Taking The Biscuit!

BG John

I posted this photo in the Cakebox Chat topic a while ago, suggesting it might make a nice entry. It was taken at Huntley & Palmers biscuit factory in Reading, on one of the last days their fireless locos were running, and I had a drive. Not quite cake related, but pretty close!
post-7091-0-12087200-1507578379.jpg

If anyone is tempted to model this scene though, please carry on, as it's not quite what I'm planning. This entry is a bit of practice for my Cameo Layout Competition entry, that I'm hoping to build. And a little warning of what to expect!

Palmley & Hunters are a rival biscuit manufacturer to Huntley & Palmers, based in the small town of Whimsleigh. Everything about the company is on a much lesser scale. The factory site is much smaller, much less impressive, and the internal railway system runs on a smaller gauge. They, and everyone else in the vicinity of Whimsleigh, also have a lesser grip on what we see as reality. In fact they may well occupy a parallel universe, or be caught in a tear in the fabric of time and space, where they only have a partial connection to our world. This picture, of another food factory in a nearby county, gives an idea of life in this unusual (to us) place, and the building on the right is similar to one to be found at the Palmley & Hunters factory.

http://www.titfield.co.uk/Barnfield/Find_card.php?xfer_text=M15&xfer_type=M&xfer_page=2

• Like 2

This is a quick mock up of what I'm planning. I needed to be sure it would fit before deciding to go ahead. Like the H&P photo, the fireless loco will be being charged up ready to start work, with a pipe connected to the building beside it. The other railway item (apart from the track) will be a wagon of some sort.

The building is adapted from the one in the picture in my last post. It's all knocked up using bright yellow fake Lego at the moment (hence the B&W photos!), but now this has worked out quite well, I want to build a better mock up. Then I want to take my time with the actual build, and see how high a standard I can build everything to, and get some practice for the Cameo Layout that includes a scene similar to this.

post-7091-0-71670600-1509227853.jpg

post-7091-0-70376100-1509227879.jpg

post-7091-0-45220500-1509227895.jpg

I'm not sure about the dimensions yet. This is on an 8x8 base, but there isn't enough space to add a roof to the building. I may use an 8x6 base, so I have 2 inches of extra height to get a bit of roof in, and have less depth mainly in the building. I was going to enclose it in a cakebox to control the view, but think it will be OK freestanding. That's why I want a better mock up.

• Like 10

I forgot to mention that it's 7mm scale on O-16.5 track.

Looking for ideas for whimsical narrow gauge locos, I don't think you need to look further than the real thing, as there were a lot of very weird looking narrow gauge locos produced. This one is cute though, rather than weird! It's German, build by Arnold Jung, and I doubt if any found their way to Britain, but anything's possible in Whimsleigh!

post-7091-0-97205400-1509229115.jpg

I'm planning to build a static version for this diorama, and a working radio controlled version for the Cameo layout. First though, I'm building a quick mockup. It's a great opportunity to finally overcome my inability to scratchbuild locos and rolling stock, as I can work up in stages. I'm hoping the combination of 7mm scale, rather than the 4mm I failed in before, and my Silhouette Portrait will help too. I've drawn up and cut the cab sides and ends, and the footplate so far. I hope to laminate the three 10 thou plasticard layers tomorrow. I couldn't find any 25mm o/d tube for the tank, so I'm going to try wrapping layers of paper inside an empty Pritt Stick, and soak it in shellac. Then I'll knock up a quick solid chassis, and stick photos of the wheels and motion to it. That will do for the mock up. I can take my time building a better version then.

post-7091-0-35924800-1509229447.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

What a great idea!

Looking forward to seeing your loco develop, I do like the use of the cutter to make the parts.

For the tank, start with a toilet kitchen roll tube - if it's not the correct diameter then splitting the tube and using a second tube as a laminated layer will give a good base of pre-curved material.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

That's a very nice design and idea John. I like how you've enclosed the scene on three sides and yet it doesn't look too cramped.

Using Lego for mock-ups is a great idea. It looks so good in that shot youy could almost just paint it!  :)

What a great idea!

Looking forward to seeing your loco develop, I do like the use of the cutter to make the parts.

For the tank, start with a toilet roll tube - if it's not the correct diameter then splitting the tube and using a second tube as a laminated layer will give a good base of pre-curved material.

The cutter is my only hope of cutting accurate parts, as previous scratchbuilding attempts have always failed on the first few parts! I'm considering getting a cheap CNC engraver/mill to handle thicker material though, to avoid the need for so much laminating.

I'll see if there are any suitable tubes in the bathroom bin. It could be easier than what I had planned.

That's a very nice design and idea John. I like how you've enclosed the scene on three sides and yet it doesn't look too cramped.

Using Lego for mock-ups is a great idea. It looks so good in that shot youy could almost just paint it!  :)

Then I'd need to buy more Lego for future mock ups! Everything is too solid and square at the moment. It needs nice natural curvy corners, and wonky lime render.

• Like 1

Version 2. Now on an 8"x6" base, and 8" high, so there's room for the roof. I've just done it in plain fake Lego, with no printed overlay. I think I'm happy with this version. I saved the space by reducing the depth of the building. All the roofs will be cut off at odd angles, but I think that's acceptable for a diorama. I replaced the arch over the track with a flat lintel to save a bit of height.

post-7091-0-06593000-1509316549.jpg

post-7091-0-04809100-1509316562.jpg

post-7091-0-14940500-1509316576.jpg

And in technicolour!

post-7091-0-19475500-1509316595.jpg

I didn't get the loco parts laminated today, but did make up the tank tube, as suggested by Stubby, using a consumable from his favourite room! I'll try to get it assembled tomorrow.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I didn't get the loco parts laminated today, but did make up the tank tube, as suggested by Stubby, using a consumable from his favourite room! I'll try to get it assembled tomorrow.

Aaagghhh ! Kitchen roll, I should have said kitchen roll...

• Like 1

Aaagghhh ! Kitchen roll, I should have said kitchen roll...

Although it's a bog roll, it's actually never been in your favourite room. It's one I was using for nose blowing and general wiping up of spilled coffee etc. around the house, so no hygiene risks were taken :). Anyway, a kitchen roll is far too big!

Brilliant ( in both senses)!

The loco was clearly built using an Airfix kit pug chassis.

The Airfix Pug doesn't have that horrendous valve gear! I might manage a static version of it, but the working one is another matter. Some of these locos had skirts, so that might be the answer :).