! - and was F1 World Champion in 1961. But he never won Monaco, and doesn’t seem to have performed at Indianapolis, both races namesake Graham managed to win.

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to seriously struggle with this weekends racing. Looking at all those wavy blue lines around the entire course is giving me a headache*. It looks like painted tarmac so I take it that the track is about 100 metres wide all the way round so no real penalty if you go off line. Bring back gravel traps.

Not sure about the colours, but when Lewis is quoted as saying that on the Mistral straight he is struggling to locate the corner, all is not well. And he was 0.7 secs clear in FP2, so it wasn’t an excuse!

• RMweb Gold

The C4 producers should learn that the music that they used on the closing qualifying credits 'Ca Plane pour moi' by 'Plastic Bertrand' or the real singer Lou Deprijck was wrong. They're are both Belgian not French and should use it for Spa not Paul Rickard!

Pedant mode switched off....a good song actually!

Good to see F1 back in France.

Edited by Re6/6

• RMweb Premium

Point taken, but there is a tradition of doing so. Goes back to Graham Hill, for example, in the 60s, albeit in those days there were two rather than three pilots. And Nico Hulkenberg and Brendon Hartley have the same recent qualification.

I  fully understand that's the how it has been and will be , but ' I ' makes it sound like a solo effort ,

in my chosen sport there is no way I could win on my own , without a passenger on the platform

the only place I would have managed would be a quick trip the nearest solid object or hedge .

It was very much a team effort so it was ' we ' won our class .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Agree it’s hard to watch - they were saying on Sky this morning that the coloured parts are like different grades of sandpaper and grip a lot more than the tarmac to slow the cars down. The red is grippier than the blue so the slow down is gradual. The cars go though from blue to red the closer you get to the tyre wall. Not sure how well it worked when Ericsson crashed in practice though.

Agree it’s hard to watch - they were saying on Sky this morning that the coloured parts are like different grades of sandpaper and grip a lot more than the tarmac to slow the cars down. The red is grippier than the blue so the slow down is gradual. The cars go though from blue to red the closer you get to the tyre wall. Not sure how well it worked when Ericsson crashed in practice though.

And our French friend in the Hass later :no:  :no:  :no:

• RMweb Premium

Doesn’t look much like an F1 circuit; wide curbs they’re all hammering, backed with those sleeping policemen, run off areas which don’t discernibly seem to slow the car. It looks quite a tough circuit to drive. Could be a good race. Safety car seems very likely.

• Like 2

Just taken some team members 4 hours to leave the circuit  after qualifying.They aint happy.The lady in question never knocks anything being a  well known media type and if she moans its

serious.

Although the Arm Chair and Remote are booked for c4 @ 22.15 tonight, I don't expect the Race to be thriller, the Track is flat, and there doesn't appear to be any opportunities for much overtaking although some corners look difficult to judge.

I HOPE I'M WRONG. :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Not sure about the colours, but when Lewis is quoted as saying that on the Mistral straight he is struggling to locate the corner, all is not well. And he was 0.7 secs clear in FP2, so it wasn’t an excuse!

I was wondering about that when watching the qualifying, from the aerial shots it did look like a vast expanse of nothingness and was thinking it must take some hard concentration just to judge where the actual corners were in amongst the maze of different routes they can set as a circuit layout there.

I was wondering about that when watching the qualifying, from the aerial shots it did look like a vast expanse of nothingness and was thinking it must take some hard concentration just to judge where the actual corners were in amongst the maze of different routes they can set as a circuit layout there.

Yeah, no real markers, unlike most circuits to judge your braking points, like bridges, banks, Grandstands etc,but the Blue does do your eyes in, so in some way, I'm glad it's NOT a live Race.

• RMweb Premium

Watched quali last night. Now ear wormed with that flipping needless music they overlay on the official F1 feed pre and post session that adds absolutely zero drama to the races

Jo

Although the Arm Chair and Remote are booked for c4 @ 22.15 tonight, I don't expect the Race to be thriller, the Track is flat, and there doesn't appear to be any opportunities for much overtaking although some corners look difficult to judge.

I HOPE I'M WRONG. :sungum:

Well that was better than expected.

Once again Seb although punished, came off better than Bottas which seems unfair.

I like DC's idea of removing Driver Points for causing a collision, rather than time penalties, that in Vettel's case was meaningless..

• RMweb Gold

Well that was better than expected.

Once again Seb although punished, came off better than Bottas which seems unfair.

I like DC's idea of removing Driver Points for causing a collision, rather than time penalties, that in Vettel's case was meaningless..

I didn’t see a broadcast, but just 5 seconds for damaging another car’s floor strikes me as just another confirmation of Ferrari’s mild treatment compared to others. Naturally, Lewis and Niki are saying as much, too. Since Ferrari is revered as being the most important team, their drivers should set standards, too. Vettel’s petulance in his last races for Red Bull is still emerging at Ferrari. In order to finish first, you’ve first got to finish, as the saying goes.

What a god awful featureless track not helped by ultra close up shots of cars driving through unknown corners. I suppose watching the highlights did not help but the production was hopeless. It was typified by Stroll's blow-out at the the end - tight in shot that totally missed the incident. The camera angle on the last corner was also very poor.

Nice win for Lewis though!

Edited by Bill Radford