Euro Tunnel renamed Getlink

NOUN

• Britishdialect, informal  - A person whom the speaker dislikes or despises.

•  
    Example sentences
    • ‘Stupid get! O my God, how you stick yourself I'll never know!’
    • ‘I can't stand that other smarmy get.’

Hmmmm????

Are our French friends trying to say something here?

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Premium

"This new name, reflecting the dynamism of connection and exchange, marks the Group’s passage into an exciting new era for mobility infrastructures."

I couldn't have written such twaddle myself, even after a career as a journalist.

What kind of people do they employ these days?

And I don't think you can blame it on poor translation from the French.

I spent six years teaching English as a foreign language. I think I need to start teaching the same course in England.

Jonathan

• Like 2

I have given up on trying to fathom corporate-management-speak. 

It seems to have declined into BS designed to convey only the self appointed superiority of the speaker, at the same time as covering their ignorance. 

And, most of the brand name or logo changes seem to be simply a way of giving management something to do, in order to justify their high pay levels. 

Will trains have to stop in the middle of the channel for customs inspection, when we let Europe go floating off on its own? :)

I don't know. Do Swiss trains stop mid-tunnel for customs checks when heading for Italy?

• Like 1

Hmm.

Euro Tunnel. Pretty obvious what that is.

GetLink. Could be a mobile phone accessory for all I know.

Yet another backwards step for no fathomable reason at all.

I suppose we should be grateful that Tunnely McTunnelface hasn't made the journey through accompanied by much media hilarity.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

...... and how many millions have the corporate identity consultants charged for that piece of inspired thinking ?!?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Do they still own GBRF? .....

It was Groupe Eurotunnel's  rail freight subsidiary, Europorte, that previously owned GBRf, from June 2010 until late last year.

They sold GBRf to Swedish private equity group, EQT Partners, last October (Oct 2016). 

NOUN

•  

British[/size]dialect, informal  - [/size]A person whom the speaker dislikes or despises.[/size]

•  

Example sentences

• ‘Stupid get! O my God, how you stick yourself I'll never know!’
    • ‘I can't stand that other smarmy get.’
Hmmmm????

Are our French friends trying to say something here?

Wikipedia says

The word git first appeared in print in 1946, but is undoubtedly older.[citation needed] It is originally an alteration of the word get, dating back to the 14th century.[citation needed] A shortening of beget,%5B5%5Dget insinuates that the recipient is someone's misbegotten offspring and therefore a bastard.%5B6%5D In parts of northern England, Northern Ireland and Scotland get is still used in preference to git; the get form is used in the Beatles song "[citation needed]

I've replied to Getlink's tweet about the name change pointing out that their name meqns Bastardlink, no reply yet...

This article http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/20/eurotunnel-changes-name-getlink-prepares-post-brexit-future/ mentions

The French company, which operates the Channel Tunnel, said that it wanted to adopt a "very Anglo-Saxon" name as it expands its business interests.

However both 'get' (as a verb rather than a perjorative noun) and 'link' are from the Norse and are not Anglo, Saxon, or Anglo Saxon....

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 2

...... and how many millions have the corporate identity consultants charged for that piece of inspired thinking ?!?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Makes me wonder if it is the same bunch of twerps who coined 'ouigo' and 'inOui' in France for the TGV services.

The mind boggles.

Edited by olivegreen