Scared of Weathering

• RMweb Gold

Weathering Powders - Mig Jimenez are simply pastels (chalk) refined down to a powder, and do a tidy job on really subtle effects, particularly on armour and air models, but you can buy chalk pastels, grind them into sandpaper and replicate it at a fraction of the cost. I've found them as useful as a chocolate teapot on rail wagons and have reverted to AK interactive, far more suited to replicating distressed W-Irons, shiny buffers, and streaking on certain wagons. 

That's strange. They both originate from the same source. My experience is quite different to yours.

Having been recently on the Missenden Abbey course I can thoroughly recommend it.

Prior to that I had tried a little dry-brush weathering but despite owning an airbrush for over 10 years I had never used it.

I can honestly say that the course made a massive difference and I am now building my experience.

(No connection etc!).

Tony

Same course as Tony & completely agree with his comments. I had done some satisfactory weathering without an airbrush before the course but Mick Bonwick showed us, amongst other things, how to use a decent airbrush. On my return from the course I went & bought a Neo by Iwata airbrush & have not looked back. A very experienced & known modeller now wants me to weather some of his superb P4 locos! Thanks to Missenden & Mick for an excellent course.

Cheers.