Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

1 in 100 is about right for the gradient out of Carlisle. When you get round to the Upperby roundhouse I've done all the drawings for it - it works out at about 4ft diameter by the way but it looks as though you will have room for a bigger segment than we have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mike; I'll bear that in mind.

Getting as many locos on Upperby shed as possible is a key thing on my scheme - mainly because it has to take all the locos that should have gone to Kingmoor as no room for the latter shed as well😧 (Perhaps I should re-name the depot 'Uppermoor'?) Only the ex-NBR / ex-NER route locos will go elsewhere (Canal shed).

So ... roundhouse can take 24 locos, 4-5 locos outside in ash/coal are, 5-6 locos in the outside stabling sidings hence c.35 loco on shed before it gets impossibly bunged up? Hopefully that'll be enough!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

A bit of basic carpentry later and here it is in its intended position (I've since determined that it doesn't really need to be taken down again). Laid out on top, for first sizing up is Upperby MPD, goods yard (six roads) and the running lines. Happily, it all pretty much worked out as per plan.

That looks like a long reach across. Have you recruited Twizzle to your team?

7 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

PS - anyone got a Heljan 89121 turntable they might have bought but then perhaps decided they didn't need afterall?(!) Serious question (I'm a bit stuck until I can get hold of one of those).

I know someone who might - watch this space.

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That looks like a long reach across. Have you recruited Twizzle to your team?

Aha! I was wondering who was going to spot that first ...

'Tis indeed a long reach ... in fact an impossibly long reach ... without a bit of thought and pre-planning. Firstly, the use of that piece of 25mm ply is deliberate as it will be suitably braced to take my weight as I'll need to work on top of it to install the turntable and radial tracks. Thereafter, it should be all 'hands off' operation being a loco depot, relying on the indexing of the Heljan table to line up every time (probably with some form of camera to assist). However, there's always the possibility of something going awry or even just humble cleaning / maintenance so ...

Secondly, the critical section of the running lines in the foreground will be arranged as a lift out section for just such eventualities; I've already marked and cut off the nearest corner of the board accordingly.

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I know someone who might - watch this space.

Thanks. I'll keep a watch on said space 😉

• Like 6

1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

My mate has an 89111. He had a lot of trouble with it, which is why he doesn't use it any more.

We've installed a 89121 in Barry's loco depot. Seems like the tool for the job but need to proceed with care I feel. It's 90' HO which works out as scale 78' in 4mm. That extra length should give a bit of leeway when trying to position a pacific from 4 feet away(!)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

We've installed a 89121 in Barry's loco depot. Seems like the tool for the job but need to proceed with care I feel. It's 90' HO which works out as scale 78' in 4mm. That extra length should give a bit of leeway when trying to position a pacific from 4 feet away(!)

An extra half-inch is always a good thing...

BTW Google can't tell me the difference between an 89111 and an 89121.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty sure the various Walthers turntables in N and HO are made for them by Heljan, but not sure how much they differ from the Heljan ones marketed in Europe and the UK. My 130' one in N has been very reliable. I did have to take it apart once to clean a bit of grit from one of the gears, but that was my fault for not keeping modelling debris out of the well.

12 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I use a Fleischmann (HO) turntable, which I think you have seen and operated.

It is not meant to be representational on my railway, but part of the 'rest of the world' . sidings.

I had some problems a year or so ago when it was unpacked after storage, but I was able to buy the key replacement part from Fleischmann. (Just before Brexit became operative.)

A quick check just now revealed availability in the UK - at a considerable cost!

2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I'm pretty sure the various Walthers turntables in N and HO are made for them by Heljan, but not sure how much they differ from the Heljan ones marketed in Europe and the UK. 

1 hour ago, drmditch said:

I use a Fleischmann (HO) turntable, which I think you have seen and operated.

A quick check just now revealed availability in the UK - at a considerable cost!

Thanks both. I am aware of other options - funnily enough, was checking out the Walthers one last night - all involve considerable cost! Interesting to know that the Walthers one might be manufactured by Heljan ...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham

I can't help you with sourcing but I can say that I am happy to recommend the Heljan turntables in use. I have two on my layout and I find them reliable and they look right even if they are slightly over size.

