Coal Tank smokebox doors

John_Hughes

As built the LNWR Coal Tanks - like other Webb designs - had a single handle and a wheel to lock the smokebox door. As time went on the wheel was replaced by a second handle, though the preserved example in LNWR livery still sports the original wheel.

Photos of the locos in BR days seem to show that the changeover to the second handle was by then universal. Does anyone know if this is correct, or if there were any holdouts still with the original wheel?

Many thanks!

Firstly, most if not all were built with a sloping smokebox face with a single flap-type door hinged along the top. These were replaced in FWW's days. The single handle and locking wheel was common to all LNWR locos with vertical hinges, but the wheel was replaced during WWII by the second handle; the wheel needed a spanner to fully tighten it while the handles did not. They also used a lot of brass, a rare material in the war while the handles were cheaper steel.

As far as I'm aware, all LNWR locos lost their smokebox wheels at this time.

Firstly, most if not all were built with a sloping smokebox face with a single flap-type door hinged along the top. These were replaced in FWW's days. The single handle and locking wheel was common to all LNWR locos with vertical hinges, but the wheel was replaced during WWII by the second handle; the wheel needed a spanner to fully tighten it while the handles did not. They also used a lot of brass, a rare material in the war while the handles were cheaper steel.

As far as I'm aware, all LNWR locos lost their smokebox wheels at this time.

That information certainly matches the photos I've seen; thanks for the confirmation!