Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

• RMweb Gold

Well done adb968008. It is always great to see modelling posts. When you said the 'A' Class isn't quite right for 52515, wasn't that the one at Hebden Bridge with extended sandboxes? There was a whitemetal kit for the L&YR 2F Saddletank but I can't bring the manufacturer to mind. I cabbed one in Moses Gate yard and there wasn't much foot room with coal filling every corner of the cab.

Saddle tank is Gem kits.

I grew up watching trains at Moses Gate.. 25s/40s and 101/4 dmus and such. I have an original Totem sign from Moses Gate. I used to bug Tommy who used to work at the station booking office, back before the days they knocked it down. Then headed up to the model shop on Egerton street before it got knocked down,at the time I didn’t find Farnworth Rail and Model Centre, run by Ronnie until at least a decade after. Seen oodles of steam light engine movements in preservation here. Only ever remember two slow lines by Green lane, never saw the sidings at Moses Gate, just parked in my dads car on the space left behind.

On that note, last night I got around to renunbering 3 Crabs that’s been hanging around my office for considerable time.. 42700/42820 both Bury 26D examples, and 42727 that was a minor celebrity at the end of steam..

Motivations came from.. 42727 at Bolton

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Bolton_Trinity_Street_3_Stationgeograph-2161601.jpg

And it’s Railtour celeb fame..

http://www.6g.nwrail.org.uk/rc42727on6g1966.jpg

Yes someone painted the tank vents white !!!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8199/8246266595_f585dca5b9_b.jpg

Then 42820 ex-works condition at Bury..

http://steamworldmag.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/51.jpg

And 42700 also at Bury..

https://www.rcts.org.uk/photographs/archive/380/THO/THO0074C.jpg

And my efforts...post-20773-0-46626700-1514989144_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-60065600-1514989167_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-40644500-1514989212_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-23854400-1514989355_thumb.jpeg

What’s this to do with Hornby I 2018.. well i’m Reckoning they won’t do a crab, and hiding it here hopefully Bachmann won’t spot 42727 as an idea. ;-)

I have Black 5’s awaiting the announcement from Hornby.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

Are you sure? I thought that GEM only made the L&YR 0-6-0ST in N gauge. 

Jason

It was established a few posts ago that the 4mm version was a Cotswold models kit.

42727 was a minor celebrity. It worked a special down the coast to Llandudno Junction and over the Clwyd Valley line to Denbigh. Someone had worked hard to clean it, then a numpty of the era was let loose with white paint.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

, then a numpty of the era was let loose with white paint.

Bit like me last night then ;-) Art mimicked reality.

Just finished gluing coal Rails, AWS boxes and cylinders on. Completely off topic, waiting for the hail, but the new 42765 from Bachmann differs from the old, in that the cab is already painted.

• Like 1

Back on topic, the full gamut of BR gangwayed Mk1s in the main range in crimson and cream livery, preferably with 'E' numbers, would do very nicely, as would a Railroad (ex-Lima) Class 40 with disc headcodes and TTS. The Railroad (ex-Lima) Brush Type 2/Class 30 sold like hot cakes in 2017 so there is a clearly a market for the successful early diesel types.

Before someone says those suggestions are for different periods - I know. Rule 1 applies and anyway it was some years before Maroon completely replaced Crimson & Cream. However it doesn't work so well the other way around with early BR steam locomotives and BR Maroon-liveried stock.

• RMweb Gold

Are you sure? I thought that GEM only made the L&YR 0-6-0ST in N gauge.

Jason

You know your right, I never noticed but my Aspinall 2f 0-6-0st came in a Crewe Special tank box ! Which is useful as I have one of those too, without a box. I’m seeking a cab roof for a kit Hughes 4-6-4t..which won’t be going LMS ;-) been looking for a year for one, considering chopping a Triang 3MT for one, so I can finish a part built one I found.

Anyways enough diversions from me, back to 2018... how many black 5s do we expect ?

Edited by adb968008

Not the strangest box I've found a GEM kit in.

I found what was supposed to be a Jamieson LNER A3 at an exhibition, asked to have a look at it and it was a GEM Midland Compound kit complete with a set of wheels, motor and Gibson chassis. Pointing this out to the seller I still got it all for a tenner. :)

Only four and a half days of diversions left. ;)

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Back on topic, the full gamut of BR gangwayed Mk1s in the main range in crimson and cream livery, preferably with 'E' numbers, would do very nicely, as would a Railroad (ex-Lima) Class 40 with disc headcodes and TTS. The Railroad (ex-Lima) Brush Type 2/Class 30 sold like hot cakes in 2017 so there is a clearly a market for the successful early diesel types.

