Ebay annoyances

Butler Henderson

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, RFS said:

For the first time for over a year I've today not been offered 80% off fees. I've always been offered it every 2 weeks without fail. I wonder if it's just due to the holiday period, or whether there's been a change in Ebay policy. 

Had a browse through the Ebay Comminuty pages and there's a long thread (46 posts) of people complaining they've not had this weekend's offer either. Some suggestions that there are only two offers per month, and as there have already been offers on the 1st and 15th, that's the reason. But apparently it happened last year too according to this post -

"It was the same last year. eBay skipped the offer in the last week of the year. Last one in 2022 was 16th Dec, first one in 2023 was 13th Jan. So I fully expect it to return on 12th Jan.

I assume it's because they don't need to attract sellers when everyone is off-loading the socks,  handkerchiefs and other useless gifts they were given for Xmas."

So I'm hopeful the offer will return on January 12th!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hmmm, got a negative feedback earlier over a set of damaged points, the spring on them was damaged apparently 

whats p’d me off is the buyer never contacted me over any problem or request to return or refund etc. just left me negative feedback, I’ve sold a good 20 sets of points over the last month without issue, must have missed the spring while I was checking them for selling as there were others which I knew were damaged and were sold as so

not impressed 

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
On 12/01/2024 at 08:56, RFS said:

The 80% off fees offer is back today!

70% in my case.  I guess eBay have some sort of AI formula which decides who receives which offers, depending on your individual recent sales history.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, cessna152towser said:

70% in my case.  I guess eBay have some sort of AI formula which decides who receives which offers, depending on your individual recent sales history.

80% for me 🙂. I wonder how they decide!

Todays eBay annoyance… a few weeks ago I sold a loco to a non paying bidder.

Relisted it yesterday as a buy it now, and a buyer with a suspiciously similar username to the first non paying bidder has pressed buy it now, and so far not paid… 😶

• Friendly/supportive 5

• 3 weeks later...

I had no offer of 80% reduction of fees last Friday (it was 2 weeks from the previous offer) and on Saturday I started to think eBay may have changed their minds about how often these offers were being offered.

Sunday morning I received an email offering 80% off fees for 2 days only. I jumped at the offer and quickly found 3 new items and some which remained un sold from the previous offer

I have no idea if eBay have more or less items for sale, but it does seem to be fewer items (loco kits) I am interested in being offered for sale. 

On 13/01/2024 at 14:53, cessna152towser said:

I only get 70% too, though I've also got a second account which only lists some old magazines and hardly ever sells anything.  I assume they don't want to encourage that, as it doesn't even the get the 70% offer,

On 13/01/2024 at 20:14, Tofufi said:

80% for me 🙂. I wonder how they decide!

I suspect it's to do with how much profit they think you will generate for them and how easily your stuff will sell!

• Like 1

The offers are targeted and algorithmic so not everyone gets the same discount and although they generally come out every two weeks they do skip on occasions. Interestingly I too got the offer on Sunday rather than Friday this time but the date range was still shown as Friday -Monday. However the offer only goes 'live' once accepted so if they don't tell you until Sunday then it is effectively two days only.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Got my usual off of 80% off, but like others only on Sunday morning too.  Perhaps there's simply been an Ebay glitch....

• RMweb Premium

My 70% offer arrived right on the stroke of midnight last Thursday evening just as soon as Thursday turned to Friday.  I actually happened to be on eBay at that moment when the offer appeared.

Edited by cessna152towser

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Serves me right for trying to help someone!!!

An item I was selling was due to finish about 7:30 this evening.

It had been sat at about £6 for a few days but this afternoon

I had three bids taking it to £11.50.

Around 5 o'clock had a message from the last bidder

asking if I would cancel his last bid, item no longer required!!

I was out at the time, tried to cancel the bid on my phone but wasn't able to.

Got home about 10 min before bidding ended.

By the time I'd managed to cancel the bid, there was about two minutes left.

The item eventually sold for £6. What I didn't realise was the bidder

had put in two bids,  Not sure if I did something wrong but

both their bids were cancelled, taking the selling price back to 

what it was before their first bid.

£5:50 lost through trying to help someone :)

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, rab said:

Not sure if I did something wrong but both their bids were cancelled, taking the selling price back to 

I wonder if it cancels all bids by one person to prevent shill bidding. ie you can't get someone to nudge up the price bit by bit then cancel the last one to avoid them actually  winning?

Although being cynical, eBay benefit from the price being higher!

Edited by Hal Nail

11 hours ago, rab said:

Serves me right for trying to help someone!!!

An item I was selling was due to finish about 7:30 this evening.

It had been sat at about £6 for a few days but this afternoon

I had three bids taking it to £11.50.

Around 5 o'clock had a message from the last bidder

asking if I would cancel his last bid, item no longer required!!

I was out at the time, tried to cancel the bid on my phone but wasn't able to.

Got home about 10 min before bidding ended.

By the time I'd managed to cancel the bid, there was about two minutes left.

