Wife took my joke about a trainset for Xmas too far...

My wife is the most wonderful and caring person I know, and so when I mentioned I was into model railways when I was younger (and a little as an adult with some brass scale-seven shenanigans), she put that very honestly together with a 'wouldn't it be silly to have a little train to go around the christmas tree' comment and has bought me what I can only assume is baby's first Hornby set. Now, I love this woman and her goals were admirable and sweet, but I think we all know that the track, controllers, and both locomotive and stock in this little set are going to be just about abysmal. However, I want to see if there's anything I can do to turn it around and not be a total waste of money - I don't know if I could look her in the eye when she gives it to me on Xmas day knowing that it's going to get taken out and then basically thrown away moments later.

I think that actual operation is out of the question, and of course any remote approximation of prototypical views too. I'm thinking that it might be a bit fun to try to make it a model of a model; that is emerald and lime green flock, metcalfe card buildings, etc. it's really quite far off the scratchbuilding, 7mm, prototypically operated layouts and stock/kits that I've been working myself up over on-and-off over the last years, and if you've got any thoughts or suggestions I would really gladly hear them, 

Many thanks,

Edited by Lacathedrale

I once went to an arty gallery in London to see the OW Link show with my soon to be wife.  The prints on show were magnificent, the book published at the same time much less so.  The designers had cut the pictures to fit the pages, and some of them were spread over two pages and so on.

On the train back I did have a bit of a rant about the book, including the ludicrous price.

Guess what I got on Xmas Day... to say I felt like a total jerk is an understatement.

I don't think she ever forgave me.

Why not just run it around the Christmas tree for a week or so, just like she wants you to do? She is obviously trying very hard to please you, as you acknowledge. I have had a number of completely crap train presents from my nearest and dearest. But I cherished them all the same, mainly for not giving me socks again.

After that, I don't suppose she will give it another thought and you can do what you like with it.

Thank you all - I am very grateful for her kindness, she is after all the woman who I want to spend the rest of my life with. 

What does this wonderful set look like? It could be a great opportunity for some creative and rather whimsical/eccentric modelling!

I got a glimpse of the box as we walked in (postie had just dropped it over the fence) - it's a roundy-roundy with passenger coaches. I'm happy not to dig too deep to find out which in particular.  As it pertains to whimsical modelling I'm not a big fan of the 'pizza layouts' but I am open to suggestion? Maybe the solution is to run it around the Christmas tree and then file it away for future projects (maybe some kind of notional OO-SF plank or something).

... I have had a number of completely crap train presents from my nearest and dearest. But I cherished them all the same, mainly for not giving me socks again...

On a like theme, when I re-entered railway modelling, it took the best part of five years to get the generous gifters in the family properly focussed on 'the right stuff'.

I give Mother Christmas (AKA my spouse) a list, and she organises this very competently: along with everything else that needs taking care of...

• Like 2

I once went to an arty gallery in London to see the OW Link show with my soon to be wife.  The prints on show were magnificent, the book published at the same time much less so.  The designers had cut the pictures to fit the pages, and some of them were spread over two pages and so on.

On the train back I did have a bit of a rant about the book, including the ludicrous price.

Guess what I got on Xmas Day... to say I felt like a total jerk is an understatement.

I don't think she ever forgave me.

Apologies for wandering off topic.

I'm guessing we must have the same book.... :good:

I ruled out having the same wife...

Took me ages to find where you could buy prints.  Eventually I found the supplier in Belgium.

Had them 15 years or so now and agree they are wonderful shots.

post-6950-0-87603000-1511721484_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

On a like theme, when I re-entered railway modelling, it took t part of five years to get the generous gifters in the family properly focussed on 'the right stuff'.

I give Mother Christmas (AKA my spouse) a list, and she organises this very competently: along with everything else that needs taking care of...

My nephews were very interested from quite a young age, and were very specific in what they wanted, right down to exact catalogue numbers. 'No train set stuff please'. Even my brother in law seemed to get the bug. Sadly, the boys moved on to other things (now there's cupboards full of unmade plastic kits - and they've since moved on again - but the only completed ones in their house were the ones I made for them...) The railway stuff is all packed away and forgotten, like the kits. Even BiL's lost interest. God, the chasing around for stuff and money I spent, expect they'll all be ebayed one day when they want some quick cash...

• RMweb Gold

Run it around the tree like Mike says, and then incorporate it into the conversation piece glass topped coffee table she's always wanted, which is pretty bombproof in terms of brownie points and provides you with revenge...

The coffee table will have to be the centre piece of your living room if she is to avoid offending you, the love of her life.

Please, do not take this suggestion seriously.

Edited by The Johnster

Use it as an excuse to buy a better locomotive ... how about a Peckett or an Andrew Barclay? - then expand it further for next Christmas. Before you (and she) know it, you'll have a full layout in your sitting room. :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I agree that if 7mm is your forte the obvious way forward is to use it as the basis of an NG train. One of our club members actually buys cheap second hand OO gauge stuff, makes it into nice On16.5 models and sells them on ebay. Not suggesting that as an approach. But new bodies to go on the chassis can be very effective, though if it turns out to be a modern image diesel set that might be a bit more of a challenge.

But I agree with others. For this Christmas go with the flow.

(And Peppa Pig turns up from time to time on one of the serious 7mm modelling threads in this parish!)

Or if it suits the theme make pointed comments about keeping it safe for when the children are old enough.

By the way when they do come you need to bring them up properly. My daughter was making Slaters wagon kits very expertly at the age of 12.

Jonathan

...On another level, wasn’t OWL a superb photographer of the subject matter?

Wish I had still had the article from a circa 1960 'Mechanix Illustrated' in which he explained his technique in detail. It read like science fiction to the boy I then was, only the photos let it down: MI at that time was printed on the cheapest newsprint and the half tone repro was very coarse indeed.