Orchard Road TMD - BR Blue - The Story Continues

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

hi Bill,

Many thanks for posting the pictures.

It does go to prove that there is not 'one' rust colour and varies considerably due to age / environment etc. I will still however wash a darker colour onto the buffer stops at some stage.

Cheers

Richard

• RMweb Gold

After spending most of the weekend sorting stuff in the garden (new fence, grass cutting etc) - not had much chance to do much modelling, but did manage to wash a darker colour into the buffer stops, which has improved that overall effect a little - will leave as they are now though. Not sure how well they show up in the photos.

I did take the opportunity to have a run with the class 37 and class 08 and take some photos. I also tweaked a couple of the CV's on the 37, but not entirely happy just yet, so may need to have another go!

I've been trying a few different angles for the photos, with the class 37 as the main subject!

post-7854-0-90115100-1315765700.jpg

I'm particularily pleased with how this one has turned out, except for the background (the garage door can be just seen behind the fuel tanks) - a bit of trial and error by gently placing the camera on the track - not easy with a digital SLR! This reminds me that the pipe work needs to be finished and coupling wire adding.

post-7854-0-96254500-1315765709.jpg

The obligatory view across the buffer stops - not sure how well the revised buffer stop colours have come out.

post-7854-0-78097500-1315765703.jpg

A late evening shot, showing uo the cab lights in the 08 quite well. Will now have to detail the interior a bit more - using the recent Model Rail article for assistance.

post-7854-0-60930300-1315765706.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

They look fantastic Richard, really like the 08 with the lights on the cab, real atmosphere

Thanks Neil.

I've tried a few 'night-time' shots and thought that this one might look ok - came out quite well.

Might now need to try a few more at some stage.

Eventually will get sme night-time shots inside the depot bulding - once I make the lights themselves!

I don't think that I will add any external lights though!

• RMweb Gold

really nice photos and i really like the one of the 37 in front of the fuel tanks. i think acturly the garage door looks like one of those big gas accumulators. i thought it was that on the backscene befor i read the text.

Thanks Elagage56

I'm pleased with this photo. The garage door does not look too out of place actually, now that you mention it!

I would like to take some photos from the rear of the layout, but always the problem of loosing the un-wanted background!

Hi Richard

I think just a couple of dull lights would be cool, maybe 1 above the depot entrance shining down onto the hard standing, 1 were the little office is, and i would be tempted to get the LEDs that will fit in the fuel point and a small lamp above were the control panel box is for the fuel tanks, but keep them to a yellowy glow, definatly not bright ones

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil, you're right about the colour. If I add any lights these will only be dim and even only used for photos! Probably a bit wasted under normal operation / exhibitions as it is not easy to control the lighting levels in the exhibition venue unless the layout is designed from the beginning to be enclosed - in a similar way to Marc Smith's Hendre Lane.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

I can't believe I've not commented on your layout thread before - very remiss of me.

For your backscene ( being low and restricting your photography) is it possible to create a very thin, large size sheet which would stand in front of your fixed(?) backscene, similar to what Chris Nevard has ? You would only need a single sheet, which you could move around to suit each photo.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

I can't believe I've not commented on your layout thread before - very remiss of me.

For your backscene ( being low and restricting your photography) is it possible to create a very thin, large size sheet which would stand in front of your fixed(?) backscene, similar to what Chris Nevard has ? You would only need a single sheet, which you could move around to suit each photo.

Stu

Hi Stu

About time that you commented - only kidding!

Thanks for your suggestion - should be fairly easy to achieve and certainly worth thinking about. Something else to add to the list then!

I had also thought about making scenic extensions to run along the front of the layout, as per Marc Smith, which in themselves could have removable backscene to allow photos to be taken from the rear of the layout.

Plenty to think about!

• RMweb Gold

A fantastic layout and such attention to detail!!! Can I ask just outside of the shed there are some square mesh containers, where did you get them from?

Regards

Scott

Hi Scott,

Many thanks for your comments! Much appreciated!

The square mesh containers / crates are etch brass kits from PH Designs. Very nice etches, if a little tricky to fold and solder, but well worth the effort! Peter can also be found on RMWeb - here

• 1 month later...

Not intended as a criticism, well perhaps a gentle one of Hornby desgn - but can anything be done to prevent their buffer heads rotating all over the shop? It matters not a jot with Oleos, but ovals really do seem to suffer. My pair of Hoovers will require a remedy of one sort or another before I'm completely happy.

In the middle phot, is that fitter wearing adequate PPE in case he gets showered with mazak shrapnel ? :O

Edited by 'CHARD

• RMweb Gold

Oh Mate,!!!!!33's and 50's now you've got me thinking about another future project, I'm having a crisis as my mates would say, I shouldn't be aloud out with out an adult!!!!!! :nono: All the best Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks. The 33 and 50 are particular favourites of mine as well. Considering getting another 33 soon! I also have an old Lima 33 which has been detailed and now need to assemble the High-Level Kits motor bogie when I can find the time - probably a winter project when working the garage is too cold!

• RMweb Gold

Not intended as a criticism, well perhaps a gentle one of Hornby desgn - but can anything be done to prevent their buffer heads rotating all over the shop? It matters not a jot with Oleos, but ovals really do seem to suffer. My pair of Hoovers will require a remedy of one sort or another before I'm completely happy.

In the middle phot, is that fitter wearing adequate PPE in case he gets showered with mazak shrapnel ? :O

I only noticed the buffer myself after down-loading the photos off my camera - doh! I know what you mean though - there should be simple solution to prevent them rotating.

The layout is based way before we needed to worry about H&S, but I better apply an exclusion order to prevent the 31 entering the depot building again!

• RMweb Gold

superb Richard, great to see some pics of the layout again, really like the 31 in the shed and that ballast train is looking stunning

Hi Neil,

Thanks. I am also in the process of making some Cambrian PW kits, so will find there way onto Orchard Road for photos!

I agree Richard the 31 in the shed is cracking. Love the detailed interior. I dont have any sheds on my layout or any planned so can't copy you. However I do have some industrial units planned so could do an open door there! Its a shame the Hornby 31 has such rotaty buffers I have a shot taken by chris nevard of my 31461 which is spoiled by wonky buffers grrr.

Cav

• RMweb Gold

I agree Richard the 31 in the shed is cracking. Love the detailed interior. I dont have any sheds on my layout or any planned so can't copy you. However I do have some industrial units planned so could do an open door there! Its a shame the Hornby 31 has such rotaty buffers I have a shot taken by chris nevard of my 31461 which is spoiled by wonky buffers grrr.

Cav

Hi Cav,

Thanks for comments. I've really enjoyed making the interior details, even the coat hanger! It is quite difficult getting decent photos with the layout erected normally with the tripod tha I have, so may have to sit the board on the rear and try some more photos. I hadn't noticed the buffers until I posted the photos - so something to check in future.

An additional photo, as I just fancied a B&W for a change.

post-7854-0-79597600-1319996960.jpg

• Like 1