The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

There's plenty of other features which would fail an MoT on a F1 car.

The wheels not being enclosed by bodywork, the lack of lighting, the tread on the tyres...

They dont obstruct your vision go they!

• RMweb Premium

In fact if you had a thing like that in your car blocking ones vision it would fail the MOT.......remember that a chip on the windscreen in line with the drivers vision is an MOT failure 

Yet people hang objects from their interior mirrors and seem to get away with it. Mind you when I see anything hanging from a rear view mirror I expect the car to be driven by a hen/cockwomble and I have not been disappointed yet.

Yet people hang objects from their interior mirrors and seem to get away with it. Mind you when I see anything hanging from a rear view mirror I expect the car to be driven by a hen/cockwomble and I have not been disappointed yet.

Have you been following my missus?

Actually, that is very unlikely because nobody can keep up with her on the school run, not even an exocet missile!

I suspect we'll get used to the Halo, like we did higher cockpit sides. I fail to see how a support on the centreline will help visibility, but it should add some protection. Frankly two supports would look better and allow for clear forward vision. We'll see!

I suspect we'll get used to the Halo, like we did higher cockpit sides. I fail to see how a support on the centreline will help visibility, but it should add some protection. Frankly two supports would look better and allow for clear forward vision. We'll see!

I agree, and with one in the Middle, Vettel can blame the RULES, Halo and Centre Bar,  if he runs into the back of Lewis again, :O basically ANYTHING but himself. :no:  :no:  :no:

That's one way to make room for Ricciardo in a silver car for 2019... :rolleyes:

If that does happen, will there be a future for VB in F1? I would be a major step back into a B Team, such as Williams again or Renault, or maybe replace AlFonso at McLaren.

I think perhaps they just want a one-two next year, not that he'll challenge Hammy for the title... A good second driver that will bring home the points and keep the wolves (sorry, Ferrari's) at bay...

I think perhaps they just want a one-two next year, not that he'll challenge Hammy for the title... A good second driver that will bring home the points and keep the wolves (sorry, Ferrari's) at bay...

Yes the Prancing Horses were certainly just Prancing at the  end of last year. I hope it remains that way.

Given that F1 is not completely safe and never can be, I am pretty sure they want a driver who can win the championship in both their cars. It's all to play for as far as Bottas is concerned. Is he playing Barrichello to Hamilton's 'Schumacher' or does he go into each event with as good a chance of a win as Hamilton? He needs the latter for a continuing career with real championship winning potential. That's the downside in being in the class car of the field: if you can't get the results with the best equipment, then you ain't going to get the break anywhere else (unless you are stupendously lucky, or can pony up a mountain of cash, which amounts to the same thing).

• RMweb Premium

Is this the end of the Kubica dream?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42579911

The Russian, who has a reported budget of €15m (£13.3m), was faster than rival Robert Kubica after the team had fully analysed all the data from the test.

Sirotkin has a bigger budget than Kubica by a factor of about two, but the team insist the decision is primarily performance-based.

Faster and more money to bring in.

Tough choice?

.... not.

Cheers,

Mick

I doubt there's any chance that Hamilton will retire before he's had all the juice out of the Merc.

He certainly wont want another good driver getting in the car and winning everything will he!

Is he a good driver? Absolutely!

Is he the best driver out there? Um difficult one!

Was the Mercedes the best car last year? Absolutely!

A good driver in the best car will get better results than the best driver in a good car!

One thing Hammi can do is get the car set up well for each track!

Edited by royaloak

He certainly wont want another good driver getting in the car and winning everything will he!

He took a great risk in moving there, many people thought it was the wrong move at the time... It paid off, he deserves the chance to milk it for all it's worth... Mercedes want to win as many titles as possible, having two drivers of equal status can prevent that with them fighting over the points and potentially taking each other out and handing the Drivers title to someone else. That why it's best for them with one Top Dog and one who will bring in the 2nd and 3rd and the odd win to make sure Merc get the Constructors and help the TD get the Drivers by preventing anyone else getting in there. What they have at the moment allows that and there's no in-fighting... I suspect they'd rather keep the status quo...

Edited by Hobby

• RMweb Premium

He took a great risk in moving there, many people thought it was the wrong move at the time... It paid off, he deserves the chance to milk it for all it's worth... Mercedes want to win as many titles as possible, having two drivers of equal status can prevent that with them fighting over the points and potentially taking each other out and handing the Drivers title to someone else. That why it's best for them with one Top Dog and one who will bring in the 2nd and 3rd and the odd win to make sure Merc get the Constructors and help the TD get the Drivers by preventing anyone else getting in there. What they have at the moment allows that and there's no in-fighting... I suspect they'd rather keep the status quo...

So it's okay that Hammy wants a number 2 driver but people here mock Vettel for wanting the same thing.

• RMweb Premium

Yes the Prancing Horses were certainly just Prancing at the end of last year. I hope it remains that way.

I think that the last thing that F1 needs is one driver/one team dominating even if it's by an English driver. The Mercedes streak from 2014-2016 was far more dominant than the Vettel/Red Bull streak of 2010 to 2013. From 2010 to 2013, Red Bull only won about 50% of the total races. From 2014 to 2016, Mercedes won 85% of the total races. 2010 and 2013 were two of the most exciting seasons in recent memory. The only thing that saved us from being utterly bored from 2014 to 2016 was the Hamilton/Rosberg rivalry. If Hamilton had an average number 2 driver as a teammate, it would have been Michael Schumacher 2002/2004 esque domination by Lewis.

In short, I think some people here need to stop thinking like it's WW2/The Italian Job where the Italians are the bad guys.

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Like 2

I think that the last thing that F1 needs is one driver/one team dominating even if it's by an English driver. The Mercedes streak from 2014-2016 was far more dominant than the Vettel/Red Bull streak of 2010 to 2013. From 2010 to 2013, Red Bull only won about 50% of the total races. From 2014 to 2016, Mercedes won 85% of the total races. 2010 and 2013 were two of the most exciting seasons in recent memory. The only thing that saved us from being utterly bored from 2014 to 2016 was the Hamilton/Rosberg rivalry. If Hamilton had an average number 2 driver as a teammate, it would have been Michael Schumacher 2002/2004 esque domination by Lewis.

In short, I think some people here need to stop thinking like it's WW2/The Italian Job where the Italians are the bad guys. 

I don't think there the Bad Guys, I just feel that if they don't get it all there own way, they throw their toys out of the pram, which looks bad for the Sport as a whole.

I still say EVERY Team should have the same Start Money, Travel Money, Prize Money and the same say at the Table..

Anyway, the weeks are getting shorter to the start of Testing, :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Except it isn't true, that claim about Ocon being equal to Verstappen. He isn't, and they know it. If he was, he'd been swoon all over by the top teams, and they aren't. Does the guy have talent? Sure, he wouldn't be in F1 otherwise. But he didn't show the qualities on the track that made Max a household name in just a few years in a car that was better (more reliable) then the material Verstappen had at Toro Rosso. You only have one chance to impress, Max took it, Ocon not so much. :no:

Nice bit of fan mania Vincent , but as Max has been in F1 since 2015 and Ocon only started in F1

halfway through the 2016 season with Manor racing , who were never going to get anywhere , and did'nt

get a decent car till last year , I don't think your arguement holds a lot of water .

Last year he soon started putting pressure on Perez , who was widely touted as a future red car star ,

and beating him on several occasions .

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 2