Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

I saw them at Model Rail Scotland today . I’m swung . I’ll be looking for the red one Katie, looks fantastic. I wasn’t going to bother as my Huntley and Palmers Peckett sits in a siding most of the time doing nothing, but it really is cute.

One little puggy can indeed be lonely, but introduce him to the lovely Katie and before you know where you are...  :jester:  

I saw them at Model Rail Scotland today . I’m swung . I’ll be looking for the red one Katie, looks fantastic. I wasn’t going to bother as my Huntley and Palmers Peckett sits in a siding most of the time doing nothing, but it really is cute.

Doesn't Katie have big buffers!!!   ;)

Been a bit busy of late, but here's a few stills taken during my latest little running session of 16" "Katie". Found the red of "Katie" was a bit hard to pick up the right tone on camera (had the same issue when I photograph my Red ESSO Sentinel). 

I'll post a few picks of 14" "Little Barford" a bit later.

Here's a link to my review video from the other week

Hope there of interest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joPAp-G29Nw

post-20663-0-03372000-1519670580_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-21643800-1519670593_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-15798400-1519670634_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-49751100-1519670684_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-32077400-1519670758_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-07233800-1519670793_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-89428700-1519670812_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-00010000-1519670895_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-83840600-1519670909_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-94719400-1519670953_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-07571200-1519670966_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-34242300-1519670979_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-25060900-1519670993_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-50973000-1519671015_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-09992000-1519671026_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-88162900-1519671045_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-79662400-1519671075_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-19012700-1519671152_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-36334800-1519671174_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-87143300-1519671238_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-64348400-1519671262_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-72166100-1519671302_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-47329800-1519671322_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-17759000-1519671466_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-75475500-1519671483_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-68402300-1519671506_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I think that I may have had a brainfart. The engine for the Caledonian Railway wasn’t built until 1926 (according to something I came across last night). That’s three years after the Caley was subsumed into the LMS. What gives?

Edited by truffy

• RMweb Premium

I think that I may have had a brainfart. The engine for the Caledonian Railway wasn’t built until 1926 (according to something I came across last night). That’s three years after the Caley was subsumed into the LMS. What gives?

Think it’s an ‘as preserved’ livery

Doesn't Katie have big buffers!!!   ;)

I have ordered a Katie as I could not resist - my wife's name is Katie. I showed her the order for Katie and she was most impressed. I think though if I tell her she has big buffers I may end up sleeping in the shed.  :scratchhead:

Edited by SimonMW
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you check earlier posts, its as preserved. As I noted earlier

This loco was sent new to the Sugar Beet factory at Cupar in Fife. She was in regular used until the late 1960s when it was replaced by a diesel, and left at the back of the Factory. Following closure in 1980, it was bought for preservation and used on the Caledonian Railway at Brechin. Running in plain green, it operated short trips out from Brechin station while the line was being extended to Bridge of Dun. BY the time the line reached BoD in 1992, it had fallen out of use.

Following a change of hands in 1996, it was overhauled at Brechin and out shopped in 1999 in this livery, in which it ran on trains from Brechin to Bridge of Dun until 2009 when its 10 year ticket expired. After its overhaul, it came out in 2012 in a plain black livery with CR on the tanks (an approximation of Caledonian goods black livery). 

If you check earlier posts, its as preserved. As I noted earlier

When I search on 'preserved' I see that to be the case. But you have to know to search on 'preserved', or wade through over 650 posts over 27 pages. Not all of them strictly on-topic! ;)

Yep Katie on order . According to the very pleasant guy on the Hattons stand at Model Rail Scotland Katie is proving the most popular.

I really don't understand why that one is so popular. The livery has no historic significance and as far as I know it's only something the loco has carried whilst stuffed and mounted at that garden centre in Cheshire. It has never steamed in that livery and as a model it's a particularly nasty shade of red, IMHO, of course.

Perhaps it's that this is the only one that has the open-backed cab and folks like to be able to see the backhead detail? I'd like to see Hattons do the same loco (2226) in it's working livery whilst at ICI Huddersfield, a nice shade of greeny-blue, with wasp stripe buffer beams and ICI logos.

