Gladstone Street - Just about done...nearly!

sn

So, this is the start of my new project. It's essentially an exercise in building a layout that folds up so that it can be stored in a small space. It's an end to end layout , fiddle yard to small urban goods yard most likely.

This is where I am so far:-

post-2219-0-92017800-1513692264_thumb.jpg

post-2219-0-93556000-1513692522_thumb.jpg

post-2219-0-74433800-1513692596_thumb.jpg

post-2219-0-87609000-1513692422_thumb.jpg

I've got a feel for retaining stonewalls, backs of buildings and general 1950's urban grime. Probably no signalling required at all on this one.

Like Southport Road Goods (which was on a similar theme  and which is here somewhere on RMWEB)  I intend to use re-spaced Peco code 75 track (on the normal trackwork at least)

I'll also be going for wire in tube operation for points (something I've been successful with on another recent layout) operated from modified Hornby lever frames. (No linkages will be needed over the folding joint!) and I have an idea for some underboard operation of my own uncouplers. (We will see if it really works!)

So here we go...

Edited by sn
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had a doodle around some ideas. This is a truncated single line in an urban area that has three separate siding facilities off it (one off them top right of the plan) off stage so-to-speak.

The truncated line is effectively used as an arrival/dep road. No run-round loop so traffic is pushed here in one direction (up the grade of course to avoid runaways)

The new layout  seems to have a new name too!

Any thoughts?

post-2219-0-67850600-1515181577_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like an interesting project.  For an interesting scenic break incorporating a road, railway & canal, it  might be worth taking a look at Three Bridges near Southall. It's  not quite the arrangement you need but there's some visually interesting ideas to be gleaned.

Mark

Looks like an interesting project.  For an interesting scenic break incorporating a road, railway & canal, it  might be worth taking a look at Three Bridges near Southall. It's  not quite the arrangement you need but there's some visually interesting ideas to be gleaned.

Mark

Mark, just looked Three Bridges up - what an interesting arrangement that is! Must have made bridge maintenance a nightmare!

Glad I'm going for something a tad simpler (unless of I course I come up with something completely different altogether)

Yes indeed , having looked at the link it seems very self contained for the real thing doesn't it?

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

It looks very promising mate.

My only question is if you have no loop then how are you going to work the kickback to the factory? There isn't enough railway to justify a resident shunter so if you push in through the tunnel then the train loco is in the wrong place to work anything to or from the factory kickback.  :senile:

Regards Lez.Z. 

Hi there.

It looks very promising mate.

My only question is if you have no loop then how are you going to work the kickback to the factory? There isn't enough railway to justify a resident shunter so if you push in through the tunnel then the train loco is in the wrong place to work anything to or from the factory kickback.  :senile:

Regards Lez.Z. 

Good point Lez. off stage top right from the kickback it is imagined there is a loop. I will physically move the loco off stage from one end to the other.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to ditch the kickback siding to the factory and have a simple fan of three sidings.

Started work this morning on the trackbase. Hopefully from the pics you will see where the canal will run under.

post-2219-0-06721300-1516042994_thumb.jpg

post-2219-0-51904400-1516650069_thumb.jpg

Wing walls to be attached next and then painting.

Thinking ahead to the canal water, what success and failures have others had on this forum with various liquids used to represent canals?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Started work this afternoon on installing the wire in tube for the. I really like operating points this way in what is essentially the same method as the prototype (minus the tube of course!)

post-2219-0-85289300-1518017854_thumb.jpg

post-2219-0-80135900-1518017783_thumb.jpg

The wires are stocked by my local model shop in Formby - I think the radio controlled aero lot use them for internal aeroplane controls. The tube is from B&Q that I bought ages ago with the 4? internal wires pulled out.

• RMweb Premium

I will be interested to see how you get on with the wire in tube.

i am planning similar operation for Paisley St James.

I found some PTFE Tube on the Bay of E, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Metre-150V-Teflon-Tubing-PTFE-Tube-Pipe-Inner-x-Outer-0-3-7-64mm-x-0-6-8-06mm/182976792558?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=690288370026&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And wire https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-5mm-24-AWG-Comp-SS317L-TMC-Grade-Stainless-Steel-Wire-4-13-ohms-m/131875443572?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=431221736037&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I will be using a batch of 50 DPDT Slide switches from Amazon, which will be drilled to accept the wire (cost about £6.00)

I have yet to start putting it all together, just waiting for the temperature to rise a bit in the Railway Shed.

Regards

Ian

• Like 1

Yep I'm possibly going to use slider switches myself, Ian .That looks like a good price there on Amazon.

I find wire in tube reliable cheap and pretty easy to install. I'm always surprised that more of use on here don't use it.