Suggestions for DMU Models for Layout

Hi all,

As some would know I currently have a Bachmann Class 108 in Refurbished White/Blue. Although now I'm looking for some other DMU's to go with it on my layout. Could anyone point me in the right direction in terms of decent (and cheap!) DMU models. I've been considering a Class 101 and 121, but I'd like some opinions before settling on a final decision.

Thanks to all that contribute!

EDIT: I model in the 1975 - 1985 period, so preferably I'm looking for BR Plain Blue or Refurbished White/Blue liveried models please!

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

• RMweb Premium

Class of unit depends on location in any era, but off the top of my head (how awake am I on Jan 1st?):

101 Almost anywhere but particularly East Anglia, NE and SW England and most of Wales

103 North Wales

104 South Manchester and Trans Pennine

105 East Anglia

107 SW Scotland

108 NW England and Yorkshire

109 Withdrawn before this era I think (Wickham-built units)

110 Known at "Calder Valley" units for a reason!  Always associated with North Trans-Pennine routes

111 West Yorkshire, 180hp sub-class of 101

114 Lincolnshire

115 Marylebone Suburban

116 Cardiff Valleys, West Midlands

117 Paddington Suburban

118 Somerset, Devon and Cornwall

119 Western Region Cross Country

120 Western Region Cross Country but especially associated with West and Central Wales

121/122 Any local service only requiring one coach.  121s tended to be Western region

123 Paddington semi-fast services

125 Kings Cross suburban

126 Scottish Region Cross-Country

127 St.Pancras suburban

128/129/131 Parcels Units

Hope that helps, all additions/corrections to the above gratefully received.....

The DMUs I can think of which are made:

Hornby

Class 101

Class 110

Class 121

Class 142

Class 153

Class 155

Class 156

Bachmann

Class 101

Class 105

Class 108

Class 150

Class 158

Class 159

Class 166

Class 168

Class 170

Class 171

Class 220

Class 221

Dapol

Class 121

Class 122

Real Track Models

Class 142 (Coming Soon)

Class 143

Class 144

Class 156

Lima

Class 101

Class 117

Trix

Class 124

Cheap & Decent price is a totally different topic though!

Ronlines, S&J Models & The Junction Box are in my opinion the best places for 2nd hand decent-ish prices online. eBay if I'm desperate... Exhibitions can be good though stock seems to be random, just have to keep an eye out...

I know it's another 108 but Hereford Model Center still have a very decently priced new one... http://herefordmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=340_350_355_357&products_id=4775

Cheap & Decent price is a totally different topic though!

• RMweb Premium

NE England in that time period says 101s, everywhere, and in lots of combinations (several of which aren't available RTR). But that's the difference between the real railway and us, the real railway wants standardisation, at least within an area, whereas we probably like variety. 

That said I will one day build a diesel unit layout, where a fleet of identical 150/2s will be the main traction with a couple of 153s on certain workings and maybe a 108 still staggering along occasionally - the point being that (to me at least) lots of trains, all the same, does have an attraction. Many would say that it is boring, but I like the idea that they are all doing the same thing, one after another, after another, with little or nothing to distinguish between them all as part of a much bigger whole. Rather like worker ants, all busy, and almost unnoticed.

Returning to original point, the 101 was probably more important to the NE railway than the Deltic. I'd probably put the humble 101 joint first with the hard working, freight shifting, class 37 (other views are available, especially regarding the importance of Deltics!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi as Adrian says I think you really are looking for a Met Cam 101 unit . Very common in the North East . I’ve seen them on the Hexham line, Whitby, Saltburn etc . That’s the one I’d go for .

Four choices .

Bachmann is the latest , but it’s only a 2 car unit .

Hornby .3 car. Now out of production but they made the ex Lima model with improved motor . There were blue, green and blue grey versions , but surprisingly no refurbished white/blue.

