Bridge bashing

3 hours ago, rab said:

Wrong kind of snow???

Most definitely - and it caught EVERYBODY out ! .......... I was working by New Beckenham station at the time and we closed the office early, about 4PM on 1st Feb as it was looking bad outside. I got to the station as the last down train arrived - the driver told me it was the last one and was terminating there and then so I checked out the buses and found they'd already packed up .... trudged up to the Junction and found the main line still open so caught a train to Bromley South and trudged home from there. There were no trains nor buses on the 2nd.

This was New Beckenham on the 3rd : -

1747_11.jpg.62360e11459f5db076b67436b5040921.jpg

3/2/09

• Like 10

19 hours ago, Dagworth said:

The Chalfont Viaduct was built between 1902 and 1906. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalfont_Viaduct

Every time I drive through I think it's clever that they designed the arches to take a 3-lane motorway 👍😉

Bl**dy "10 Foot" hasn't yet managed to get his sticky white-paint stained hands anywhere near it yet - only a a matter of time though as I'm convinced he works in the Rail industry .....................

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

... though they forgot to leave room for a hard shoulder - aka fourth lane.

Which they are removing from "smart" 😵 motorways by the mile ............................................... 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

... though they forgot to leave room for a hard shoulder - aka fourth lane.

That goes through the other two arches 

Andy 

• Funny 3

19 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Every time I drive through I think it's clever that they designed the arches to take a 3-lane motorway 👍😉

Bl**dy "10 Foot" hasn't yet managed to get his sticky white-paint stained hands anywhere near it yet - only a a matter of time though as I'm convinced he works in the Rail industry .....................

The proprietors of the Manchester and Birmingham Railway had the same forward vision at Stockport; although those of the Stockport Timperley and Altrincham probably didn't!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

The Bridgewater aqueduct - all looks fine from this angle except maybe a few splinters:

IMG_5860.JPG.3df387e9b55cbfefae83142288f26d87.JPG

But walk underneath it and it looks like this:

IMG_5864.JPG.902ebc72f3f9d4f3113f120ad2a81aab.JPG

It must have taken quite some force to splinter this timber beam - it's at least 12" square:

IMG_5865.JPG.18dee812200035f7dff4a353fe6f8d29.JPG

This seems to happen quite regularly.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Talltim said:

Greatbridge Road, Romsey

Sadly, it's as regular as clockwork at that bridge. Causes chaos for the town as it's the main route north.

The steel roll bars installed on each side of the bridge seem to do their job and cause maximum damage to the truck with minimum impact on the bridge. It's not a particularly low bridge - it will take double decker buses quite happily.

Yours, Mike.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1