FJ1701

Two things struck me, when I was looking at maps. 

The first was that its possibly harder, in some ways at least, to do a "What if" based on a real location since one has the task of designing a whole railway and fitting it in the landscape in a vaguely credible manner.

The other thing that occurred to me was that its all very well planting a fictional railway in a place/scenery you love, but f the railway had really come to that place it would probably have changed out of all recognition, especially if that line is supposed to have survived Beeching...  

Yes you are quite right, anyone can put a name and location with a layout but its the justified reasons that make it that bit more believable. Of course no one can predict the future and if the line was in-fact created and survived Beeching, I agree it would probably be completely different to my imagination. But that's what making a layout is all about, exploring and using the imagination.

• RMweb Gold

Yes you are quite right, anyone can put a name and location with a layout but its the justified reasons that make it that bit more believable. Of course no one can predict the future and if the line was in-fact created and survived Beeching, I agree it would probably be completely different to my imagination. But that's what making a layout is all about, exploring and using the imagination.

I keep having the same problem as well. I think FJ1701 and I keep swapping almost over the same ideas :-D although mine happen to be set about 10-20 years earlier in era.

I think the problem stems from so much of the Southern Region having been documented (largely due to it being the last run mainline steam), and therefore the history of most lines are so well known.