The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

Pump up my Ka ;)

:jester:

Not long now before we really know who's to beat (well, we know that one already: the Merc :P ) and what speed each team can muster. Q3 will be very revealing, whether the silver cars really have a 1000hp engine inside... :dontknow:

The rally spec Ka was not too bad a car. Had it’s own series

For me Formula E is the future .The last race was a ripper .Never thought I would say it but there it is .

It's ok but I can't take it seriously until next season when they won't need to change car half way through. Also taking away the minimum time for the car swap has led to a few dodgy moments with drivers not being belted in properly so not a good move.

• RMweb Premium

It's ok but I can't take it seriously until next season when they won't need to change car half way through. Also taking away the minimum time for the car swap has led to a few dodgy moments with drivers not being belted in properly so not a good move.

It's the "city circuits" I don't like. Featureless and homogenised come to mind.

Neither McLaren broke down or crashed, and they still came close to the Top 10, after all their testing problems.

But Haas were the surprise surely? (along with over half a second gap between Hamilton and the Reds).....

I enjoyed Qulie, and looking forward to the Race.

Lights out and it's go go go, Hammilton leads into turn one

And Vettle made a good start, he's diving down the inside of Kimi, HE'S HIT KIMI, both Ferrari's are damaged, AND THEY'VE STOPPED,  BOTH Ferrari's out on Lap one and it's Vettle's fault again. :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Bottas so needs this. The season opener, and Lewis whizzes to pole, while he stuffs it. Ricciardo out of contract at season-end, and already disappointed at Lewis’s speed, must see a Mercedes window creaking open just a fraction. Bottas must get it together tomorrow to limit damage (sorry) to team points. And then keep his nose clean all year.

• Like 1

Kimi surprised me, where did that come from?

And a good drive from both the Hass boys.

Mid season switch for Bottas if he fails to respond?

I think it will be Vestapen on the second step tomorrow.

• Like 1

I simply do not understand that combination of rules - you have to slow sufficiently to ensure due care (which the stewards acknowledge he did do) but you also have to keep to a minimum speed/average time? Eh?

The article is a bit garbled.  Under a red flag, there is a minimum time you are allowed for each sector (a different one for each sector).  Minimum time = maximum average speed.  If you complete the sector in under the minimum time allowed then it means you've exceeded the maximum average speed → stewards get involved.

They didn't give him the maximum possible penalty for the offence because they recognised that he had slowed significantly.  Just not quite enough.

Edited by ejstubbs

• RMweb Premium

Watched highlights on the F1 app of quali. Not overly enamoured by the new on screen graphics. Too much going on and a load of artifical peril created with the "driver in danger" bit on the left. All its needs is a red line, or them to be highlighted yellow with the dropped ones in red. Not that F1 qualifying isn't over complicated anyway. Bit depressing how much extra pace the Mercs have shown already

Jo

• RMweb Premium

Watched highlights on the F1 app of quali. Not overly enamoured by the new on screen graphics. Too much going on and a load of artifical peril created with the "driver in danger" bit on the left. All its needs is a red line, or them to be highlighted yellow with the dropped ones in red. Not that F1 qualifying isn't over complicated anyway. Bit depressing how much extra pace the Mercs have shown already

Jo

Domination by one driver and one team, even if it's by a a hero of the British working class, is not good for F1.

Ok, prediction time.

Hamilton to have wrapped up the championship with three races to spare.

Vettel learns than you can’t win the championship in the first half of the season - but you can lose it/throw it away.

Red Bull’s challenge to Ferrari hamstrung by the stewards.

McLaren improve significantly during the first half, but never finish in the top three.

The boy LeClerc leaves team-mate Ericsson behind as he gains experience, gets one freak result (a la Stroll in Baku last year).

Big battle for fourth placed team, ultimately Renault.

• Like 2

Jo

Well, one of them anyway....... :stinker:

Ok, prediction time.

Hamilton to have wrapped up the championship with three races to spare.

Vettel learns than you can’t win the championship in the first half of the season - but you can lose it/throw it away.

Red Bull’s challenge to Ferrari hamstrung by the stewards.

McLaren improve significantly during the first half, but never finish in the top three.

The boy LeClerc leaves team-mate Ericsson behind as he gains experience, gets one freak result (a la Stroll in Baku last year).

Big battle for fourth placed team, ultimately Renault.

And throws his Toys out of the Pram again, everybody else's fault except his own.

Ferrari International Assistance, FIA.

Alonso walks before Silverstone.

LeClerc replaces Kimi after Spa

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4

Only three?

;)

Cheers,

Mick

IF, and it's a BIG IF, the likes of Vettle, Raikonnen, Bottas, Riciado, and Vestapen all keep coming 2nd and 3rd, but Lewis wins each one he could well have it sown up by Monza.

• RMweb Gold

Are we keeping a lid on results until after the C4 - i.e. UK terrestrial - broadcast this year? We did that at one time, but it was reversed, I think. It certainly is difficult for those overseas - not including me - to know when that broadcast takes place, so if they have watched it live, they may want to offer opinions! Views?

If you don't want to know, don't come here before you've watched the race!

/me adding tuppence

I agree. I wouldn't post the results in other threads, but avoiding this one if you don't want to know the results should be possible...