Bridge bashing

4 hours ago, 37114 said:

Respect to the driver of that. Getting the turning point right on a bus with no power steering, crash gearbox, heavy clutch on a steep hill and a low bridge just has "paintwork damage" written all over it..

Much respect from me too, there are not many of today's bus drivers that would be able to do that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Nothing unusual. My Dad was a mechanic at Tate & Lyles in Liverpool and if out on a road test would sometimes call home for me to sit in the cab. Occasionally it would be a Foden eight-legger tanker so twin steer front end. No power assisted steering, just a steering wheel the size of the QE2's, which I couldn't budge. Even the biggest men had to have the vehicle moving at least slowly to turn it.

• Like 7

Many years ago there was a BBC Series called Perpetual Motion looking at various classic vehicles, one was the DC3.

The designer was still alive and they interviewed him along with a young woman pilot who flew them in South America.

He was asked if there was anything about the design that he could have done better, his response was that he thought that the controls were on the heavy side.  She replied no, they are fine.

Her muscles suggested he might have been right!

• Like 5

In my youth the bus home from school was a Bristol RE with a semi automatic box.

Never thought about it until a few years ago when I was told the steering wasnt power assisted unlike the VR and when you went round a roundabout god help anything that got in the way.

When my wife & I married we hired one to take the wedding party to Bath & back.  It was fascinating to watch the driver he had to work the wheel like he was steering a ship on a rough sea!  It was a snowy day in January and it had been out on scheduled services the previous day because with manual steering it was better than a power steered vehicle in slippery conditions as the driver could feel what was happening

• Like 3

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

I bet he had arms like King Kong!!

44 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

Nothing unusual.

Indeed. A few times I had trucks with no power steering, it was a good workout for arms & shoulders!! Last occasion I recall, it wasn't meant to be without power steering, but the Merc rigid I was in broke the power steering drive belt right in the middle of a 3-point turn on an industrial estate!! That turned into about a 20-point turn as by then steering wheels were reduced from QE2 size (😉😁👍) so there wasn't the leverage!! I would have continued with my day & struggled on, but that belt also took out the belt for the air compressor, so as the air went down I had to stop anyway, & call base for recovery.

I sort of partly wished power steering hadn't become standard on trucks - I'd have been a lot stronger than the 14-stone weakling I actually am!!! 🙄🤦‍♂️🤣

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

When I worked for Guide Friday at Stratford on Avon, several of the buses had no power steering. The building at the top of Chapel Street had been hit by one of the buses, as had the building opposite at the bottom of Chapel Street, both corners were tight and hard work with no power steering.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1