Just as a point of pedantry, the Hattons Katie model has ladders up the side of the tank but 2226 never had such ladders, either in industry or in preservation.

I'll get me coat and tin hat...

• RMweb Gold

Each to their own really :) , Hattons would have a problem if we all liked just one too ;)

I guess a lot of people are going to use them for a freelance industry so as an unbranded livery it's quite versatile for that. I like a couple of the others but will want to remove parts of the lettering as they define them too much for my freelance layout.

I really don't understand why that one is so popular. The livery has no historic significance and as far as I know it's only something the loco has carried whilst stuffed and mounted at that garden centre in Cheshire. It has never steamed in that livery and as a model it's a particularly nasty shade of red, IMHO, of course.

Perhaps it's that this is the only one that has the open-backed cab and folks like to be able to see the backhead detail? I'd like to see Hattons do the same loco (2226) in it's working livery whilst at ICI Huddersfield, a nice shade of greeny-blue, with wasp stripe buffer beams and ICI logos.

Just as a point of pedantry, the Hattons Katie model has ladders up the side of the tank but 2226 never had such ladders, either in industry or in preservation.

Well said. Whilst being delighted that Hattons are producing these characterful locos Katie in that livery seems a pity. As ICI 2226, it did also run once or twice at the KWVR in the days before the railway opened. It was used on timetable trial trains with Peckett 1999.

Might just be beause it has a nonedescript livery and will fit in anywhere.

Perhaps it's that this is the only one that has the open-backed cab and folks like to be able to see the backhead detail? 

Nope, there's a few of them with open-backed cabs including the faux Caley livery 

I guess a lot of people are going to use them for a freelance industry so as an unbranded livery it's quite versatile for that. I like a couple of the others but will want to remove parts of the lettering as they define them too much for my freelance layout.

Yes, I'd agree there. The present releases are very heavily skewed towards preservation and some very specific locationscompanies. As I've said before, some generic liveries would be a good thing, the originals were go-anywhere locos and the models ought to be too.

• RMweb Premium

It’s the red livery that did it . The green ones look nice but ordinary. The red livery makes it stand out. Will complement my Huntley and Palmers Pecket bought for its blue livery Nicely. Each to his own

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well said. Whilst being delighted that Hattons are producing these characterful locos Katie in that livery seems a pity. As ICI 2226, it did also run once or twice at the KWVR in the days before the railway opened. It was used on timetable trial trains with Peckett 1999.

;) Isn't 12 liveries enough to find one you like rather than worrying about this preserved ish one ;)

There's always options for the next batch :)

As others have said, it's not the only one with an open-back cab.

But I think the fact that it's essentially a fictitious livery is actually part of the appeal. If you're modelling a freelance industrial shunting plank (and a lot of us are, now!), then you don't necessarily want a loco that clearly belongs somewhere else running on it. It's a lot easier to come up with a fictitious backstory that has "Katie" working in the yard of the Lower Wittering In The Marsh Mechanical Engineering Corporation than it is a loco in Burnley Gas Department or CPC livery. It's the same reason why the ex-works liveries on the Hornby Peckett ("Dodo" and 560) have been popular.

Plus, of course, an "as-preserved" livery (even if only loosely) is suitable for someone who normally models the contemporary DEMU scene, but wants to include the occasional preserved kettle. Or even used as the basis for a short preservation line (ex-industrials, along with Austerity 0-6-0s, are a staple of many smaller preserved lines). And, while I can see that some might find the bright red livery a bit off-putting, it's also the most distinctive livery and some people may like it just because it's different.

Assuming these sell well enough for Hatton's to produce another run, I'd quite like to see one in ex-works livery (or a more subdued fictitious livery!). I think that would sell well, too.

Edited by MarkSG

I ordered Katie as well.

Not just because it is a pretty little thing, but because I remember it sitting in Haworth yard in 1968 when first preserved.

post-13358-0-21707400-1519829649_thumb.jpg

Taken on the day of the BR 15-guinea special in 1968.  So when did AB2226 lose the cab back sheet it carried when working for ICI?

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 4

Miserable git :jester:

Edited by alfsboy