Judging at Shows

Tyro

• RMweb Gold

I've won a couple of pots

post-32558-0-88028800-1510095922.jpeg

Is that fifty points for the circle in the middle, 25 for the rest of the central shield, and 10 points for each of the small ones, with a 30 point bonus for getting both of the scrolls?

(I don’t mean to demean your pride in this, Andi.)

• RMweb Premium

I was at one exhibition where most layouts were by what I would call very serious modellers. Indeed, their layouts were very good. The prize for the 'best layout' as voted for by the public, went to ... the Playmobile layout. It was the only layout you could never get near because of the number of people enjoying it. A well deserved prize for the layout that got most visitors interested in the hobby. Didn't go down well with some people though!

• Like 2

40-something

I don’t speak emoji, and thought the yellow ball thing blowing a raspberry was a rude gesture.

Anyway, there are synonyms for mastery that would probably be selected for use in this sort of case these days, ‘expert’ for instance.

Kevin

Also strange that the OP hasn't commented on any of the posts either..............

Cheers,

Mick

Hmmmm, total of five posts and he lobs this little Hand grenade in....

Edited by rob D2

• RMweb Gold

Which has been reasonably discussed and nice to see the majority really aren't that bothered so the status quo is fine ;)

I was just about to type pretty much the same sentiment, 4 pages of sensible discussion, a bit of thread drift here and there but a balanced argument from all sides

Now if there was an award for best ready to plant bullhead points..........

• RMweb Premium

Never won an award. I have had something far better, a friend of mine won an award for the plastic card rolling stock he had made and was demonstrating making. He came up to me with said award in his hand, and said some thing on the lines of "Thank you Clive for the inspiration, I wouldn't have won this without seeing how you made your models".

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Never won an award. I have had something far better, a friend of mine won an award for the plastic card rolling stock he had made and was demonstrating making. He came up to me with said award in his hand, and said some thing on the lines of "Thank you Clive for the inspiration, I wouldn't have won this without seeing how you made your models".

I'd never have got to know you if you hadn't had Biggin Hill at Ally Pally, 

I somehow gained an operating crew out of that weekend too!

Andi

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Issues..? They don't just hand them out, you have to meet certain criteria in a number of categories and submit a shed load of paperwork for cross-assessment before gaining each stage. A significant number of exhibitors would probably be quite a way there to gaining a MMR (and I've never thought of it as being gender specific) through exhibiting a better exhibition layout, providing it is at least 32 square feet in size....

Like most of the specific trophies at some exhibitions, the best examples often aren't entered because the builder just isn't motivated or feels the need to gain such recognition.

Oh dear.

Paperwork, forms to fill in, assessments to be done, qualifications to be had?

Not my idea of fun, I'm afraid. Reminds me far too much of school, university and work-related competence training etc.

Fine if it floats other peoples' boats, though.

PS. I still think, because this thread isn't about a specific layout and is more of a 'general' nature, that it probably belongs in another part of the forum, perhaps 'Miscellany?'

Edited by Captain Kernow

I don't go to exhibitions (or should it be a show?)  with my layouts in order to win a prize. As others have mentioned, getting  an invite is an honour in itself.    What I enjoy about taking my layouts to shows is meeting other fellow modellers and explaining to the show visitors  how the layout was built. 

The shows I have been to with my Campbell Riverside layout I have received many compliments from show visitors on how nice the layout is,  from the overall layout itself to the small details.

Regards,  John

• Like 1