Wagons in 2003 from Photos and TOPS - Y and Z added

Y and Z added as this is probably quite popular..

Good morning

As part of the setting up of my 'home office' (a dedicated room as opposed to the laptop on my knees in the lounge) I am sorting out various archived material.

Amongst this are a load of printouts from TOPS in 2003. 

I have lists showing the 'Rail Vehicle Code types' with the CARKND, AARKND, Description, Carrying Capacity and GLW Range.  Here shown for the "B - Steel Carrying - Bogie"

post-2484-0-44840400-1514718500_thumb.jpg     post-2484-0-72625400-1514718505_thumb.jpg

I also did "J6 1 1 1" enquiries to go with my collection of photos.  Here SPA 460589... 

post-2484-0-35648800-1514718496_thumb.jpg

Some wagons had the various pictures printed as a date sheet..

post-2484-0-40078800-1514719139_thumb.jpg

If there is sufficient interest I can scan more.  Let me know.

Edited by The Bigbee Line
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon Ernie, surely by 2003 quite a few of those carkinds were operationally extinct?

As far as I'm aware there were only ever two BCAs and by then were departmental, one of them until very recently was still at Stewarts lane

Afternoon Ernie, surely by 2003 quite a few of those carkinds were operationally extinct?

As far as I'm aware there were only ever two BCAs and by then were departmental, one of them until very recently was still at Stewarts lane

I agree, quite confusing. What BCA became BIA? What are the BCA T and BCB A?

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I agree, quite confusing. What BCA became BIA? What are the BCA T and BCB A?

Paul

Not sure what a BCB is but it appears some of the wagons EWS built in its initial period of optimistic growth were BCAs not the converted bolster Cs

Not sure what a BCB is but it appears some of the wagons EWS built in its initial period of optimistic growth were BCAs not the converted bolster Cs

Thanks, yes I hadn't realised the South Wales conversions with boxes for coils, and no ends were recoded BCA http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/baa/e5fb45b29

A BCB is just an air braked wagon with the vacuum pipe remaining - many of the early BR built air braked wagons were - - B including many BAB.

Paul

Thanks, yes I hadn't realised the South Wales conversions with boxes for coils, and no ends were recoded BCA http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/baa/e5fb45b29

A BCB is just an air braked wagon with the vacuum pipe remaining - many of the early BR built air braked wagons were - - B including many BAB.

Paul

My only shot of a BCA 900232, in the consist of 6M91, captured at Washwood Heath in April 2004

post-2484-0-39310200-1514748666.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55938574@N03/12573442735/in/photolist-ka5btr

Edited by The Bigbee Line

That's a converted BAA I wonder and it would be a long shot if any of the conversions retained the vac pipe hence BCB

I believe that the majority of Vacuum through pipes had been removed by the mid 1980’s.

When the Alumina from North Blyth to Fortwilliam was running Vacuum fitted with the VB set having PR80XX PAB’s in the consist the PAB’s that came back from works had to have the wooden bung removed and vacuum pipe added!

Other than that the last through pipes to be added were the trials to replace the MDV’s in South Wales that led to the MEA.

Mark Saunders

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening Ernie, all the best for the new year

That list must have been as a result of the system not being updated as there are several wagons on there that were long gone by 02 certainty the unfitted ones

Evening Ernie, all the best for the new year

That list must have been as a result of the system not being updated as there are several wagons on there that were long gone by 02 certainty the unfitted ones

I would agree that those lists would not always be up to date, but would rely on someone at 'HQ' making a manual adjustment to the TOPS Code Guide from time to time.

(in the late 1980s for a short spell I help to update the TOPS shunt tagging guide for the Western Region, 

and can confirm that the printed guide often lagged behind the information that was held on the mainframe database,

cheers