Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

I would like to Hornby to bring out a Virgin class 87 and also re-release the Virgin mk3 DVT, possibly as a train pack.

OxfordRail are bringing out their loco hauled Mk3s in Virgin livery next year (FO, SO and RFM) so it would allow modellers to have a fully matching Virgin train (assuming OxfordRail use a matching Virgin red).

Mind you Hornby have a very poor track record when it comes to Virgin stock:

The new Virgin mk2e coaches were released without any First class ones!

Hornby didn't bother tooling the TGS in 1999 when the first full-length Hornby Virgin mk3s were released, resulting in a missing coach for many years until the Limby version.

The Limby Virgin TGS was released with smaller stripes and Virgin logo. It also didn't have the distinctive HST silver windows meaning it didn't match the other Hornby Virgin HST mk3s.

The Hornby Virgin DVT releases were all (incorrect) mk4s until they tooled the mk3 version recently. This model is now quite rare.

The high spec Hornby Virgin class 43 even came with livery errors that were not present on their older tooling models including the cheaper railroad model.

Perhaps 2018 can be the year modellers are finally able to buy an accurate (pre DMU/EMU) Virgin train complete with matching engines, coaches, DVT etc.

• RMweb Gold

To think on the eighth day of the new year some will be happy some will be disappointed and some will write reams on how Hornby have got wrong some minor detail on what they will be producing, way before the model comes to market.

You've forgotten some will complain at its price and others how their wallet is now hurting!

• RMweb Premium

Careful! That's still a red rag to some of us. The amount of Southern region specific stuff really is quite frustrating to some of us. Especially when the 3rd rail engines are all clearly designed to enhance the range of this one region...

Thanks, I was however wondering about goods and passenger rolling stock.

• RMweb Gold

:warning:

Careful! That's still a red rag to some of us. The amount of Southern region specific stuff really is quite frustrating to some of us. Especially when the 3rd rail engines are all clearly designed to enhance the range of this one region, and while you might find the odd example of something used elsewhere, its nothing like the geographical coverage of something like a DMU or diesel. [1]

The fact that shop commissions and the like have now taken more slots and production just make this more infuriating. Some areas, like Scotland and the North east have little. While Hornby look to have finally moved north of Doncaster with the Q6, Bachmann follow with the retooled J72. [2]

:banghead:

[1] It wasn't always so, and makes a pleasant change from what Southern fans were offered prior to the arrival of Hornby's Rebuilt MN. The Bachmann N and Nelson were about it without a lot of work which was needed to make Hornby and Wrenn Light Pacifics into something half-decent. Beyond that there were reasonable approximations of the E2 and M7 and an alleged King Arthur "Sir Dinadan" that was pretty much beyond redemption. 

Having discovered that the then-conventional wisdom that Southern stuff "wouldn't sell" was utter rubbish, Hornby really embraced it, helped in no small measure by the fact that (until quite recently) their main rival left them pretty much to it so far as new models were concerned. It's taken nearly two decades but, by SR enthusiasts consistently putting their money where there mouths are, we've more-or-less achieved parity with the rest of the big four, and in some areas exceeded it  Because of the increased availability, people who wanted to model Southern, but previously didn't because of the poor r-t-r provision, have come on board and it's now a healthy market sector.

[2] North Eastern and Scottish prototypes seem to suffer the same preconceptions/prejudices the Southern used to pre-MN. The industry has changed since 2001 and perhaps an answer to that is for Northern and/or Scottish retailers to take a leaf out of Kernow's book and start commissioning their local wants. If that reveals a substantial unsatisfied demand, the big boys will jump on the bandwagon and, ten or fifteen years from now, you could end up in the r-t-r mainstream just as the Southern has.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On a Scottish theme, something like Highland Railway 103 could be a good seller. Pre grouping (not sure how modified the loco is relative to original condition),preserved, pretty livery, ran on main line in transition era. Don’t know why, but this loco has a Bachmann rather than Hornby feel to me.

Edited by Clearwater
  • Like 1

PS I have to agree with scottrain29 re the lack of Virgin stock and it would be nice to see the Class 87 released with the DVT again in Virgin, this really would compliment the oxford rail mk3s. The emission of the 1st class I feel was a mistake in their mk2e range.

PS I have to agree with scottrain29 re the lack of Virgin stock and it would be nice to see the Class 87 released with the DVT again in Virgin, this really would compliment the oxford rail mk3s. The emission of the 1st class I feel was a mistake in their mk2e range.

• RMweb Premium

On a Scottish theme, something like Highland Railway 103 could be a good seller. Pre grouping (not sure how modified the loco is relative to original condition),preserved, pretty livery, ran on main line in transition era. Don’t know why, but this loco has a Bachmann rather than Hornby feel to me.

A Highland 103 would be nice but unlikely . Although the first 4-6-0 it is of fairly limited geographical spread and unlikely to command a huge following. If it were to appear then I’d suggest a tie up with the Glasgow Riverside Museum where it is displayed , and if that were the case I’d suggest the NBR Glen would have greater potential.

What Scotland needs is one of the large classes of 0-6-0 , 4-4-0 or 0-4-4T that ran in the Central belt. I still hope for a Caley Blue 812. Why , there were lots of them, it’s preserved, can run in various liveries fro Caley Blue to late BR black. A J36 could similiarly cover everything from NBR to late BR black and as it’s been measured up, but the Caley hasn’t , I’d suggest that’s what we are going to get.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A Highland 103 would be nice but unlikely . Although the first 4-6-0 it is of fairly limited geographical spread and unlikely to command a huge following. If it were to appear then I’d suggest a tie up with the Glasgow Riverside Museum where it is displayed , and if that were the case I’d suggest the NBR Glen would have greater potential.

