The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone have a sat nav they would recommend?

Ohmisterporter

...plugging in the device, presumably to a power source, am I right in thinking this would be the cigar lighter? I have not seen another socket in my Citroen Berlingo.

The fag lighter socket has traditionally been the 12v source. I use it to power the fridge and charge the mobile.

Thanks for the information so far. Just one question though; mention has been made of plugging in the device, presumably to a power source, am I right in thinking this would be the cigar lighter? I have not seen another socket in my Citroen Berlingo. 

My old Navman came with a lead with a cigarette lighter plug on the end, but my TomTom has a standard USB lead. You can buy a USB/cigarette lighter adaptor for pennies.

post-17811-0-74375400-1508492562.jpg

Thanks for the information so far. Just one question though; mention has been made of plugging in the device, presumably to a power source, am I right in thinking this would be the cigar lighter? I have not seen another socket in my Citroen Berlingo. 

Correct; you can buy an adaptor so that you can plug in both phone charger and sat nav. The leads can end up tangling around the gear stick so either carry some gaffer tape or re-usable cable ties.

We took our Garmin to Sicily a few weeks ago; though it had been updated just before we went, some roundabouts didn't show up, whilst it confused the new autostrada and the parallel, pre-existing super strada at one point. I suspect the errors were inputting ones from the Italian side- on previous trips, we have been directed down roads that didn't yet exist..

We took the device with us, as the cost of hiring one was more than the car-rental. I discovered that it worked on the plane, allowing us to follow the route of the flight out and back, and identify things like towns and lakes, as well as showing our air-speed. Sad, I know..

• Like 1

I discovered that it worked on the plane, allowing us to follow the route of the flight out and back, and identify things like towns and lakes, as well as showing our air-speed. Sad, I know..

Now that I didn't know! I feel the need to try that out...

I've not run into many issues with Google Maps navigation. The out-of-signal problems aren't really a problem anymore, as it saves route data offline now to counter that and you can save portions of mapping for various areas as offline maps, it just loses the real-time traffic update data access.

• RMweb Gold

For a moment there, I thought you had successfully entered some sort of Third/Fourth Dimension.

Milton Keynes ?

I've used TomToms for years, mostly good my Mrs had a model which was underpowered and was a nightmare to use as it was so sluggish, but the others have been fine.

For a moment there, I thought you had successfully entered some sort of Third/Fourth Dimension.

There were several bridges we saw that had been left half-completed some years previously, along with a tunnel- these were around Agrigento, but we have seen the same elsewhere. I wonder why...? If you were misdirected on to one of these, then you'd certainly leave the current dimensions behind.

I've not run into many issues with Google Maps navigation. The out-of-signal problems aren't really a problem anymore, as it saves route data offline now to counter that and you can save portions of mapping for various areas as offline maps, it just loses the real-time traffic update data access.

Not quite what I experienced in Dorset. Even though I supposedly had offline capability, the map simply froze, so I had to exit and start again.

Not quite what I experienced in Dorset. Even though I supposedly had offline capability, the map simply froze, so I had to exit and start again.

It will depend on how upto date the version of the app and android is usually, newer features tend to only hit the newest version of android and then trickle down a couple of versions (latest is now version 8)

• RMweb Gold

Best sat nav  ?

£2 AA road atlas and a quick squint at Google Maps / street view for any of the more complex junctions before you set off.

Then, once you get to the junction for real, you've already 'been there' before, so know which way to go.

Simples.

I've a 10 year old Tom Tom which has lasted well but needs to be permanently plugged in, maps updated some years back

I also use various android apps on phone, ones you can download as the reception in Wales is getting a lot worse, memory map great for walking, maps me is free is idea for bike rides as shows all the bike paths, it's good for foot work too.

Problem I find is location in the last 100 yards, sat navs are great if the postcode location is accurate, but postcodes were set to help the postman deliver the mail not location on a map.

Take for example church halls used by small clubs even model railway clubs, they give out a postcode, but the sat navs could send you to an address as much as 4 miles away because that's where the vicar wanted the mail sent.

So I use quite a few apps etc to work out before hand where to park, ( that's becoming a big problem) and then a phone appt to get us to the door.

It can be quite funny sometimes if you are on a new road and the Sat-Nav has not been updated, a few years ago I got one supplied with a hire car and it was obviously out of date.  Driving along a new stretch of the A1(M) every time I approached an overbridge it would tell me  - "sharp right in 200yds"

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Best sat nav  ?

£2 AA road atlas and a quick squint at Google Maps / street view for any of the more complex junctions before you set off.

Then, once you get to the junction for real, you've already 'been there' before, so know which way to go.

Simples.

I buy a new Atlas every year even tho' the car has a excellent built in system . :senile:  

• RMweb Gold

My car is fitted with a sat nav but I have a Gamin Nuvi 42 for when I have to use hire cars aboad and I also have a garmin Zumo 660 for use on the motorcycle. Both have free lifetime maps, updated 4 times a year. I've not noticed either of them being slow to react nor to give the wrong info. Garmin certainly are not cheap and their customer service is excellent in the unlikely event that you ever need it.

Nick I'm giving my views on personal experience I wasn't impressed with Garmin good for you if it works OK in your motor, they might have improved them since I had one of them BTW if anyone wants one mine is laying in a ditch up the A1.  :D  

• RMweb Premium

Best satnav? For sure not Garmin. Have one built in in my German car with star in front - purchased the car beginning of this year. Satnav didn't know changes in roads which have been done some years ago as for instance the elimination of the roundabout at the crossing of New Airport Way and Lower Harpenden road near Luton just to name an example. As there were several cases I took out the SD card - and it clearly says 2016 edition....

