Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

FIFY!

MIke.

Yes, of course :)

Tongue in cheek …. This hobby is a serious business, not to be taken lightly , undertaken by your typical Englishman, stiff upper lip, suppress all outward signs of enjoyment or fun lol. stand around, hands behind ones back, making serious comments about how things should be, whether the colour of the ballast is correct and nodding in agreement with others doing the same.  

No, Graham was definitely playing trains!  As would I in his position ;—)

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

In truth, it'll be a 'couple of years' yet before I can play trains in the way I really want to. There was a need to test the reinstated wiring last night so I chose to make it fun - somewhere in between testing and playing trains.

Whilst the layout is set up in 'summer mode' I can run trains; once we get to the first show of the season (Shap at GETS, Milton Keynes, Oct 14th/15th) then it will have to be part dismantled for the winter. This is likely to be the pattern for the next few years. Plenty I can be getting on with during winter time, mind - subject to temperature in the chapel(!)

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

pre-loved

Second hand is descriptive, pre-loved is marketing gush.

Just like NR had an article on upcycled wagons which in the past would have been the much more descriptive ‘rebuilt’.

Paul.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, BoD said:

When finished, timetabling it all will be very … er… interesting.

Ah, but that's the fun part. Very much my 'thing', railway operations. Pretty much got the passenger timetable buttoned down (relatively easy); currently researching goods train workings (much harder). Piecing together all the loco workings for it all is the icing on the cake🚂

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Ah, but that's the fun part. Very much my 'thing', railway operations. Pretty much got the passenger timetable buttoned down (relatively easy); currently researching goods train workings (much harder). Piecing together all the loco workings for it all is the icing on the cake🚂

Fun,

and addictive!

Paul.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Fun,

and addictive!

Paul.

And even better when you werealso paid for doing it .  I once had to do a 'snapshot' of the full service in a particular South wales yard as it was oonce every 10 years going back to the 1930s fr case the BRB solicitor.  Evem mre remunerative - because we charged outside party rates for providng evidence in a court case was an analysis of past traffic over a particular curve in south west London before it was closed comparing it with the traffic using it after the curve was reopened.  And our evidence was sufficient to persuaded the judge to make a ruling in chambers avoiding court costs for the parties involved so it was also nice to help the folk who were the victims of a totally ridiculous claim by the other party in the case. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

9 hours ago, Barry O said:

Coke trains from Teeside/ Durham (over the tops from the Bishop Aukland end) iron ore and some paas3nger workings.. will try to get more info.

Baz

Ah yes, of course - doh! Whilst Stainmore route was open, iron and coke trains went that way so would never have gone near Carlisle.

Oh well! Perhaps we might run one or two token ones to show willing. Otherwise, would explain why pictures of goods train twixt Workington and Carlisle show other types of traffic ...

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

The inspiration behind the fish train is the 'famous' Aberdeen LMS /LMR train that left Aberdeen at 2.11pm and subsequently Perth at 4.45pm.

Much photographed in the early 1960s, when it was often a Pacific working. Check out second pic in the following link.

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/stanier-princess-4-6-2-history-0

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Another train to show progress (any excuse!)

PXL_20230820_180955911.jpg.e08b6ab6eef3c197403d835af410c507.jpg

Not had a train off the S&C route for a while, so how about this? Coronach heads the Waverley (!)

PXL_20230820_181641401.jpg.186cb276d8f14a848ae9711bf9e258aa.jpg

Looked just right heading thru Bog Junc.

PXL_20230820_182116242.jpg.76dc80ff52cea8d278d9fa3c61ce02d9.jpg

Anyhow - here's the progress(!) The M&C running lines heading away from Central have been cut (where necessary) and placed in their intended position. Need to be removed for spraying before laying for keeps. (well - it doesn't NEED to be(!); I just choose to do so)

PXL_20230820_182559939.jpg.fc6999320a3e66f012dc71ff9b02eb1c.jpg

As the A3 makes her way into the station, I've plonked an 8F at the head of a coal train to show the effect of replacing that single slip with a double a few pages back.

PXL_20230820_182446182.jpg.0ac2e52fa0db79255e358f92ac95eadf.jpg

And from the reverse angle.

PXL_20230820_183310797.jpg.e6ff6dbb65c446157bcc9486f7a90fd3.jpg

Couldn't resist a Central arrival shot. The Black 5s in the centre road have worked earlier trains in, waiting en route to the loco sidings.

Is that a Hornby A3?  My ‘Coronach’ needs some additional weight to cope with the climb over Whitrope

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

It is ... and it may well do, in due course. What are the gradients on your scheme?

I reckon about 1:30 rising. Have you had success in adding weight to an A3. I’ve managed to pack lead into a Bachmann A1 and a jubilee to the extent that they are the heaviest locos in the fleet but not attempted a Hornby A3. There doesn’t seem to be much room above the driving wheels

• Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, coronach said:

I reckon about 1:30 rising. Have you had success in adding weight to an A3. I’ve managed to pack lead into a Bachmann A1 and a jubilee to the extent that they are the heaviest locos in the fleet but not attempted a Hornby A3. There doesn’t seem to be much room above the driving wheels

Ah, OK - 1-in-30 is certainly asking a lot of RTR on a sizeable train. I'm hoping to stick with the 1-in-75 gradient of the prototype

Not had the need to take a Hornby A3 apart to add weight. Grantham is of course on the flat but, that having been said, we've found that the Hornby A3s have quite good grip and will handle our 8-9 coach trains of largely etched brass stock without undue difficulty.

I do have component parts to kit built an A3 ... one day!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1