D63XX Decoder(s)

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Is the Decoder of choice for the Dapol Class 22 still the TCS EU 61?

I just tried to fit a Gaugemaster Dcc 27 Omni 21 pin chip  Gaugemaster-DCC27-OMNI-Decoder-21-8-Pin-and it will not fit direct due to the shape; there is a 'ridge' where the 8 pin converter harness would fit and that hits the two capacitors on the mother board. Not a problem as this is the only 21 pin I have at the moment (ready to fit in other loco's where I know they fit). 

Thanks

I just tried to fit a Gaugemaster Dcc 27 Omni 21 pin chip  and it will not fit direct due to the shape; there is a 'ridge' where the 8 pin converter harness would fit and that hits the two capacitors on the mother board. Not a problem as this is the only 21 pin I have at the moment (ready to fit in other loco's where I know they fit). 

Thanks

Maybe not what you want to spend on, but my Dapol class 22 has an ESU LokSound decoder installed. I can't remember what I had in it before I bought the sound decoder, though. You could try the TCS one mentioned, Lenz Silver 21, or ESU LokPilot - these are all decoders i have used fairly extensively in my collection.

Maybe not what you want to spend on, but my Dapol class 22 has an ESU LokSound decoder installed. I can't remember what I had in it before I bought the sound decoder, though. You could try the TCS one mentioned, Lenz Silver 21, or ESU LokPilot - these are all decoders i have used fairly extensively in my collection.

Whose sounds do you have on the decoder please, and would you be kind/able to post a video?

Just acquired one of these at a couldn't be refused price......

• Like 1

Whose sounds do you have on the decoder please, and would you be kind/able to post a video?

Just acquired one of these at a couldn't be refused price......

Mine has Howes' sounds on it (note also that it's an older v3.5 decoder). Not very exciting sounds, to be honest, but I know Bryan tried to match them to known footage of the locos at work.

One person I know of didn't like the MAN sounds and had Maybach sound from half a Warship blown onto his. It does sound nicer (I can't say 'better' because it is less accurate).

I do have a video from long ago but it will have to wait for a bit before I can upload it for you.

• RMweb Premium

I just tried to fit a Gaugemaster Dcc 27 Omni 21 pin chip  Gaugemaster-DCC27-OMNI-Decoder-21-8-Pin-and it will not fit direct due to the shape; there is a 'ridge' where the 8 pin converter harness would fit and that hits the two capacitors on the mother board. Not a problem as this is the only 21 pin I have at the moment (ready to fit in other loco's where I know they fit). 

Thanks

Phil, I used the TCS EU 621 (which is what I assume you meant) on both of mine and they work fine.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks all, I had looked at a discussion site from when the loco was released but I think that was sevral years out of date. I believe the Disc Headcode version was to be available. Is that correct?

Many thanks. 

Phil

Phil, mine are both disc headcodes:

post-21039-0-99988700-1443856971_thumb.j

• RMweb Premium

Phil, here's a better photo of the locos:

post-21039-0-27101100-1509532130_thumb.jpg

As you can see, I hadn't actually got round to fitting the discs when this photo was taken about two years ago - and I still haven't.

By the way, picking up a point from SOSJ the discs, including "closed" half-discs, are included with the locos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Phil, here's a better photo of the locos:

attachicon.gif20151010 003 D6306 and D6307 on Up Milk at Porthmellyn Road.JPG

As you can see, I hadn't actually got round to fitting the discs when this photo was taken about two years ago - and I still haven't.

By the way, picking up a point from SOSJ the discs, including "closed" half-discs, are included with the locos.

I shall need a new 'body' as mine has headcode panels and I've checked my pic and the example is as above, the earliest type(s).

Ref the discs, half my loco's are pre-used and came without detail packs. I have ordered some etched ones from Roxey.

Thanks St. Great picture.