Gladstone Street - Just about done...nearly!

sn

So, to some history...

Perhaps a bit of background as where this layout is supposed to be set

Gladstone Street Yard is envisaged to be somewhere in the Liverpool area. It’s at the end  a very short branch off perhaps the old L&Y or maybe the CLC system in the vicinity?

I envisage that it has always been run as ‘one engine in steam’ as the line is only a 1,000 yards or so length up from the fictional Sandon Road Junction. It is steeply graded and so loco’s actually work the train up the short branch  from the back at a maximum of 10mph, the brake van leading.

At one point the line continued on past Gladstone Street to a gas works another three or four hundred yards on , but this has long since been defunct but  the line there was only recently lifted, hence the remaining stub of a few yards of it leading from the three way point .

The rail bridge over the line once carried another single track freight only line which has also been recently closed under some local rationalisation . Still. it’s now at least a good photographic location for the local ‘gricers’ !

Jinty’s , 3F tenders from Walton, and the far less likely Ivatt 2-6-2tanks and 2-6-0 tenders work here . I may purchase a Pug at some point for added geographical realism!

Edited by sn

Re: posts 8 and 9 - how to work the kickback.

How about a bit of rope or chain shunting? Easy enough to get wagons into the kickback, but the addition of a bollard part way along the "truncated" line

would enable you to get wagons out. I did it on a 7mm narrow gauge layout many years ago and on a 4mm layout by an Essex based club - Romford? Chelmsford?

I can't remember which one but rope or chain shunting enabled access to a brewery.

David C

Correction: I've seen it done on an Essex based club layout, the name of which I've forgotten. I was never a member! Iy was a nice layout, though!

David C

Good idea, David . Decided against the factory kickback for other reasons to be honest. Have used that myself in the past though - works well.

So took the layout outside today to take some pics in better light.

As you can see, some work done, wire in tubes laid and working , some scenery started. Some ballasting to be completed next and some bridge repairs!

post-2219-0-71088700-1519152847_thumb.jpg

post-2219-0-62653800-1519152914_thumb.jpg

post-2219-0-30377600-1519153063_thumb.jpg

The stub of a line far left is supposedly the stub of the running line that once went up to the gasworks.

Ballast taking an age to dry out after fixing , probably due to conditions in the shed! 

Yes the backscene behind the bridge will be replaced by a proper piece!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Almost finished...

post-2219-0-47919000-1528213803_thumb.jpg

Quite pleased with the general overall feel of the layout - it's pretty much what I set out to achieve.

post-2219-0-21178300-1528213868_thumb.jpg

post-2219-0-48591300-1528213927_thumb.jpg

post-2219-0-60506500-1528214003_thumb.jpg

Just 3 sidings but a ridiculous amount of shunting fun to be had from it all the same!

You'll notice that the planned canal turned out as a road in the end.

Len

• Like 3