Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

How will you know what's inside - hang a tag on the push button?

He can see .. as observed by me yesterday you will be able to see into the shed

The 'table was never covered on the original - quite a few UK roundhouses were like that (think Inverness). I'm actually going to extend (literally!) that principle and cover about two thirds of each road (stall) such that the central (circular) opening is proportionally slightly larger than it should be. Possibly a perspex cover for the centre when not in use?

It MIGHT nonetheless be worth having some sort of tag system. We'll see.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

The 'table was never covered on the original - quite a few UK roundhouses were like that (think Inverness). I'm actually going to extend (literally!) that principle and cover about two thirds of each road (stall) such that the central (circular) opening is proportionally slightly larger than it should be. Possibly a perspex cover for the centre when not in use?

With DC control you don't really need to know what is on each road although it is a bit of a problem with my Brunswick shed - nearly all GC locos look the same when viewed from above. We need the tag system on our DCC operated Carlisle because you do need to know the loco number.

With reference to an earlier query, the odd shaped building at Upperby was the sand drier, seen very frequently in photographs because this is where the (usually a clean Duchess) the standby loco was parked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

With DC control you don't really need to know what is on each road although it is a bit of a problem with my Brunswick shed - nearly all GC locos look the same when viewed from above. We need the tag system on our DCC operated Carlisle because you do need to know the loco number.

With reference to an earlier query, the odd shaped building at Upperby was the sand drier, seen very frequently in photographs because this is where the (usually a clean Duchess) the standby loco was parked.

Rule 55?

Sorry to  be obtuse . I thought there was a connection between tagging a section switch and placing a collar on a signal lever . If the collar/tag were to be colour coded or numbered it would serve to remind that a particular engine was on on shed 

Edited by 1466
Omitted be
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I was wondering whether in the build phase it’d be worth including micro cameras to be able to see inside?

As a general rule (and I know there are some exceptions like the inventive 2mm fine scale version of York) , I think it’s a pity that modellers build amazing structures, particularly stations, that you can’t see inside.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

14 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

The 'table was never covered on the original - quite a few UK roundhouses were like that (think Inverness). I'm actually going to extend (literally!) that principle and cover about two thirds of each road (stall)

Like this one?  Taken from a former railway building.

240919TTOCNRoundhouse.JPG.4fcc61e6458eee58bdd0b0f5236e4540.JPG

(I’ve been overseas recently.)

Paul.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Like this one?  Taken from a former railway building.

240919TTOCNRoundhouse.JPG.4fcc61e6458eee58bdd0b0f5236e4540.JPG

(I’ve been overseas recently.)

Paul.

Canada digression - I passed by that roundhouse in 1998, long before it became the railway museum - it had been partly demolished to allow for some underground construction or other, and was later rebuilt (and is now a brewery I think)!  Which by most standards is a fairly remarkable turn of events.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1