The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

• RMweb Gold

I've been known to combine a couple of hobbies...

tele2.jpg.b279167a0fba4cc28d3e1bbd6078d97e.jpg

The Mexican Tele was my first electric (I bought it from that shop that used to be in the basement of Virgin records on Tottenham Court Road) and Penderyn's only up the road so it would be rude not to, wouldn't it.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/01/2018 at 23:06, Guius said:

post-31678-0-58541300-1515539099_thumb.jpgFor a while now I've enjoyed looking around old and dis-used mine workings, mostly iron mines, some coal mines and this one - a Tungsten mine. Quiet fascinating to see how the miners followed the seams and stopes on different levels in the same working

post-31678-0-77324200-1515539169_thumb.jpg

How did I miss this post?! Carrock Mine I assume? Think that's the Canadian Crosscut? It's one I've never been down personally, alas. I used to be involved with the MOLES quite a bit, spent a fair time on the Yewthwaite dig.

Anyway apologies for dragging up a two and a half year old post to reply to.

Quite a few guitarists on here. I started playing in November and since then I have learned so much. I've learned that my fingers are too short, too fat, not stretchy enough and not coordinated enough. Oh, and I have no sense of timing. But hey, I'm having fun and the family haven't referred to it as "a racket". Yet.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 07/03/2021 at 10:17, AndrueC said:

My other hobby is golf. Normally I play all year round but as I'm still working I can't play as much during the darker months and that's why I've taken up railway modelling. And of course this year a certain Mr Johnson felt it necessary to prevent me playing several times. Apparently outdoor exercise and a naturally socially distanced sport is unsafe :rolleyes:

Anyhoo it's back to the course on the 29th so I probably won't be doing much more work on my layout until September.

I'm probably working on the 29th, but have a tee-time booked for 5.30pm. Should get 9 holes without a problem as we've got the hour back by then and a bit more daylight

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My other hobby, actually it was my first hobby before getting into model railways when I was quite young. My first kit that an recall was a model of the supercarrier USA Forestall but this plane would require a much bigger scale version.

20210311_142500-picsay.jpg.92536360fe08a8be200c32ee64d20290.jpg

A E-2C Hawkeye by Hasegowa nearing completion with just the last decal on each propeller blade then matt varnish the propellers and finally git them fully into the rubber grommets in the turbo housing.

This is only the third plane kit that I have built in many years and this one had sat in its box since Modelzone closed.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Cycling, ideally on traffic-free routes such as former railways, canal paths, bridleways etc., but quiet country roads if not.

Last year was a bit restricted to ‘out and home’ rides because of Covid, but I have hopes for a tour or two this summer.

FD6A389B-4E54-41DE-BB5C-7D5E6181AFF3.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 7

About the only hobby I can partake in just now is sitting in my dark shed looking through my telescope (when the rain lets up).  At other (non-covid) times, I play bass in a couple of rock bands, I walk up mountains and I enjoy a drive out into the country in my MG. 

Graeme

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, newbryford said:

I'm probably working on the 29th, but have a tee-time booked for 5.30pm. Should get 9 holes without a problem as we've got the hour back by then and a bit more daylight

Hi Mick

Isn't 5.30pm tea time in many houses?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Ask and ye shall receive.

nimitz3.jpg

It needs a Fleur-de-lis on the tail and RVAH-6 on the fuselage!! :biggrin_mini: I was attached to Heavy 6 for a cruise onboard the Kitty Hawk (CVA-63) and thoroughly enjoyed being associated with that plane and the Hawk. Sadly, she is now being prepared for scrapping.  image.png.a506903e3fce5b65013488554cdfa7cb.png

Edit: What scale is that? TIA

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

It needs a Fleur-de-lis on the tail and RVAH-6 on the fuselage!! :biggrin_mini: I was attached to Heavy 6 for a cruise onboard the Kitty Hawk (CVA-63) and thoroughly enjoyed being associated with that plane and the Hawk. Sadly, she is now being prepared for scrapping.  image.png.a506903e3fce5b65013488554cdfa7cb.png

Edit: What scale is that? TIA

Its 1/350th, Dave.

Here's a shot of the whole ship:

nimitz2.jpg.a9cedd4a26c82e697d45a8d0b7b5cc05.jpg

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1