Abbotswood and Norton Junctions - layout build

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Ah sorry Mike you have to get yourself over!!!

We ran all areas today …. B&G, OWW and finally the reversing loops at both ends . By common consent this was the best running ever. A few minor electrical gremlins cured, a few track joints across boards needed sorting but they get less every outing. Also corrected a few errors in the routes . 

Here’s a link to my video, suspect there will be more. 

Abbotswood at GWSR gala

Suspect there might be more.

Could not let this pass without acknowledging the support of the crew, particularly James who did all days, @Downendian who did 3 days, Brian Thomas who did two, @tarifa and @Pierre Le Brun who did one along with Digby Wall and Chris Pate. Thank you all, it’s a major exercise in logistics!

Cor blimey guv, that video makes the train set look wonderful.....and I can't wait to see it in the flesh.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Here’s a link to my video, suspect there will be more.

An excellent short, nay, very short, video taster!

There had better be or I shall be blaming the new Labour government!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Hope all is safely back in Churchdown Phil. I had a great time, still learning the routes but I think mastered the unpacking all the boards. Thanks for letting me run my rakes, hope they will be faultless next time. It was a veritable SLW Sulzer-fest this time- what wonderful locos they are.

I know a little bit of what Phil and his son Jim do behind the scenes - a huge undertaking, and one they do with great enthusiasm. Phil has a little red notebook where all faults all logged, and I can guarantee all will be sorted before the layout hits the road again.

Thanks for the brief stay, the beer, pancakes, star burger, millionaires shortbread and as always the huge amount of expertise in everything model railway and great company.

Neil 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Downendian said:

Hope all is safely back in Churchdown Phil. I had a great time, still learning the routes but I think mastered the unpacking all the boards. Thanks for letting me run my rakes, hope they will be faultless next time. It was a veritable SLW Sulzer-fest this time- what wonderful locos they are.

I know a little bit of what Phil and his son Jim do behind the scenes - a huge undertaking, and one they do with great enthusiasm. Phil has a little red notebook where all faults all logged, and I can guarantee all will be sorted before the layout hits the road again.

Thanks for the brief stay, the beer, pancakes, star burger, millionaires shortbread and as always the huge amount of expertise in everything model railway and great company.

Neil 

Thank you Neil that’s very kind! It’s the least we can do to put you up when you contribute so much to running the layout…. Along with the rest of the team! Wagon rakes looked excellent too.

For the first time we ran all routes too … that was epic. As you say so were the SLW sulzers… 

For those who haven’t seen the logistics here’s the layout boxed up and being loaded in the van …. IMG_0678.jpeg.dcd311455f6bb4800b131399666f85b2.jpeg

IMG_0679.jpeg.84303cb693b4a15a247d33484df0cf29.jpeg

Will put a picture of the Sulzerfest on the SLW class 25 thread…

IMG_0681.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Very impressive and efficient!

Mike.

Cheers! Set up and break down each take 2 hours… 

• RMweb Premium

Big van required!

I reckon I could get one in the back with the rear seats folded down

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, MJI said:

Big van required!

I reckon I could get one in the back with the rear seats folded down

Designed to go in a long wheelbase Luton…. 

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Designed to go in a long wheelbase Luton…. 

What is the total weight Phil?

Andi

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Dagworth said:

What is the total weight Phil?

Andi

Given I can lift a single board comfortably and a boxed pair just about I reckon it’s 50kg per pair of boards so 500kg for the layout plus another 2-300 for stock etc … total 800kg

Comfortably within capacity of a Luton which is quoted as 1300 Kg 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Given I can lift a single board comfortably and a boxed pair just about I reckon it’s 50kg per pair of boards so 500kg for the layout plus another 2-300 for stock etc … total 800kg

Comfortably within capacity of a Luton which is quoted as 1300 Kg 

As you will probably be aware Phil, don't hire a luton with a tail lift, the capacity drops dramatically!

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

As you will probably be aware Phil, don't hire a luton with a tail lift, the capacity drops dramatically!

Mike.

You are right Mike drops to a minimum of 800 kg so we are still ok. Need the tail lift for the boards… 

And when it comes to estimating weight don’t forget I am a fisherman 😀

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

You are right Mike drops to a minimum of 800 kg so we are still ok. Need the tail lift for the boards… 

And when it comes to estimating weight don’t forget I am a fisherman 😀

Not that I am inferring anything you understand, but that includes driver passengers and fuel, I'd be thrown out as ballast!

Mike.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hoped Trainline5000 would turn up again and do some filming… it’s difficult for those on the crew to operate and film.

So here you go! 

