Birmingham Snow Hill in 7mm scale

kirtleypete

Keeping the open space over the tracks was a good piece of design.  

I've been working on board 3; it's nearly ready for ballasting and then the roof can be put in place. 

25742931208_facb54d4ab_c.jpg

25742932288_339ee3ed00_c.jpg

I don't like having the building overhanging the end of the board, but it was that or saw it in half and I didn't fancy doing that. The next board should slot underneath it. 

38717744245_dab4db37c3_c.jpg

27836523409_f673f97a03_c.jpg

27836524099_1d44c83ba2_c.jpg

Peter

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I'll have to stop looking at this - I keep dribbling uncontrollably over the authenticity, and the detail is amazing!

Edit for non use of capitalisation

Edited by DavidR

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

I love your work here.....it goes without saying it is superb modelling......

I have the greatest memories of the old Snow Hill......and am greatly proud to say that I own the original platform '7' sign that is seen in so many paintings and images of that once fine station...for anyone who wants to stand beneath it once more it now hangs above the locos in the Engine House at Higlhey on the SVR....

will your modelling extend as far south as the 7 sign...?

post-20610-0-29598800-1516405576_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-83342700-1516405646_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-50405600-1516406180_thumb.jpg

Great stuff here matey.....will follow this with great interest....

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is an appeal for help.  In the picture below there is what appears to be a chimney passing through the glazed section of the overall roof in the centre of the picture, just before the roof ends and the platforms have separate canopies.. 

39382326844_c3cf06ec83_b.jpg

Does anyone know what this is, and what was underneath the roof? I can't find pictures that show anything and unfortunately this is the section I am building at the moment!

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Added later - I've answered my own question, the chimney came out of the Telegraph Office. Why it needed such a huge chimney I don't know, but now I can include it on the model.

25222010017_01d3fbc864_c.jpg

28312953109_d8af11da1f_c.jpg

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the picture, it’s noteworthy that it’s the only chimney sticking up above the canopy, yet we know there are several buildings on both platforms which would need heating. This fact and the size of the chimney suggests there is probably a boilerhouse in the arches under the platform. It would be possible to bring a wagon to the end of the bay platform and offload coal quite conviently?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Just wondering:

could it be that this is no chimney but a post for the telegraph wires?

Michael

The GWR had very few line wires between Tyseley and Hockley. Virtually everything was cabled even before WW1 in the central area except for a few local circuits where it was difficult to economically put a cable in. Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Informative/Useful 1

Looking at the picture, it’s noteworthy that it’s the only chimney sticking up above the canopy, yet we know there are several buildings on both platforms which would need heating. This fact and the size of the chimney suggests there is probably a boilerhouse in the arches under the platform. It would be possible to bring a wagon to the end of the bay platform and offload coal quite conviently?

Absolutely stunning work "Kirtleypete" and thanks very much for sharing it with us.

On the subject of heating mentioned, could it be that all the main buidings were heated with radiators from a boiler of which that chimney is the flue ?

Just a thought