1/72 Boat in place of 1/76

Seanem44

• RMweb Gold

I have noticed there are not really any 1/76 boats out there.  Especially WWII Destroyers or similar.  Do individuals modelling quayside scenes get by using 1/72 models?

Given that plenty of 1:76 scale models are cheerfully populated with 1:87 scale figures, I suggest the discrepancy you identify is not too obvious.

A typical Royal Navy destroyer of WW2 was about 330' long, which is well over 4' in either 1:76 or 1:72. A Flower-class corvette would be about 2'8" long (206' full size); and a Motor Torpedo Boat, which isn't even a ship, would be almost a foot long (generally about 73' full size).

I'd have thought that a ship to either scale would be so overpowering as a scenic feature that no-one's going to question whether it's exactly to scale.

The thing that I find problematic about ships on layouts is that there's an immense amount of rigging, antennae etc. all of which is easily visible at railway modelling scales (even in N), which gets left off because the builder is building a model railway and not a model ship display. The thing is that it is visible and the lack of it is visible too.

Jim

Revell used to make a 1/72 scale Flower class corvette which made up into rather a nice model.  Airfix made an MTB and a landing ship tank (I think).  If you search the internet you will find a few suppliers of merchant ships bare hulls in 1/72 or 1/87 scale.  The difference in scales is negligible looking at the size of the finished model. 

Peterfgf

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you want a large military ship you need to be looking at the RC model builders. As to the difference in scale, I don't think that there is any issue with slight discrepancies in the size of the ship. I have a 1/144 flower class covette under construction for a 2mm layout (1/152). I also have a 1/144 destroyer in the "to be built pile" for other layouts. 

Thanks all.   Yeah...  I realize a DD is probably way too large...  and expensive. 

I have seen smaller boats, PT boats.  The old revel PT109, etc.  And I guess this questions extends to and was answered for planes as they are mostly 1/72 as well.

• RMweb Gold

Unless you are actually modelling a WW2 period quayside I would guess that naval vessels would have spent relatively little time in civilian ports. My scratchbuilt S&DJR coasters are both 105ft/42cm long and look OK on the 6ft long quayside. Get a lot bigger and the ships could get too dominant. My rigging is fairly fine soft-furnishing thread and looks OK to me.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/78878-old-brue-quay-from-the-south-west-832017/

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Whilst it might not help with military craft I built an Airfix 1:72 Severn Class lifeboat and placed it alongside the jetty in full close-up view of anyone watching trains on the layout.  It wasn't populated with 1:87 figures but by Bachmann 1:76 orange-clad track workers which is a good approximation of RNLI lifeboat gear.  And it looked perfectly OK despite being in exactly the wrong place to force perspective to advantage namely it was (to the viewer) in front of the 1:76 trains and a selection of 1:76 and 1:87 people carefully picked and placed to look about right.

For generic small fishing boats, knowing several of us model harbour scenes, Harburn Hamlet offer two 1:76 resin vessels which require little adaptation to be perfectly convincing in many applications.  I simply weathered mine and added a couple of packs of deck gear (fish boxes, nets etc) also from HH and used some Noch 1:87 figures as crew.  

Edited by Gwiwer

Unless you are actually modelling a WW2 period quayside I would guess that naval vessels would have spent relatively little time in civilian ports. My scratchbuilt S&DJR coasters are both 105ft/42cm long and look OK on the 6ft long quayside. Get a lot bigger and the ships could get too dominant. My rigging is fairly fine soft-furnishing thread and looks OK to me.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/78878-old-brue-quay-from-the-south-west-832017/

My layout will be during WWII.

Today I made a decision to abandon the quayside layout I had planned on though.  For one, the aforementioned issue of a gigantic model ship just eating too much time, resources and money.  The other reason, I want to build a layout I can actually finish, and the quayside would complicate things to the point I don't want to.

I still plan on running during wartime, but am scaling back naval operations.  I will focus on tank offloading from warwells. 

Edited by Seanem44
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The thing that I find problematic about ships on layouts is that there's an immense amount of rigging, antennae etc. all of which is easily visible at railway modelling scales (even in N), which gets left off because the builder is building a model railway and not a model ship display. The thing is that it is visible and the lack of it is visible too.

Jim

The other thing, which was mentioned in passing, on a thread about a gorgeous model of a ferry, iirc, is that mooring lines, which are also pretty obvious, tend to be either ignored or done very badly. Perhaps it's just my professional interest spotting this, of course, but...

• RMweb Gold

My layout will be during WWII.

Today I made a decision to abandon the quayside layout I had planned on though.  For one, the aforementioned issue of a gigantic model ship just eating too much time, resources and money.  The other reason, I want to build a layout I can actually finish, and the quayside would complicate things to the point I don't want to.

I still plan on running during wartime, but am scaling back naval operations.  I will focus on tank offloading from warwells. 

Shame. You had a really unique and memorable idea there.

It's my next project 3 foot space created on layout for a small dock scene, I've a matchbox 1/72 scale flower class corvette but its a bit big, I've also a tamyia 1/72 vosper MTB circa 60's which about 18" is a nice size and fits in the late 50's early 60's period

• Like 1

Given that plenty of 1:76 scale models are cheerfully populated with 1:87 scale figures, I suggest the discrepancy you identify is not too obvious.

In our club we had two people called Bob. One was of somewhat smaller stature. So naturally it was "OO Bob" and "HO Bob"...

Shame. You had a really unique and memorable idea there.

We will see....

I might keep the Quay...   "You" had an excellent design, lol.   Honestly, I might keep the basis and pare back some of the pointwork just a small bit.  Time is a limiting factor, and I want to start something I know I can finish.  You have given me the perfect basis, so I know I can at least start something.

There are some good resin kits of landing craft out there.  I might plop one of those down...

If you haven't notices, I'm pretty indecisive with the layout right now...  probably because its a daunting task.  I'm starting with the table work here shortly.

• Like 1

Post WW2, several ports held numbers of both Landing Craft and corvettes/ minesweepers, 'moth-balled' in case they should be required in another war. The North Dock at Llanelli was one location used.

• Like 1