Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

I have Coronation on pre-order, but I am developing a feeling that one of these is just not going to be enough..............

John

Ha ha! Yes small tanks so long ignored and as the Pecketts proved so tempting in a variety of liveries ;)

I think Hattons chose very wisely there with a loco that allowed lots of options and so many in one go! :)

So these are models you paid for?

Probably better in future if you receive advance copies to declare that like the mags do. If your YouTube reviews are now attracting review copies and you make money from the adverts alongside, if not actual free goods, I think its best to declare it. ;)

Hi Paul.

Yes, they are all paid for. It will be cover in the video when I get around to it.   :)

So these are models you paid for?

Probably better in future if you receive advance copies to declare that like the mags do. If your YouTube reviews are now attracting review copies and you make money from the adverts alongside, if not actual free goods, I think its best to declare it. ;)

Youtube adverts never made anyone rich so I see no need for a channel owner to declare they make a minuscule amount of money from the adverts, as it is something paltry like $2 per 1,000 views that we actually get. If you see adverts on a video then the creator is getting some of those peanuts but it won't be enough to cover their time making the video, let alone the cost of the model being reviewed. Consider it a very small payment on the amount of time that goes into researching, filming and editing. On a very good day, the editing of a simple 10 minute video can take up 30 minutes on the computer. Add to that the time taken to film it (often three to four times as much footage is filmed, plus set up shots etc) no-one is getting rich quick off Youtube review videos. People do it as much as anything as a service to other modellers so you can see the model warts and all before you buy it.

I'm not having a go, just felt it was worth pointing out that the adverts aren't about making lots of money, regardless of whether the product is a private sale (as SDJR7F88 has stated it is) or otherwise.

Edited by Jenny Emily

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul.

Yes, they are all paid for. It will be cover in the video when I get around to it. :)

Ta :)

Youtube adverts never made anyone rich so I see no need for a channel owner to declare they make a minuscule amount of money from the adverts, as it is something paltry like $2 per 1,000 views that we actually get. It also is completely irrelevant to what the subject of the video is about. If you see adverts on a video then the creator is getting some of those peanuts but it won't be enough to cover their time making the video, let alone the cost of the model being reviewed.

No offence taken Jenny :)

I only suggested it's declared it's an advance review model so people know it's got an element of marketing involved, not that you are making stacks of money off the reviews as such :)

As Youtubers impartiality isn't known there's a subtle difference between a paid for reviewed model and one supplied for review because company hopes for a favourable review. This kind of falls in between as it's in advance of general release.

I'm not suggesting any impropriety on either side as it's normal practice with magazines but they hold a place of trust by it being known and I'm guessing Hattons chose his reviews as they are honest and generally positive rather than ranting. It's just fair to the viewer to declare it when some benefit is given, in this case getting the model in advance, so they can use that towards an informed decision. People already accuse the mags of being too cosy at times but I disregard that because it's obvious they are a seperate entity balancing their customer against the opportunity to review new products.

Andy was similarly open when RMweb moved under the BRM banner and we still trust his reviews because of that openness ;)

So no dig at either just a polite request for declaring the link.

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Quickly getting your product exposure on Youtube. Smart idea that.

Yep, on top of their own stuff too and I do feel the credibility will be further enhanced by stating it's his own money that bought them :)

I managed to get Katie out again this morning on a little test run.

Really does run very well, slow and smooth, with no issues to report on my Peco Insulfrog Points.

I won't be able to comment on how accurate the model compares to the prototype in the video, as I'm no expert on the class. The History on the class(es) has been quite hard to find. Credit to the Hattons team for what they could find out out them. 

I've got a show with my 009 Scale WW1 Trench Railway this weekend, so will hopefully film the video on Monday. :)

post-20663-0-22749200-1518198539_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I managed to get Katie out again this morning on a little test run.

Really does run very well, slow and smooth, with no issues to report on my Peco Insulfrog Points.

I won't be able to comment on how accurate the model compares to the prototype in the video, as I'm no expert on the class. The History on the class(es) has been quite hard to find. Credit to the Hattons team for what they could find out out them.

I've got a show with my 009 Scale WW1 Trench Railway this weekend, so will hopefully film the video on Monday. :)

Since you’ve got one handy perhaps you can solve one small mystery. In the unboxing video a small package is shown that looks to have vac pipes inside. Now there appear to be holes in the buffer beams that would take pipes so this would make sense but no mention of the pipes appears in the video. Can you help?

