Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

Le's hope the Hatton's model doesn't have that feature. Industrial locos didn't have shed plates. 

It would depend on whether they are depicting them "as preserved" (which they are for some of them, at least), in which case the shed plates would be accurate. 

• Like 1

Seeing as its been mentioned a few times, I thought I'd give the van a brief moment of glory in a picture of its own. 

attachicon.gifvan.jpg

Ah, splendid. I'm glad somebody thought it worthwhile to take a photie, and eminently modelable too, I wonder how long before we see it on a layout - with a wee Barclay too of course.

I have ordered the GWR version of the loco as it suits my small layout. I would like to know where it was based when working. Can anybody tell me?

Dan-y-Graig, Swansea, I think. I dare say you could invent suitable duties for your own purposes.

Adam

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the opportunity to take a good look at, and run, a 14" AB. Really impressed with the quality and running. For me, it's as good as, if not better in some respects, than Hornby's Peckett and we know how popular that's been!

Thank you, Andy. Superb photography as usual. If Hatton’s uses brass whistles and paints the non-black wheels, it’ll be a head start!

• RMweb Premium

I'm slightly concerned by what appears to be a flat, vertical plate between the inner spring hangers.  I'd expect to see a curved boiler underside there.

I'm more concerned about the see through paint job in Andy's photo, I hope mine come with more paint on them.

Seriously we've been through this before, It's hardly noticeable on the finished models.

• Like 1

Seriously we've been through this before, It's hardly noticeable on the finished models.

But  for those where that that particular aspect rankles, given time there will be a solution.

P

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm slightly concerned by what appears to be a flat, vertical plate between the inner spring hangers. I'd expect to see a curved boiler underside there.

we can probably put this issue to bed once and for all...

So far all pics have been close ups, which often are bigger than the model.

Maybe a picture of one, on a layout with a half dozen wagons, showing how small this loco is in the scheme of things, and from even a close view no one will be able to see the bottom of the boiler, let alone know it’s straight.

I’ve got a few of these on order, and have no concerns from what I’ve seen.

Edited by adb968008

So far all pics have been close ups, which often are bigger than the model.

Maybe a picture of one, on a layout with a half dozen wagons, showing how small this loco is in the scheme of things, and from even a close view no one will be able to see the bottom of the boiler, let alone know it’s straight.

I’ve got a few of these on order, and have no concerns from what I’ve seen.

I agree and would also suggest that whilst otherwise very helpful Andy's X-ray vision photie unduly accentuates the feature

• RMweb Gold

I ordered one when I had been drinking. Hopefully it's one of my better inebriated purchases! ;)

I haven't ordered one yet, but I also haven't been drinking much. Perhaps I'd better drink some more and then I can have an Andrew Barclay too.

How inebriated do you have to be to order one of these, Corbs? (in the interests of 'research').

It really does depend on the level of detail/compromise you're willing to accept - matters like this are down to the individual modeler, thus cannot be "put to bed" as you suggest.

To put it simply: Industrial railways are what I model. I want to be able to portray small locomotives built by a variety of British (careful now..) locomotive manufacturers going about their business in an industrial setting. Moreover, much like many mainline modelers, I want to model specific locomotives in a fixed era, with any modifications received during their working lives. Prototypical appearance is therefore very important to me and if I'm to buy a rtr industrial loco it had better be able to stand side by side with my kit built models. In this regard, the Hattons AB falls a little short of making me "wow" I'm afraid. 

Of course, I am accepting that I am in the minority. I would remind people that seeing as this is a forum - different opinions/approaches should be valued. I won't be ordering one, but I wish Hattons every success with the model. Such a venture deserves to do well, though personally I think it's a shame that the execution is not 100%.

Paul A. 

• Like 1

Not too long ago i spent £53 on a Dapol/Hornby Austerity and ended up throwing most of it away then spending an awul lot of time and effort turning the remaining £5.30's-worth of plastic into something worthwhile.

I really dont want to spend £99 on a Hattons Barclay to end up going through the same process again.

Can someone convince me I wouldnt be better-off cancelling my order with Hattons and going the Mercian Models route?