Also from time to time the satnav tells me to use alternative routes because of traffic - especially on the M25 - I followed its advice a few times just to learn that I would have been much faster if I would have stayed on the motorway..

Have an old tom-tom from 2008 which I updated a few times as I use it on business trips (or the better half uses it in her car). This thing works still very well, wouldn't want to give it away.

Google is a helper on business trips were you want to find your hotel while walking, but sometimes I get lost when starting to walk until I find out that the time to target gets longer instead of shorter.... :scratchhead:

One thing Google Maps is rather useful for is Public Transport, especially if you have to visit London. Working out which bus/tube you need is a doddle as it tells you exactly which stop you need and gives directions to it. Works just as well outside of London of course, but the walking tends to be a lot more!

I used to use a NavMAN SatNav, which worked quite well, until I got stuck in a big queue on the Dartford Crossing on a VERY hot day. The SatNav overheated and the internal (non-removable) SDcard it used for its data was effectively useless and the SatNav as well. The phone wasn't bothered by the heat and Google got me to my destination (even though I grew up in the area I had no idea where the B&B was in the middle of nowhere).

• RMweb Premium

I've a 10 year old Tom Tom which has lasted well but needs to be permanently plugged in, maps updated some years back

I also use various android apps on phone, ones you can download as the reception in Wales is getting a lot worse, memory map great for walking, maps me is free is idea for bike rides as shows all the bike paths, it's good for foot work too.

Problem I find is location in the last 100 yards, sat navs are great if the postcode location is accurate, but postcodes were set to help the postman deliver the mail not location on a map.

Take for example church halls used by small clubs even model railway clubs, they give out a postcode, but the sat navs could send you to an address as much as 4 miles away because that's where the vicar wanted the mail sent.

So I use quite a few apps etc to work out before hand where to park, ( that's becoming a big problem) and then a phone appt to get us to the door.

Ironically (sort of), if I am going to a destination I've not been to before, I look it up on Google Maps on the laptop first to get as accurate an idea of where the place actually is geographically (rather than a vague postcode attempt). Then I find the same place by map view on the TomTom Go app (unfortunately not the easiest of things to do as it won't allow selection of a place on map when a search for postcode is current!) and add it as a 'favourite'. That way I know TomTom's inaccuracy for addresses is avoided.

I also feel that the TomTom Go Android app is missing other useful things such as: setting a max speed to calculate a more realistic arrival time as on average I don't do more than 60mph on motorways and dual carriageways; and allow better, more comprehensive advance route planning such as listing rest places along the route and planning in a stoppage time for them (again, it gets a more accurate arrival time).

Edited by Ian J.

Ironically (sort of), if I am going to a destination I've not been to before, I look it up on Google Maps on the laptop first to get as accurate an idea of where the place actually is geographically (rather than a vague postcode attempt). Then I find the same place by map view on the TomTom Go app (unfortunately not the easiest of things to do as it won't allow selection of a place on map when a search for postcode is current!) and add it as a 'favourite'. That way I know TomTom's inaccuracy for addresses is avoided.

I also feel that the Android app is missing other useful things such as: setting a max speed to calculate a more realistic arrival time as on average I don't do more than 60mph on motorways and dual carriageways; and allow better, more comprehensive advance route planning such as listing rest places along the route and planning in a stoppage time for them (again, it gets a more accurate arrival time).

Google are continuly adding more features and welcome feature suggestions usually.

• RMweb Gold

Ian, check the T&Cs of your purchase to see if your Renault comes with free updates. From what I can gather, some do, some don't. Figuring out which is which is far from easy.

My wife was considering a new Renault last year. Satnav updates was one of the questions I asked the main dealer. He confirmed that updates were not free (we were looking at a Clio), and the update charge was around £50. What he failed to mention was that there are often up to 4 updates a year (ouch).

My purchase was through a dealer network called Multimarque, which operates throughout mainland Europe. It’s kinda like supporting your local hobbyshop - this is the small fix-em-all garage in my village. So to some extent Renault are only indirectly responsible. But as one who hasn’t ever used satnav, except in the heady days when Deb was using one on trips elsewhere in Europe, it isn’t the end of the world. And a quick butchers in Curry’s this morning confirmed TomToms for less than £100 with lifetime free Europe updates. My recollection is that TomTom offered updates day-in, day-out!

• RMweb Premium

Google are continuly adding more features and welcome feature suggestions usually.

I was thinking of the TomTom Go Android app. I've edited my post to make that clearer.

I always use Google maps on my iPhone as I find the real-time traffic is great. I have a choice of several routes for my commute - which is the quickest varies day on day.

An hours drive uses about 20% of the battery so I tend to plug in the charger for a journey of any reasonable length. The main advantages are no need to update maps as you always get the latest version and I always have my phone with me so it doesn't matter who's car I jump in!

I always use Google maps on my iPhone as I find the real-time traffic is great. I have a choice of several routes for my commute - which is the quickest varies day on day.

An hours drive uses about 20% of the battery so I tend to plug in the charger for a journey of any reasonable length. The main advantages are no need to update maps as you always get the latest version and I always have my phone with me so it doesn't matter who's car I jump in!

You mean you don't use Apple Maps? ;)