The item eventually sold for £6. What I didn't realise was the bidder

had put in two bids,  Not sure if I did something wrong but

both their bids were cancelled, taking the selling price back to 

£5:50 lost through trying to help someone :)

Very annoying, but I guess the buyer/time waster would have cancelled their order after winning the bid. Having been in sales for most of my life, you cannot count on a sale until cash changes hands. Many things get in the way between someone's stating an intention to buy and buying, sometimes there may well be a genuine reason.

For my part I keep my railway funds ringfenced, whilst on a very few occasions I will break this rule, for me its a matter of pride in keeping within my own budget. 

The other thing is, I believe in swings and roundabouts, some call it Karma. For every item you sell at a good price, you will not get as much on another sale. I view buying the same, sometimes I might slightly over pay, next time I get a real bargain. 

Good luck with further sales 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

YET ANOTHER EBAY RIP-OFF FEE !

As if they weren't ripping us off enough already, I received this message from them today about a new "regulatory operating fee"

At eBay, we value you as a seller and want to inform you about a change to our fees.

To address the rising costs associated with the increasing number and complexity of regulations impacting eBay’s marketplace - including consumer and environmental protection, as well as new taxation and customs measures - we're introducing a new regulatory operating fee.

What’s changing?

From 8 April 2024, this new regulatory operating fee will apply to all sales from listings on the following sites: UK, Austria, Belgium, France, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, and Switzerland.

How the regulatory operating fee is calculated

This fee is calculated as a fixed percentage rate (0.35%) of the total amount of the sale (which includes the item price, postage, taxes and any other applicable fees), and is subject to Value Added Tax (VAT), where applicable. This fee is in addition to any final value fees and selling-related fees you currently incur.

25 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

YET ANOTHER EBAY RIP-OFF FEE !

As if they weren't ripping us off enough already, I received this message from them today about a new "regulatory operating fee"

At eBay, we value you as a seller and want to inform you about a change to our fees.

To address the rising costs associated with the increasing number and complexity of regulations impacting eBay’s marketplace - including consumer and environmental protection, as well as new taxation and customs measures - we're introducing a new regulatory operating fee.

What’s changing?

From 8 April 2024, this new regulatory operating fee will apply to all sales from listings on the following sites: UK, Austria, Belgium, France, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, and Switzerland.

How the regulatory operating fee is calculated

This fee is calculated as a fixed percentage rate (0.35%) of the total amount of the sale (which includes the item price, postage, taxes and any other applicable fees), and is subject to Value Added Tax (VAT), where applicable. This fee is in addition to any final value fees and selling-related fees you currently incur.

If this is due to rising costs due to regulatory requirements then "Rip Off eBay fee" is both a bit strong if not inaccurate

I for one in the main wait for  the weekends where 80% reduction on selling fees operate, plus I value the protection from sharp trading practices (which are not available on traditional  auction sites which charge up to 20 times the fee). Moving from about 2% to about 2.4% I think is still good if not great value. Looking at the list of countries involved it seems a coordinated action from several countries 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

For every £10.00 that's an additional fee of 3.5p on top of the usual fees. 

Or 35p per £100 plus the usual. 

So, spit dummy out and stop using ebay or carry on and cough up....

And there are always the classifieds on here. 

Rob

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

For every £10.00 that's an additional fee of 3.5p on top of the usual fees. 

Or 35p per £100 plus the usual. 

So, spit dummy out and stop using ebay or carry on and cough up....

And there are always the classifieds on here. 

Rob

Rob

I watch the BBC programs like bargain hunt, antiques road trip and flog it and see the joy of selling items. Mostly they get trade prices and both parties pay 20% each for the service. And nobody moans.  On a recent sale I should have paid £3.50 and ended up paying 90p (80% off weekend). at worst the new fee ends up at 10p unless. I got a good price so its much better than getting trade and paying 20% at both ends. At the end of the day it comes down to what ends up in your pocket. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Rob

I watch the BBC programs like bargain hunt, antiques road trip and flog it and see the joy of selling items. Mostly they get trade prices and both parties pay 20% each for the service. And nobody moans.  On a recent sale I should have paid £3.50 and ended up paying 90p (80% off weekend). at worst the new fee ends up at 10p unless. I got a good price so its much better than getting trade and paying 20% at both ends. At the end of the day it comes down to what ends up in your pocket. 

Exactly. It’s not a drama. Funnily enough, my fortnightly 80% off message has landed.................

Rob

• Like 1

Last week my fortnightly 80% off was replaced with 100% off, but it lasts for 2 months.  Bit of a nuisance as I relist everything every 4 weeks, so I will only get the chance to do this once, then I will have to end my listings and hope the 80%'s start again.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, daltonparva said:

Last week my fortnightly 80% off was replaced with 100% off, but it lasts for 2 months.  Bit of a nuisance as I relist everything every 4 weeks, so I will only get the chance to do this once, then I will have to end my listings and hope the 80%'s start again.

Blimey, they must like you.