Bachmann 166 turbo - quick question

Hi,

Is it possible to run one of these as a 2 car ?

I.e. Is the motor gibbons in the middle car or one end, and if so can the two outlets be coupled together ?

Need a turbo, but not a 3 car !

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob

Motor in the middle car of mine don't know if body swap possible.

Thanks

Mark

• RMweb Gold

You can swap the cab coach, lighting board and the moulded coupling to the power car but not all the body clips line up correctly.  I think I had to cut one pair of clips off when I changed the motor chassis to the cab coach on FGW model.

• RMweb Premium

Iirc it's only one extra window to add in one coach, i scribed the frame in on mine and was going to cut it out but ended up just painting the window on!!

10072010596.jpg

10072010599.jpg

11072010599.jpg

It's certainly not a massive change

All the windows on a 165 have an opening toplight.

The 166s are 3 cars, and the motor mechanism is located in the middle car, the 165/1s and /0s have an extra window at the front of the cars behind the driving cab area, as there are an extra 4 seats in 2-2 formation. The 165s also have opening window hoppers on all windows, the 166s only have a couple per coach as they are "air conditioned" and I use that term loosely.

The hopper windows can be represented by getting a dark grey marker, and very carefully drawing them on each window, time consuming, but it depends how accurate you want your model

HTH

NL

• RMweb Premium

Didn't the Chiltern 165s have aircon fitted at refurbishment, and so have lost their opening windows now?  A quick Google Image search shows all fixed windows - while the FGW / GWR ones still have the opening hoppers.

• RMweb Gold

It's a really simple job, I did it in about 20 minutes (apart from the repaint obviously) I seem to remember I had to glue the cab inferior/lighting unit to the chassis as there are no screw holes, there is no metal work needed

It does depend on what era (and TOC) you are modelling regards the windows but if like me your not too bothered you can just leave the mounded window bars in situ if it's an air con fitted unit or add them with a pen/brush if you want hopper windows

Like a few others. I too have moved the power unit from the centre car to an end one.  Before responding, I had a quick look at what I had done.

The motorised chassis has a squared off end - which goes at the corridor end of the driver, plus an end with a taper (slightly pointy as Baldrick might say).  I found that the cab shape prevented the tapered end from fitting well - so I have sawn off a couple of millimeters either side of the taper so that it starts earlier and the "flat end" is marginally narrower.  This is probably removing more than required but works.

The bogie sides are clip fitted (clips front and rear) and so can be swopped over to transfer the bogie with coupling to the now unpowered centre coach.

You will need to unsolder the light cables and resolder to the motorised chassis if you want the head and rear LED lights to work.  Otherwise they can be disconnected as they have a plug & socket to ease removal of the body from its dummy chassis.

Finally you will need to remove the dummy BSI connector and fit to the motorised chassis.  OK I didn't as I've fitted Kaydees instead - but that's another story

As an addendum; when Bachmann announced the Class 166, they also announced the class 165.  There was some story about "significant dimensional differences" and the Class 165s never materialised.  

• RMweb Gold

Just had a look myself at what I did to my 166 power car, it was simpler than I remember, all the driving coach body clips and screws line up and the power chassis is designed to accept the small lighting board and the dummy BSI coupling.

As knitpick says you have to unsolder the light cables but that's about the most difficult job. I recon the whole job should take less than 30 mins.

Here are some links to pics of 166's operating as two car units

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/15853641326/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/laurasia280/9533239358/

• RMweb Premium

As far as moving the power car goes, you could always do what I did with a 158 (same construction as 166s) - I bought a 3-car Transpennine one to re-livery as the unique WYPTE version with red/silver "N", in the same style as the transpennine livery.  So swapped the centre car chassis for the driving car, with a few mods to remove the cosmetic end coupling, and swap the bogie frame with a coupling for the one without at the cab end.  Then used the centre car on an upowered chassis to form a 3 car Northern set by painting it in blue with white doors.  It wasn't until afterwards I wondered why I didn't just put the 3 northern bodies on the 3-car chassis, and the 2 WYPTE ones on the 2 car chassis, it would have saved a lot of messing about!

:scratchhead:

Just had a look myself at what I did to my 166 power car, it was simpler than I remember, all the driving coach body clips and screws line up and the power chassis is designed to accept the small lighting board and the dummy BSI coupling.

As knitpick says you have to unsolder the light cables but that's about the most difficult job. I recon the whole job should take less than 30 mins.

Here are some links to pics of 166's operating as two car units

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/15853641326/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/laurasia280/9533239358/

That second picture shows the difference in the roof vents very well, the small grilles on the sides beside the doors on the 166 and the slightly different window arrangements, the one people miss is on the far coach of the 165 behind the front set of passenger doors where there is a small window and larger metal panel instead of a full size window which was where the bulkhead used to be between the (larger) 1st class section and Standard class, this picture shows it quite well (not mine)-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40011/6087029446/in/photolist-agTBMy-9B1zJD-XbAubh-mVNrgf-VWKJXR-fr3A5M-8xKuZA-eYpg2s-WtkM8g-TfSUNr-9UeCbm-mVLyhT-aGSzDX-E7odr5-WgNxhY-yChRCp-Vwuccy-VJmxfQ-X4YMrz-U8TmH5-eJbMgs-RKj1fi-XjgQ8B-URSABa-ThPFPh-faoQ5j-9vFRtm-YRXBBe-WofYPk-U376qK-Tjb1NZ-W118NC-cyKzoA-Yijskq-Wiqyqe-944pS9-Z2f3yi-YX6QKU-BVctS1-x6EnM9-p4vMsK-oMhjLj-qfjUQP-aNSEb2-faoNTN-rRosR-VxyzhE-FwuRG3-Vur1Ud-V1EbFK

Edit-

This shows the original size of the 1st class section-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sixbellsjunction/22902947755/in/photolist-9wqNjg-qRhKM7-zWY2i4-ATRArz/

Just to confuse the issue a bit more, this one shows that the 2 coach sets had a smaller 1st class section (just up to the set of doors) than the 3 coach sets so the first window behind the doors is a normal sized one and not the smaller one-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40172673@N03/31312717560/in/photolist-PGZS1G-oupQRU/lightbox/

Isnt it great that they were all built to a 'standard' design. 

Edited by royaloak

• 1 month later...