Both of mine could do with a bit more weathering / scenic work around them, but on one I have removed the continental style shed and added a fireman holding a steam pipe:

SJPPB13001202201113.jpg.261addc72d0aea596a17c538bc7d994f.jpg

The other has yet to be butchered in this way but is beginning to merge into the landscape:

SJPPB10003002201110.jpg.657432a234c2cfb76ffa66b9bbbd6c49.jpg

In terms of sourcing I wonder if you might be best to look around small, individual model shops - there may well be one that has such in thing in stock and would be happy to shift it?

PS - meant to add that they only need re-indexing if you lift the deck out, and or if a tiny bit of ballast gets into the cog that rotates around the outside, as this can cause the deck to jump out of alignment, but it is not a difficult process.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

PS - meant to add that they only need re-indexing if you lift the deck out, and or if a tiny bit of ballast gets into the cog that rotates around the outside, as this can cause the deck to jump out of alignment, but it is not a difficult process.

Tony

If by re-indexing you mean setting all the stop positions again, you don't need to do this. You just have to press the reset button and allow the turntable to recalibrate itself by rotating around until it relocates the optical sensor and thereby "knows" what angle it's at. Once it's done that, it's fine again. It is helpful to occasionally lift the deck out to clean the wiper contacts I find, and I wouldn't want to have to do the indexing each time!

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

If by re-indexing you mean setting all the stop positions again, you don't need to do this. You just have to press the reset button and allow the turntable to recalibrate itself by rotating around until it relocates the optical sensor and thereby "knows" what angle it's at. Once it's done that, it's fine again. It is helpful to occasionally lift the deck out to clean the wiper contacts I find, and I wouldn't want to have to do the indexing each time!

You learn something everyday!

Thanks.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

Please check the manual first, as I think the relevant button is labelled "zero" or similar, at least on my controller.

Will do, although being a male person, 'reading the manual' does not come naturally!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

4 hours ago, queensquare said:

I recently scratch-built the turntable for Bath, details a couple of pages back over on my Bath thread if of any use or interest

Jerry

8B5B3C23-9658-482F-8738-F95950708C76.jpeg.a265b3a346f84f9d9815b5dba19213bf.jpeg

91545001-B651-49CC-8A2D-305EA29E67A8.jpeg.5fd3947d913de31617303c2908873e54.jpeg

7F16F4CA-DEC3-42ED-BC94-3CE590059690.jpeg.035dca40b727a07f47d7265b53a2f867.jpeg

Thanks Jerry. Looks lovely, as you work invariably does.

It's not the building of the table itself that fazes me; it's the indexing of 24 roads to reliably line up every time that is the issue with the Upperby roundhouse. There's plenty of other turntables in the grand scheme - I count at least 7 in total (Central, Upperby, Canal x 2(!), Garsdale, Riccarton and Edinburgh so plenty of scope for building turntables in the years to come (including plagiarising the good ideas of others!)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Thanks Jerry. Looks lovely, as you work invariably does.

It's not the building of the table itself that fazes me; it's the indexing of 24 roads to reliably line up every time that is the issue with the Upperby roundhouse. There's plenty of other turntables in the grand scheme - I count at least 7 in total (Central, Upperby, Canal x 2(!), Garsdale, Riccarton and Edinburgh so plenty of scope for building turntables in the years to come (including plagiarising the good ideas of others!)

My method of indexing is basically electro-mechanical and is based on that used by John Greenwood which has its roots in Peter Denny’s Buckingham. I wouldn’t want to build more than one turntable but John’s North Cornwall system has four, including StBlazey.

Very much enjoying this thread.

Jerry

BBB852F5-8932-474A-81AB-2F1AF482072B.jpeg.46fc5d6564b059eb8e76426c6f64fe39.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

A question about Shap, if I may? If I was reading the baseboard joints correctly at the Manchester show, it looked as if there were rail joiners between the track sections spanning the joints? I thought this was a rather nifty idea for ensuring rail alignment, and the running certainly looked rock solid across the joints. If I'm correct about the joiners, are they just slid on and off at the appropriate times or are they retained in any way?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1