What Scotland needs is one of the large classes of 0-6-0 , 4-4-0 or 0-4-4T that ran in the Central belt. I still hope for a Caley Blue 812. Why , there were lots of them, it’s preserved, can run in various liveries fro Caley Blue to late BR black. A J36 could similiarly cover everything from NBR to late BR black and as it’s been measured up, but the Caley hasn’t , I’d suggest that’s what we are going to get.

Whilst I don’t doubt your logic around geographical spread etc, I don’t think you can always apply it to what would be a marquee style loco “I’ve got to have one” “I know it’s not my region” etc etc.

You could make the same argument about the kernow/Heljan 1361/5 class. Or DoG. or P2 (which lasted in the form modelled for a very small number of years) - There are numerous examples where a careful analysis of what period people model etc doesn’t always hold true. Key is can someone sell 5,000 of them to make a profit.

A tie in with a museum, an iconic loco, one that’s run in preservation, significant appeal to the collector market and in the transition period (I think you can see 103 in RailwayRoundabout?” strikes me a case can be made.

Maybe 103 or maybe something else. I agree unlikely to be able to guess specifically which loco is chosen however I was trying to identify a thought process that leads you to pick something that isn’t top ten on the wish list poll.

Edited by Clearwater
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The picture used for the cover has been identified by an eagle-eyed poster as one showing a Lord Nelson - the picture was identified by bull rushes which the cover artist had forgotten to pixilate.  The question is whether the pixilated cover is the real one for the 2018 catalogue, and whether that ties Hornby into announcing a Lord Nelson in 2018.

More likely the identifier has identified bullsh#te rather than bull rushes. 

I.C. Noships

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

In the other thread someone found the original painting that appears partially obscured on the 2018 catalogue front cover and it's a Lord Nelson.

Could be a sneaky curveball of course...

If Hornby have produced a Nelson I shall buy one two for myself just to get my own back, on myself. I think that 'someone' who spotted the rushes is being a porky teller and works for Hornby.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I don’t doubt your logic around geographical spread etc, I don’t think you can always apply it to what would be a marquee style loco “I’ve got to have one” “I know it’s not my region” etc etc.

You could make the same argument about the kernow/Heljan 1361/5 class. Or DoG. or P2 (which lasted in the form modelled for a very small number of years) - There are numerous examples where a careful analysis of what period people model etc doesn’t always hold true. Key is can someone sell 5,000 of them to make a profit.

A tie in with a museum, an iconic loco, one that’s run in preservation, significant appeal to the collector market and in the transition period (I think you can see 103 in RailwayRoundabout?” strikes me a case can be made.

Maybe 103 or maybe something else. I agree unlikely to be able to guess specifically which loco is chosen however I was trying to identify a thought process that leads you to pick something that isn’t top ten on the wish list poll.

Yep see where you are coming from. An iconic loco in a special livery that’s something different can stimulate demand despite being low down on a poll .

You could argue that Triang did that with the Caley 123 . Please not another reissue of that though. As nice as it is , it’s from the 60s

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Such is life at the moment, manufacturers of all products seem to be incrementally brexit price increasing, but also reducing the size of the product...

200g Dairy Milk it is no longer, Toblerone now has 1 less chunk....Even the advent calendar now stops a day early.

perhaps Hornby will join this trend and reduce the size of models to HO ?  :yahoo:

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

At one time, the big spenders seemed to be from the Midlands southwards. Maybe things have changed over the years although the litmus test would surely have been the Q6 0-8-0.

I don’t think you can do it by geography. I’m sure there are lots of people in Scotland that bought the SE&CR C or even Hornbys latest H because it looked nice. Coming from Scotland myself I’m interested in Dapol new GWR Mogul. I’m sure there’s lots of people from the Midlands southwards who Model Scottish Railways and would snap up Maude or a lovely blue 812. I always remember Simon Kohler saying blue locos always sold well.

The Q6 lacks the romance of a true Scottish steamer

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At one time,  the big spenders seemed to be from the Midlands southwards.  Maybe things have changed over the years although the litmus test would surely have been the Q6 0-8-0. 

I remember the Lima Rep once telling me in the 1990's the largest purchasers of the class 73's... were in the North west. (And his patch didn't include Hattons)

Edited by adb968008

Such is life at the moment, manufacturers of all products seem to be incrementally brexit price increasing, but also reducing the size of the product...

200g Dairy Milk it is no longer, Toblerone now has 1 less chunk....Even the advent calendar now stops a day early.

perhaps Hornby will join this trend and reduce the size of models to HO ?  :yahoo:

Or re-introduce the TT-3 range!

I don’t think you can do it by geography. I’m sure there are lots of people in Scotland that bought the SE&CR C or even Hornbys latest H because it looked nice. Coming from Scotland myself I’m interested in Dapol new GWR Mogul. I’m sure there’s lots of people from the Midlands southwards who Model Scottish Railways and would snap up Maude or a lovely blue 812. I always remember Simon Kohler saying blue locos always sold well.

The Q6 lacks the romance of a true Scottish steamer

Much as me preference is for a J36, I can see a lot of sense in making it the 812, like the J36 is was a loco that had a long life spanning pre-grouping, grouping and BR eras, being buitt from 1899 and the last being scrapped in 1963, it has a pretty preserved livery, but also it could be released as a railroad version in the Thomas range as Dougal or Donald, which were 812s

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Like 1