Lima . Nice model in its time. Appeared in a myriad of liveries as two and three car. Not sure if I saw on in refurb white/blue

Triang . Actually an earlier version of Met Cam dmu , but with a bit of sanding, flushglazing can be made into a reasonable model. I actually did a refurb 3 car one in the 70s based on one of these.

Of the four I’d try and find the Hornby ex Lima one. There are certainly blue ones around. Have a hunt on eBay .

Edited by Legend

For north eastern area, as per Northmoor's list, Metro-Cammell class 101 would be ideal, and also the very similar looking, but mechanically different, class 111. For class 101, Hornby have the ex-Lima model in two or three car formations, with a much better motor bogie and DCC-ready, and Bachmann have a much more sophisticated and more recent unit as a 2-car only.

Slightly more restricted, but found on the Trans-Penning corridor through Leeds, York and Hull were the class 110 BRCW units. Hornby's model was good in its day, but really needs a mechanical upgrade now. It is also easily modified to class 104, which could be found in the Newcastle, Darlington and Durham areas. They were robust units and weren't included in the refurbishment programme, but mostly remained in plain blue, although there were some livery variations, including blue/grey, Mexican bean and Network South East liveries (none of which are appropriate for your premise).

Classes 123 and 124 were mixed on Trans-Pennine services after the 123s were transferred northwards, but I'm not sure off the top of my head as to when they were retired. The only model of class 124 was the old Trix one, which was underscale and only modelled the Driving Motor coaches.

Class 109 was the Wickham built units, one of which survived as a General Manager's saloon. Similarly, a Gloucester class 100 car survived long after the rest of its class had gone, and was paired with a Cravens class 105 car. These units could travel around a bit, but were not used for revenue passenger service.

I hope this doesn't muddy the waters too much for you. If all else fails, there's always rule 1 to fall back on! :D

Class 114 Derby Heavyweight units found their way between Lincolnshire and South Yorkshire, but I don't think they strayed much further north, at least, not in the desired time period. These can only be built from kits or conversions.

Classes 116/117/118/121/122 were not usually found in the north east at all; a pity as there are decent models either just coming out or still in the pre-production processes (Dapol/Bachmann). Hornby has the older ex-Lima 121, which is not a bad model and has a decent motor bogie. I have been buying up cheap bargain bin or second-hand ones to repower some of my earlier DMU conversions, such as a Swindon class 120 built around the old Lima class 117 unit.

Edit: Crossed over with Legend's post - I was still typing mine out at the time! :D

I did a quick search on Google for "class 104 Newcastle" images and the first photo that came up was on Flickr and showed a 104 unit in 1980 outside of Newcastle, with added information that it was soon transferred to Darlington (just to reinforce what I said above).

Edited by SRman

Class of unit depends on location in any era, but off the top of my head (how awake am I on Jan 1st?):

101 Almost anywhere but particularly East Anglia, NE and SW England and most of Wales

103 North Wales

104 South Manchester and Trans Pennine

105 Kings Cross Suburban East Anglia

107 SW Scotland

108 NW England and Yorkshire

109 Withdrawn before this era I think (Wickham-built units)

110 Known at "Calder Valley" units for a reason!  Always associated with North Trans-Pennine routes

111 West Yorkshire, 180hp sub-class of 101

114 Lincolnshire

115 Marylebone Suburban

116 Cardiff Valleys, West Midlands

117 Paddington Suburban

118 Somerset, Devon and Cornwall

119 Western Region Cross Country

120 Western Region Cross Country but especially associated with West and Central Wales

121/122 Any local service only requiring one coach.  121s tended to be Western region

123 Paddington semi-fast services

125 Liverpool St, Suburban, when redundant transferred to Kings Cross suburban circa 1970

126 Scottish Region Cross-Country

127 St.Pancras suburban

128/129/131 Parcels Units

Hope that helps, all additions/corrections to the above gratefully received.....