EDIT: I just watched the video again and answered my own question. Brake pipes are included and I need my eyes checked. Sigh.....

Cheers,

David

Edited by davknigh

Given that Falmouth docks used 0-4-0 saddletanks to help move ships around the harbour there might actually be such a signal  .

Aye, but they were Falmouth Packets Pecketts Pucketts as produced by Horny.

6089261061_cbc5368d51_b.jpgIndustrial steam loco at Falmouth by jon33040, on Flickr

6089258355_4739a10957_b.jpgSteam loco shunting in Falmouth Docks by jon33040, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/9mPpdT

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

I have a Burnley Gas Works  one on order which I'm intending to bodge into a reasonable facsimilie of one of the Aberdeen Gas Works ones. Its the right shade of blue, rumour has it the existing lettering will come off easily and Narrow Planet will do the rest. There are other differences including a re-arranged rear end, but I probably can live with those. What I do need to do though is fit side skirts.

Fortunately I'm in possession of some brass etches [knew those cheap Flying Scotsman cabs would come in handy one of these days] which can be cut up. However I've never actually tried using the stuff and would like to practice first

Would some kind person in actual possession of one of these little beasties be able to advise

[a] as to the length between the rear of the cylinders and the front of the cab

the height of the underside of the running plate off the floor, and

[c] confirm that the motion bracket won't interfere and that there's space under the running plate for a couple of thin brass brackets without interfering with the gubbins

Any assistance will be much appreciated

Edited by Caledonian

That looks more like an RSH to me....

Cheers,

David

No.3 wasn't a Peckett (likewise 2&5) but I beleive several were Pecketts, definitely No.6

If anyone knows more about the locos used on Falmouth docks, please drop me a PM, it's a topic I'm highly interested in!

I'm don't beleive I've ever seen No.1 or 4

Source: photos, working on the docks and climbing over No.6

Back on topic, I cancelled my Katie and swapped it for coronation after thinking the red looked plasticy but now having seen more photos I'm doubting my decision and I can't afford both

Edited by WD0-6-0

No.3 wasn't a Peckett (likewise 2&5) but I beleive several were Pecketts, definitely No.6

If anyone knows more about the locos used on Falmouth docks, please drop me a PM, it's a topic I'm highly interested in!

I'm don't beleive I've ever seen No.1 or 4

Source: photos, working on the docks and climbing over No.6

Back on topic, I cancelled my Katie and swapped it for coronation after thinking the red looked plasticy but now having seen more photos I'm doubting my decision and I can't afford both

From the Industrial Railway Society book.

Falmouth Docks No. 6 was Peckett 1530 of 1919, a 14" cylindered W5 class.  Similar to the Hornby but much newer.

Four of the rest were Hawthorn Leslies.  1 to 3 had 12" cylinders, and 4 had 14" cylinders- I think the High Level and former Centre Models kits cover No.4.

No. 3 (later No.1) HL 3597 of 1926

No.2 scrapped 1961)  HL 3598 of 1927.

No.1 (later No.3 and scrapped 1961)    HL 3648 of 1927

No.4 (scrapped 1967) HL 3670 of 1927

No.5 was Hudswell Clarke 1632 of 1929.  This had 14" cylinders.  Was it similar to NELLIE at Bradford sewage works?  If so there is an ex-Agenoria kit for this.

5 and 6 were ex- Cooperative Wholesale Society Irlam in 1961.

Hope all this helps.

Les

edited for typo

Edited by Les1952

One thanks rating isn't enough for That, that's all the information I've been looking for! I work on the docks and though much of the internal railway is gone I still enjoy seeing what's left of the rails! I plan to model all 6 and the sentinel at some point!

Thanks again!

Rhys

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Hi all,

Over the weekend we have had an update from our freight company.  Due to the volume of traffic going through the ports at Chinese New Year, there was a delay in finding a container for our Barclays at the port and in turn this led to them missing their intended sailing.  The locos have therefore been returned to the factory for storage until the end of the holidays as both the Factory and Port facility are closed until then.  They will both open up again at the end of this month and the Barclays will leave as soon as they do. 

This will mean a revised delivery date of 9th April 2018.

Cheers,

Dave