Bridge bashing

4 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Yes, and some bus drivers do seem not to notice that the depot gave them a double decker today.

Must admit I thought about bus drivers & 'auto pilot' when I wrote about not noticing a 1ft taller trailer. You would think the difference between a single & double decker bus would be slightly more noticeable!!!

Just shows how ingrained repetitious activity can get.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'd have thought that when they got into it they'd have noticed. The front interior end of a single decker and double is quite different with the stairs on the left! Or are some really that switched on to autopilot they don't notice?

Edited by Hobby
Spelling
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Must admit I thought about bus drivers & 'auto pilot' when I wrote about not noticing a 1ft taller trailer. You would think the difference between a single & double decker bus would be slightly more noticeable!!!

Just shows how ingrained repetitious activity can get.

Bus routes are probably even more repetitious (several times a shift) than regular lorry deliveries.

• Agree 3

I caught a Brighton and Hove bus resplendent in a "Regency" livery - purple with gold lining - I am pretty sure a one-off. I remarked to the driver that it was very impressive. He looked slightly surprised and then said words to the effect of "Of course - you forget what they look like when you are driving it", although I suppose he may have remembered the difference between a single and double decker.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, duncan said:

You do remember the difference between a 8 m & 13 m bus, when you pick it up at the start of your shift, especially if the 13 m one will not get round some of the turning circles & junctions !!!

Blimey!! Those are tall buses...!!!! 😱😱😱

😉😁😁🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

Not all makes of double deckers are the same height. There are, obviously, ‘highbridge’ and ‘lowbridge’ ones. But even within those groupings, heights can vary.

I heard of an occasion, many years ago, where the first of a batch of new double deckers was being delivered to one garage of a bus company. It was carefully routed to avoid a known low bridge. These buses were to be used only for local services and they wouldn’t be required to go under that bridge in service. However, on the delivery trip, immediately after it had rejoined the route which had passed through the low bridge, it had its roof taken off on another bridge. All the company’s existing double deckers could get under this bridge safely - but this new bus was several inches higher.

The remaining buses of this new type had to be delivered by a roundabout route, adding about 50 miles to the delivery trip. And a local route had to be split into two different shorter routes to keep the new buses away from that bridge.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Last weekend saw (yet) another double decker try to turn into Twerton High Street from the Lower Bristol Road, on the outskirts of Bath.

twerton-bus-crash-be-4-180924.jpg.6e11d073a991246a6d5f64043631afe7.jpg

twerton-bus-crash-be-2-180924.jpg.d70bb48200730a7f3f75f1ac6c6c07d7.jpg

twerton-bus-crash-be-1-180924.jpg.5c2630ccd2702eedfc432c515ce1f34f.jpg

This has happened here a few times before.

Just a few yard away is the bridge at Jews Lane. This is regularly struck by anything larger than a small transit sized vehicle, even followed one once. I flashed my lights and blew the horn, but was ignored and BASH. Couple of years ago a single decker tried to use it as a short cut. The height restriction is 6'6". Walking through on the pavement I have to tip my head to one side.

1_Jews-Lane-bridge.jpg.1a976337b2b6c0236441cc1c44f33869.jpg

Edited by JZ
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JZ said:

Last weekend saw (yet) another double decker try to turn into Twerton High Street from the Lower Bristol Road, on the outskirts of Bath.

Well at least it's got an appropriate advert on its side.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JZ said:

twerton-bus-crash-be-2-180924.jpg.d70bb48200730a7f3f75f1ac6c6c07d7.jpg

twerton-bus-crash-be-1-180924.jpg.5c2630ccd2702eedfc432c515ce1f34f.jpg

This has happened here a few times before.

Just a few yard away is the bridge at Jews Lane. This is regularly struck by anything larger than a small transit sized vehicle, even followed one once. I flashed my lights and blew the horn, but was ignored and BASH. Couple of years ago a single decker tried to use it as a short cut. The height restriction is 6'6". Walking through on the pavement I have to tip my head to one side.

1_Jews-Lane-bridge.jpg.1a976337b2b6c0236441cc1c44f33869.jpg

It WILL fit next time!

• Funny 3

10 hours ago, pH said:

The remaining buses of this new type had to be delivered by a roundabout route, adding about 50 miles to the delivery trip. And a local route had to be split into two different shorter routes to keep the new buses away from that bridge.

I seem to recall a report many years ago about some new Met-Cam stock being built 1/2" above spec.  What's half an inch between friends?  Enough on the Underground for the whole order to be rejected until they were modified.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I seem to recall a report many years ago about some new Met-Cam stock being built 1/2" above spec.  What's half an inch between friends?  Enough on the Underground for the whole order to be rejected until they were modified.

Doesn't' just happen here; SNCF had to send  a whole class of new units back to the manufacturer because of loading gauge issues.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

I've posted before about my local much-bashed bridge carrying the ECML over the A505, but it was in the Dail Mail for a different reason the other day.  In the past I've known to flood to a depth of about 3 feet, and the drainage has been improved since but the police still had to close the road for a while.  My Ukrainian guests had gone to London to do some sightseeing, but when they got back they had to take their shoes and socks off to wade under the bridge!  Some of my neighbours houses had to be pumped out.

89987567-13880685-image-a-124_172708105889987557-13880685-image-a-123_1727081051

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I have to duck for this one in Berriew, near Welshpool. It is an aqueduct on the Montgomery Canal..

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.5970686,-3.1991643,3a,49y,307.16h,86.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZ97Pw1AvuqpJUeL-rdwBAQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?coh=205409&entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MDkyMy4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D

Fortunately buses are not too likely to come this way.

Jonathan

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

I have to duck for this one in Berriew, near Welshpool. It is an aqueduct on the Montgomery Canal..

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.5970686,-3.1991643,3a,49y,307.16h,86.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZ97Pw1AvuqpJUeL-rdwBAQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?coh=205409&entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MDkyMy4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D

Fortunately buses are not too likely to come this way.

Jonathan

There was a similar bridge in Bargoed with a ninety degree turn and a steep hill (1 in 4) that also had a bus service.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Also the Central Line needing lots of platforms ground back for the 1992 stock from ABB.

• Like 3