Amendments in red

Guest Model.Maker

For your era and location, Class 101 as has already been said, plus 104 (though not available rtr but see above re-conversion)

The Hornby/Lima 101's are great, in my opinion better than the Bachmann versions (abliet the latter has better motor and lights).  Hornby's take on the Lima 101 has a better motor, is DCC ready and a better finish, and are available in Blue and Blue/Grey to suit your critera

The Lima Blue & Blue/Grey versions are just as good, but still have the older pancake motor, which can be made to run nicely with a bit of work.  Be careful with the Lima ones though as some have the roof mounted radio pods that werent fitted until the late 80's/eary 90's

• RMweb Gold

The actual imagined area of your NER branch line is critical here; is it in the York/Leeds/Hull vicinity or is it further north around Darlington or Newcastle?  If the former, the 101 is suitable, but 103, 104 (no RTR), and 108 also featured in your period, along with 124 5-car 'Trans Pennine' sets, very distinctive with wrap around cab windows, ran a strongly marketed express service between Hull and Liverpool via Selby, Leeds, Huddersfield, Standege Tunnel, Stalybridge, and Manchester Victoria, the ex LNW route west of Leeds.  These would not appear on a branch line, though.  Trix used to make a half decent model of the driving cars back in the swinging 60s, and the other coaches were re-liveried mk1s, to a hybrid 00/H0 scale of about 3.8mm/foot; I mention it for completeness as, although it is sometimes available on eBay, it does not really cut the mustard by modern RTR standards because of the odd scale.  Class 123 did not appear in the area until later than your period.  110, worth mentioning because of the Hornby RTR model, were uncommon but not unknown east of Leeds running to York or Hull, again, not really suitable branch line fodder.

If you are modelling further north in Geordie or Mackem territory, it's wall to wall 101s.

The North Eastern Region was absorbed into the Eastern Region, but I cannot OTOH remember when; this may have had an effect on allocations.  The 101s and 108s were successful units that had a long working life.

The above based on my teenage experience visiting big sister, living in Selby at the time.  2, 3, and 4 car 101s could be seen, though the latter were rarer than the others.  The 4 car version was originally built for the Newcastle-Carlisle route and featured a buffet, as did the Trans Pennines.

Edited by The Johnster

Thanks guys for your help. So here's the list.

Class 101, 102 or 111 - 3 Car Unit - Probably Hornby Model - Most likely will be repainted into Refurbished White/Blue

Class 103 or 104 - 2 Car Unit - Scratchbuilt - BR Plain Blue

I am thinking of a 105 2 car unit as well. - Most likely Bachmann Model - BR Plain Blue

I've thought of Trans Pennine units before, but yes coming to think of it they only ran a certain route and I don't think they would be diverted into a branch line. The branch line I'm modelling is closer to York than Newcastle, so I don't think any trains would go to Darlington.

EDIT: Changed my mind, there will be services going to Newcastle, despite the line's location. Creates a little more interest in operational terms.

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You’ve aroused interest. Might have a look at acquiring a Hornby one for repaint into refurb white with blue stripe. . The blue grey one is probably most appropriate . They made it with the odd combination of three market lights on front. Shoulf]d be relatively easy to file down middle marker compared to blue version that has full headcode display

• Like 1

Guest Model.Maker

Thanks guys for your help. So here's the list.

Class 101, 102 or 111 - 3 Car Unit - Probably Hornby Model - Most likely will be repainted into Refurbished White/Blue

Class 103 or 104 - 2 Car Unit - Scratchbuilt - BR Plain Blue

I am thinking of a 105 2 car unit as well. - Most likely Bachmann Model - BR Plain Blue

I've thought of Trans Pennine units before, but yes coming to think of it they only ran a certain route and I don't think they would be diverted into a branch line. The branch line I'm modelling is closer to York than Newcastle, so I don't think any trains would go to Darlington.

EDIT: Changed my mind, there will be services going to Newcastle, despite the line's location. Creates a little more interest in operational terms.

If you are going down the route of repainting a Hornby/Lima 101 be very careful when taking the window mouldings out, sometimes the glue is very strong which can lead to the mouldings shattering and the bodyshells deforming

Will be interested in how it turns out