Ebay annoyances

Butler Henderson

On 30/06/2024 at 03:50, MrWolf said:

Re: selling items for a fiver or less:

Screenshot_2024-06-30-03-39-28-981.jpg.e78a8b11f7dfab596291ea8510cb3bd8.jpg

So that would be £7.23 coming to me, less the £3.69 postage gives me a grand total of £3.54 in my pocket.

I have to remind myself that the item in question cost me nothing and was found amongst a pile of scrap metal.

It just annoys me that the chiselling cormorants at eBay see fit to tax you on the postage. 

I don't butter the postage costs nor do I charge for packaging materials.

Still, you don't get to be a billionaire without screwing lots of people over.

As I said before wait till there is an 80% off selling fees then list.

Still its something that cost you nothing, you did not want, and you have a happy buyer and best of all the item has been recycled

To me fair to all

• Agree 1

On 30/06/2024 at 05:43, LSWRArtilary said:

Has anyone found an alternative to EBay, which seems ever more expensive and not working as well as Sponsored items push you well down the listing.  Unless I am missing something this forum requires Gold membership to sell stuff?  That is great value if you are a regular seller, but not worth £72 a year if you are just clearing the odd few bits out that you have decided you no longer need.  Any suggestions?

LSWRArt 

I think you will find if you use one of eBays promotions its now cheaper.

No need to use Paypal anymore (the change reduced total fees)

Now the funds are deposited into your bank account the next working day

Best of all you get a retail price, not trade

Be careful what you wish for, traditional auction sites charge 40% commission, that before expensive P&P charges and trade prices

Nothing is valued until its removed

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, andyman7 said:

but given how much of the sale price we get to keep these days as opposed to giving half the value to a shop or a dealer, I still think on balance ebay has done private sellers a huge favour.

Plus 1000s of people are seeing eBay listings which probably wouldn't happen elsewhere.

I would be surprised if stuff sold through the classifieds on here realises anything like as much as a punter getting over-excited on eBay, which is worth a few pence disappearing out of the postage for me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, hayfield said:

I think you will find if you use one of eBays promotions its now cheaper.

No need to use Paypal anymore (the change reduced total fees)

Now the funds are deposited into your bank account the next working day

Best of all you get a retail price, not trade

Be careful what you wish for, traditional auction sites charge 40% commission, that before expensive P&P charges and trade prices

Nothing is valued until its removed

I shouldn't grumble about it, I know especially as selling lots of little bits and pieces does tend to pay for the hobby.

I don't mind paying the eBay fees, everyone has to make a wage. Most things I sell go via free to list and 80% off fees, I just think it's a bit cheeky taxing the postage. I prefer to take stuff into the post office, prepaid or not, we've lost too many of them already.

On a different subject, I have just had my first ever negative feedback in nineteen years.

I sold a non running motorbike that needed a full restoration, it had been in pieces for nearly half a century but had been reassembled in order to see what was missing. 

All the parts you can't get were there, I titled and described it as a project that would need work in all areas. The sort of things you would throw away were AWOL, such as cables and wiring.

Bloke has a rant about not as described, total wreck, don't trust this seller etc etc.

A pity you can't leave negative feedback for buyers anymore.

But I did point out all of the above and added to the feedback "A quick wash, charge the battery and double your money next weekend only happens on television!"

• Friendly/supportive 5