Trainline5000 video of layout at Winchcombe GWSR diesel gala 2024

Think the signalman must have been on the whacky baccy …. 

• Like 10

Hi Phil,

Some fine filming,showing the splendid scenery and terrific attention to detail on the workings and loco's.

Looks like Motorail bookings could do with an upturn...😃

Any plans to exhibit dahn sarf in the near future?

Neil.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, D860 VICTORIOUS said:

Hi Phil,

Some fine filming,showing the splendid scenery and terrific attention to detail on the workings and loco's.

Looks like Motorail bookings could do with an upturn...😃

Any plans to exhibit dahn sarf in the near future?

Neil.

Thanks for kind words Neil. 

Currently looking at opportunities! Initial discussions are for Statfold barn and/or Taunton in 2025… 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A long standing issue which came to a head at Winchcombe was derailments on the B&G down main on the slip giving access to the down goods loop. The inconsistency of this had led me to postpone investigation particularly as it is hidden under the timber work for the high level OWW fiddle yard track. Who would do such a silly thing??? IMG_0760.jpeg.dd627dfb1c392ad31c96865f11989859.jpeg

It’s under there! It couldn’t be tolerated any longer so I got the dremmel and oscillating saw out and girded up my loins… the solution would be to change the slip for a new one leaving an access panel in the high level so any future rectification work would have easy access. 

IMG_0756.jpeg.c01cce6306a549ce30305cd22ea0c3c7.jpeg

Here’s the track work under the high level … IMG_0754.jpeg.6cf531de65c9cebc56e66ad93e021075.jpeg

And here’s everything on the low level back in place. All routes tested and smooth…

So the cause? I suspected indifferent track laying initially but the Cobalt armature at the facing end of the slip was also under suspicion… it was very difficult to see what was going on under there when the layout was assembled and trains running. To eliminate the armature I had attacked it with a grinding wheel to ensure it wasn’t protruding too much … bad idea! Grinding = friction = heat! The armature got so hot it carved its way out of the tie bar IMG_0758.jpeg.774f656a56eb02075eca70489bf1ad1f.jpeg

Resulting in inconsistent point changing. 

All solved now although the heat was so intense outside I could t work for more than 30 mins at a time so took the best part of 3 days… 

IMG_0755.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

4 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

A long standing issue which came to a head at Winchcombe was derailments on the B&G down main on the slip giving access to the down goods loop. The inconsistency of this had led me to postpone investigation particularly as it is hidden under the timber work for the high level OWW fiddle yard track. Who would do such a silly thing??? IMG_0760.jpeg.dd627dfb1c392ad31c96865f11989859.jpeg

It’s under there! It couldn’t be tolerated any longer so I got the dremmel and oscillating saw out and girded up my loins… the solution would be to change the slip for a new one leaving an access panel in the high level so any future rectification work would have easy access. 

IMG_0756.jpeg.c01cce6306a549ce30305cd22ea0c3c7.jpeg

Here’s the track work under the high level … IMG_0754.jpeg.6cf531de65c9cebc56e66ad93e021075.jpeg

And here’s everything on the low level back in place. All routes tested and smooth…

So the cause? I suspected indifferent track laying initially but the Cobalt armature at the facing end of the slip was also under suspicion… it was very difficult to see what was going on under there when the layout was assembled and trains running. To eliminate the armature I had attacked it with a grinding wheel to ensure it wasn’t protruding too much … bad idea! Grinding = friction = heat! The armature got so hot it carved its way out of the tie bar IMG_0758.jpeg.774f656a56eb02075eca70489bf1ad1f.jpeg

Resulting in inconsistent point changing. 

All solved now although the heat was so intense outside I could t work for more than 30 mins at a time so took the best part of 3 days… 

IMG_0755.jpeg

Nicely done doctor.

And brown shoes. Looks like someone will get a kick up the backside.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, RBAGE said:

Nicely done doctor.

And brown shoes. Looks like someone will get a kick up the backside.

Yup … well deserved too!!! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

With Andy Ys kind agreement posting this here.... a chance to come and see the layout!

Presented with the help of RMwebbers and other friends… there may be other layouts and attractions, watch here for updates.

Churchdownshow2024picture.png.12eeac0962dacba6dc245d4028457f16.png

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

With Andy Ys kind agreement posting this here.... a chance to come and see the layout!

Presented with the help of RMwebbers and other friends… there may be other layouts and attractions, watch here for updates.

Churchdownshow2024picture.png.12eeac0962dacba6dc245d4028457f16.png

That is only a few metres from where Precision Paints were based!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, MJI said:

That is only a few metres from where Precision Paints were based!

Yes indeed! They left before I arrived though… must have known I was coming!!! 😀