The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Thread drifting

34theletterbetweenB&D

Still say my wife's got best legs on the forum.

I was once in the excavated remains of a forum of the classical period, in the company of the man who probably did more than any archaeologist or historian to make known the term to the UK public. Dear Frankie Howerd, and only months before he died so he wasn't in the best of health, and simply there on holiday with the rest of us (Swan's Hellenic cruise). But you can't keep an old trouper down, and he repeatedly had us laughing in all sorts of ways. Wonderful.

• Like 2

Oo

I was once in the excavated remains of a forum of the classical period, in the company of the man who probably did more than any archaeologist or historian to make known the term to the UK public. Dear Frankie Howerd, and only months before he died so he wasn't in the best of health, and simply there on holiday with the rest of us (Swan's Hellenic cruise). But you can't keep an old trouper down, and he repeatedly had us laughing in all sorts of ways. Wonderful.

Oo-er missus.

That man was a genius.

It reminds me of those worlds which comedians of that era were able effortlessly to conjure up - like Larry Grayson (before he became a gameshow host) banging on about Slack Alice and Apricot Lil at the jam factory.

Paul

... banging on about Slack Alice and Apricot Lil at the jam factory.

During a career in which I saw the inside of more factories than I can quickly recall, were I to start banging on about some of the events I have seen you could be forgiven for thinking it was fiction.

One morning's production meeting before daybreak during severe winter weather there was an almighty thud from below (the offices were elevated over the production floor) and before we could properly react, a deathly pale fork truck driver burst into the room, shouting "I am so, so sorry!" and then clean passed out, swiping his head on t5he way down on the metal striker plate in the doorpost, and proceeding to bleed very profusely all over the floor. At which one of the team present promptly dumped his recent breakfast all over the meeting room table. Slightly memorable moment...

• RMweb Gold

Mrs SE accompanied me on a number of railway trips before we were married. I think she was impressed by the regularity I found a declassified Mk1 FK on late night trips back home.

In the days when I worked down west and the future Mrs Stationmaster visited at some weekends she inevitably travelled back to London in a declassified compartment in an FK.  Possibly amazing until you consider that our Station Chargeman was always handy with a declassification label when the train pulled in ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My great Uncle's brother used to work for Clayton. His job was to insert the throstle grommet in to the crankarm distributor. Got an MBE too for services to the industry....

Phil

Wouldn't your great uncle's brother also be your great uncle? Mine was, but he was into potholing.

• RMweb Gold

Wouldn't your great uncle's brother also be your great uncle? Mine was, but he was into potholing.

Or grandfather? Who was wounded at The Somme in 1915, joined the RAF when it formed in 1917 and had one of the first radio shops in Worcester in the early 1920s. A very special person in my early days....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Too close a connection in some posts. Clayton Moore, AKA The Lone Ranger, appeard in a series of films 'Perils of Nyoka' in 1942 in the part of Dr Larry Grayson

Did Dr Larry Grayson have to shut any doors?

I knew a man who lived in White Close, High Wycombe. 

I had to look that address up, as I had never heard of it; which is not surprising because that was just a green scrubby hill when I lived in West Wycombe Road. In fact they seem to have even built a short row of houses over what was the lengthy back gardens of the West Wycombe Road semis (including the one I lived in). 

At least the Downley Donkey seems to be still there.