Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Overrun, pah, I give you;

Mike.

Blooming Americans ... always have to outdo us  ... what was wrong with leaving it at :

"Hold on a minute Lads, I've got a plan ... err ... err !"

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Well, if we're going to play that game ...

image.png.4e214b03ca075eee2397682765dbaacf.png

(before someone else posts it)

I have to wonder what they hope to achieve with a man on a ladder and if the crowd standing in the background are drawing straws to see who gets the job of going up the ladder.

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I didn’t think you’d actually need any help to fill it!  
Although I’m happy to bring some likely candidates one day.

Good to see Princesses used to check max length roads.  I am glad I used a modified Peco table for Camden because if I’d managed to make a scale one, parking a Princess on it would have been a challenge. 

Lovely.  If I hadn’t been so interested in Camden, I think Upperby might well have suited too.  

Not sure if I would ever have managed to build the whole of the NW of England as well though.  

Iain

Edited by 92220
  • Like 5
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, as it happens their are another 2 Princesses (ok one is the Turbomotive), and a Duchess in the stock boxes for Shap under the layout.. 

Just saying...

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Poor grammar
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Walls! A Duchess (what else?) tries one of the exit roads for size. Looks convincing for clearance to me? Yes, it's not central to the panel; that's a consequence of the asymmetric shape of the building.

30mm from track centreline would give standard clearance. Anything less and you'd need those red-and-white chequered "Limited Clearance" signs - did the real thing have those?

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

30mm from track centreline would give standard clearance. Anything less and you'd need those red-and-white chequered "Limited Clearance" signs - did the real thing have those?

The opening is indeed 60mm wide, so exactly meets your criterion.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Bit more work on the roundhouse.

PXL_20240915_171250724.jpg.54194566df9fe7ce8087f1edc6ac44f6.jpg

Walls! A Duchess (what else?) tries one of the exit roads for size. Looks convincing for clearance to me? Yes, it's not central to the panel; that's a consequence of the asymmetric shape of the building.

PXL_20240915_194605014.jpg.f5df209a2b372124fc54dda288eae048.jpg

These are actually just plonked in place for this pic; I've since reinforced and temporarily fixed in place (for now, pending detailing). These are cut from 3.6mm ply. Although they're all different lengths, I mapped out the windows so they are evenly spaced; that should help to disguise the asymmetry.

PXL_20240915_200223347.jpg.1f0042105577f0f641657855457783f5.jpg

That Duchess takes up position on a piece of plonked (for now) track outside.

PXL_20240915_200149798.jpg.738fed449f4d8f5275a90eb3b6f0e6cb.jpg

First attempt at the 'classic' Upperby Duchess portrait. I hope to return to this spot on a regular basis. The new (1958-ish) enginemen's lodging building is an essential background addition.

Hi Graham

Do you have Anderson and Fox's LMS Architecture book? Also Hawkins, Hopper, and Reeve's British Railways Engine Sheds, London Midland Matters? Both contain drawings of Leicester roundhouse which was the same as Upperby just in a different place.

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Graham

Do you have Anderson and Fox's LMS Architecture book? Also Hawkins, Hopper, and Reeve's British Railways Engine Sheds, London Midland Matters? Both contain drawings of Leicester roundhouse which was the same as Upperby just in a different place.

6 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

That's what I did my drawing of Upperby roundhouse from, that's the one you've got.

Yes, thanks to Mike for making his files available.

In practice, in as well as being asymmetric, my version is not to scale anyway - real thing had 32 roads; mine has 24 (etc). So, at best, it will be an approximation / interpretation. And I'm not sure as to the level of detailing I'd go to anyway. We'll see.

My immediate priority is to get a the roof on (!) (it will be removable). I can then leave a load of locos stabled there and move on to other areas of the layout. For now.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

PXL_20240915_200149798.jpg.738fed449f4d8f5275a90eb3b6f0e6cb.jpg

The new (1958-ish) enginemen's lodging building is an essential background addition.

Would that be the building with a very odd roof. I found this photo on the RAILSCOT website and will delete if requested.

Many other photos of Upperby on there as well, but I expect you will already know that.

Screenshot_20240918-180233(1).png.dd9fd3524f562dacbd6f7ba160107979.png

Edited by Keith Turbutt
Mentioned other photos
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

My immediate priority is to get a the roof on (!) (it will be removable). I can then leave a load of locos stabled there and move on to other areas of the layout.

As a dust cover? Or protection from flying (dropped) objects?

Paul.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

The lodging building

Known as a hostel on WR.  Reading and OOC still in use in 1980 (just), Didcot and Banbury still extant then.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

How will you know what's inside - hang a tag on the push button?

He can see .. as observed by me yesterday you will be able to see into the shed. 

Using dc not dcc in this instance helps. You can get the type of locomotivevyou want by looking into the shed (the roof won't cover all of the shed.

And, the turntable and power on system works well..

Baz

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1