The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

I can't see McLaren figthing for wins on a regular basis this season.

I still believe that their reason for signing with Honda in the first place was sound. With another engine, they will always be behind another team. Red Bull have more experience with the Renault package & have a good chassis to go with it. Any gains McLaren make will be cancelled out by gains Red Bull make.

Honda are taking much longer to catch up than I expected.

I believe that McLaren's decision to switch to Renault engines was aimed at being more competitive in 2019.

I can't see McLaren figthing for wins on a regular basis this season.

I still believe that their reason for signing with Honda in the first place was sound. With another engine, they will always be behind another team. Red Bull have more experience with the Renault package & have a good chassis to go with it. Any gains McLaren make will be cancelled out by gains Red Bull make.

Honda are taking much longer to catch up than I expected.

I believe that McLaren's decision to switch to Renault engines was aimed at being more competitive in 2019.

Yes, then the Rules will change again in 2020. :no:  :no:

Yes, then the Rules will change again in 2020. :no:  :no:

You do realise 'they' have to keep Ferrari happy or they will throw their teddy out again dont you?

Edited by royaloak

Something needs to be done asap. 

Declining audiences , next year no free TV at all. As I have said before BTCC is free viewing and the whole day is shown on ITV 4 with proper racing. Brands Hatch, have free access Test day on the 29th, most of the Teams are expected, sadly the weather forecast is not good at the moment.

Sponsors are going to walk before long, if not already  . e.g McLaren still have no title sponsor.

If Ferrari go a good thing ?, they think they have FIA by the throat and need to be put in their place. As usual no Team is bigger than the Dog , Ferrari are wagging the proverbial FIA Tail at the moment.

Better racing easy ? all teams have the same budget limit. Ecclestone is to blame for most of F1 ills, and is still popping up with (edit UN)needed comments !!, and should have been ousted many years ago.

Edited by micklner

I think that, if this were to happen, it might not be a bad thing; https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/134971/ecclestone-liberty-cant-ignore-breakaway-threat

Might make for more interesting racing?

I understand the view that concurs with that. But I have my doubts.

On the one hand, if the rich, breakaway teams form their own race series, they will dominate that even more than now and "racing" may not be the result.

On the other, assuming Liberty have to keep F1 going in some guise, so as not to completely lose their investment, they will be left with a set of second tier teams, perhaps with some new entrants, but a series that may require a levelling to ensure new entrants and keep the series affordable for those with less deep pockets. This would not make it any different from F2 or NASCAR etc.

In both cases, sponsorship will be at best divided, at worst partially or significantly lost, so either costs must be radically reduced or more of the costs sought from pay-media and/or spectators.

I hope all parties realise that, for all its faults, the current series is recognised as the peak of racing technology and racecraft (even if the races, or even whole seasons, have not necessarily resulted in enough great "racing"). Other formats may be more exciting for the purists, or more futuristic, such as the e-series, but none attracts as much global attention, and therefore money and talent, as F1. I hope all see compromise and evolution as the way ahead.

• Like 1

Having said that, F1 is (still) basking in the glory of days long since past. :rolleyes:  If it wasn't for past heroics, modern media would totally ignore it, especially in the US with their more popular NASCAR series (and others).

But one important thing to remember: there's a reason other main car manufacturers (like Toyota, BMW, GM, Ford and most obviously VW with their Porsche brand) are NOT in F1 :rolleyes:  Connect the dots yourself ;)

...... for the moment. Lambo (for VAG) are actively involved in 2021 discussions. They stayed out whilst Bernie was around, because the previous CEO hated him, and the next one was very pro-F1, but was sacked after the emissions scandal. VAG seem to believe they have gone as far as they can with WEC and Le Mans. Toyota were hopeless in F1, but seem to be looking at Formula E again. BMW don't have the money. GM have sold up in Europe, and Ford, well what have they got to bring to the party?

Indycar have only two engine suppliers, but are trying to attract more, with little success it seems.

So the dots, other than cost, with the 2021 regs up for grabs, are not that easy to join up right now. But if pay-media conquers all, then I guess you will be right.

• Like 1

...... for the moment. Lambo (for VAG) are actively involved in 2021 discussions. They stayed out whilst Bernie was around, because the previous CEO hated him, and the next one was very pro-F1, but was sacked after the emissions scandal. VAG seem to believe they have gone as far as they can with WEC and Le Mans. Toyota were hopeless in F1, but seem to be looking at Formula E again. BMW don't have the money. GM have sold up in Europe, and Ford, well what have they got to bring to the party?

Indycar have only two engine suppliers, but are trying to attract more, with little success it seems.

So the dots, other than cost, with the 2021 regs up for grabs, are not that easy to join up right now. But if pay-media conquers all, then I guess you will be right.

Fiesta on Steroids?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oz FP1&2 show a familiar pattern at the front, but McLaren and Haas are showing more of the testing weeks’ speed to good effect. Renault, Force India looking ordinary, Williams and Sauber still not good, and Toro Rosso maybe a bit disappointing compared to Barcelona. With uncertain weather over the weekend, we may still get a real race.

Something needs to be done asap. 

Declining audiences , next year no free TV at all. As I have said before BTCC is free viewing and the whole day is shown on ITV 4 with proper racing. Brands Hatch, have free access Test day on the 29th, most of the Teams are expected, sadly the weather forecast is not good at the moment.

From that article...

"Liberty...

"They are marketing people, TV people. Sport for them is entertainment, it is about engagement with the fans. Creating a better experience for the viewer and the fan."

As long as you pay them for it...

Signs are so far that Liberty are doing anything but engaging with the fans... Or we wouldn't be having this debate...

I simply do not understand that combination of rules - you have to slow sufficiently to ensure due care (which the stewards acknowledge he did do) but you also have to keep to a minimum speed/average time? Eh?

• RMweb Gold

I simply do not understand that combination of rules - you have to slow sufficiently to ensure due care (which the stewards acknowledge he did do) but you also have to keep to a minimum speed/average time? Eh?

Is it intended to ensure drivers remain separated, rather than Driver A slowing so much the Driver B, also respecting the maximum, finds Driver A unexpectedly going too slowly? Just a guess.

Is it intended to ensure drivers remain separated, rather than Driver A slowing so much the Driver B, also respecting the maximum, finds Driver A unexpectedly going too slowly? Just a guess.

It's a Rule that is neither one nor touther, and must be a nightmare for a Driver to try and keep within.