Before someone says those suggestions are for different periods - I know. Rule 1 applies and anyway it was some years before Maroon completely replaced Crimson & Cream. However it doesn't work so well the other way around with early BR steam locomotives and BR Maroon-liveried stock.

When did crimson and cream disappear, for the most part ?

I’m good for Hornby mk1’s but the passengers using them complain they are hungry....

• RMweb Gold

When did crimson and cream disappear, for the most part ?

I’m good for Hornby mk1’s but the passengers using them complain they are hungry....

On the Southern Region, I think one 3-set of BR Mk.1s lasted in Crimson and Cream until about May 1963 but all remaining SR-built corridor stock was back in green by the end of 1959.

John

• RMweb Premium

I do hope that the Mk1 BSO and FK make it to the Railroad range.  I am happy to pick these up nice and cheap (seen RR Mk1's for as little as a tenner at some shows) and spend a little time changing the wheels to metal ones and adding a few decals from the various odds and sods I have in my spare transfers drawer.  You can even bag up the removed plastic wheels and chuck them on Ebay and recoup some of the cost too!

• RMweb Premium

Only one prediction, 46256 Sir William Stanier in BR Maroon but with yellow cab stripe. Despite being withdrawn in 1964, it would still fit with the end of BR steam 50th anniversary in 2018 and would satisfy the demand not filled by the first model, whilst being slightly different.

Only one prediction, 46256 Sir William Stanier in BR Maroon but with yellow cab stripe. Despite being withdrawn in 1964, it would still fit with the end of BR steam 50th anniversary in 2018 and would satisfy the demand not filled by the first model, whilst being slightly different.

You may be right on that one. Carried for only a matter of weeks, the disfiguring stripe was detested by enthusiasts at the time, but is apparently popular today....At least on RMweb!

Edited by coachmann

My two predictions for Monday morning are:

1/ WAHOO - fantastic range for 2018 Hornby, the new models are great

2/ They are now asking for how much? You have priced yourself out of the market Hornby

You missed, "nothing there for me, another fail Hornby"

• RMweb Premium

What is a wallet? I only deal with traders that use Bitcoin transfer so obviously, " nothing in that list for me". :scared:

The last Corri I saw on the real railway and earning its' living, was at Euston in August 1964, yellow stripe but nicely working 'clean' and probably on a down Coventry as I think they did in their last few months. Euston was in the middle of being 'redeveloped' at that time but was a happy surprise for a Devon boy on a mission and knew little about the demise of steam as steam had almost disappeared from all the other London Termini/Terminuses and had more or less gone from Plymouth by end of Summer 1963. There were quite a few steam worked trains in and out of there in the 90 minutes or so we remained there. I remember bunking Willesden that trip and it was stuffed with 'live steam' and, of course, Clapham Junction was steam paradise too. :stinker:

Counting down now..............................coaches, ummmmmmmmmm!

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think BR black as 46257 is more likely commemorating 70th anniversary of Nationalisation and a BR maroon Duchess other than 46256 (have you seen what 46229 is now going for on ebay?!)

Of course Hornby being Hornby and the new management 'knowing whats best' there will be no more Duchesses or Pecketts for 2018 but there will be K1's and B17's galore........

Being a LNER fan I'd like to see a super detailed D49, maybe an E4 and original B16 to compliment already produced models.

However can we not get a range of restaurant vehicles from the Big Four so we can model realistic trains for Hornby's fabulous locomotives to haul

• RMweb Gold

Being a LNER fan I'd like to see a super detailed D49, maybe an E4 and original B16 to compliment already produced models.

However can we not get a range of restaurant vehicles from the Big Four so we can model realistic trains for Hornby's fabulous locomotives to haul

It proves nothing but I'd be interested in all of these apart from the E4

It proves nothing but I'd be interested in all of these apart from the E4

Ha! The *only* one of those that would get me really excited would be an ex-GER E4 - a fantastic prototype that would make a fantastically cute model, quite unlike anything else in anyone's existing catalogues!

Paul

• Like 2